Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for an alternative to Banff...

Poster: A snowHead
We've been travelling across the pond to Banff for the last few years but now that ther are no direct flights from Scotland I'm thinking to look back to Europe again. What I love about Lake Louise are the tree lined runs and the varied terrain in the bowls, but what I really love is the fact that it is quiet compared to pretty much all the European resorts I've visited (mainly 3 valleys, Deux Alpes.). So what suggestions would you make for Europe, or do I just take the pain of having to travel through London and go back to Canada....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry, but I think you already know the answer to your question!
We have tried several other places in Europe,- but we always go back to Banff and we always love it more each time we go. We have never wanted to go back to any other euro resorts and we wouldn't go back to Whistler. Banff is always worth the journey it takes to get there.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No matter where I go - there's just nowhere can compare to Lake Louise! A ride up that Summit Platter and you've got the world at your feet.

Gosh, I want to go to aircanada.ca just thinking about it! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ac505 wrote:
what I really love is the fact that it is quiet compared to pretty much all the European resorts I've visited (mainly 3 valleys, Deux Alpes.).

The quietest areas of Europe tend to be Norway. If you go back to Canada, you'll find almost all the other resorts (with the exception of Whistler) quieter than Lake Louise.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Would going to manchester be an option and get flights from Canadain affair?

KLM may also be an option (can be pricey but you may be lucky). They would do a regional hop to Schipol and then over to Calgary.

Agree with ROb W. I find Lake Louise very crowded- but then I have only gone at the weekend.

I would try somewhere else in Canada.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
gryphea, KLM don't go direct AMS-YYC, instead it's a codeshare with NWA and you go via Seattle or Minneapolis (IIRC). You can go AMS-YVR though.

Lake Louise in January is *not* crowded! Very Happy

I went to Norway this year too Jan/Feb and it was beautifully deserted and would recommend it... if you've got deep pockets! Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Big Sky or Whitefish in Montana. They make LL look like Oxford st, and get much better snow in Dec-Feb timeframe.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ac505, I've not been to Canada so can't really compare but the Italian Dolomites offer stunning scenery and loads of tree lined runs. Quiet compared to the big resorts in France you have mentioned and much more charm (IMHO) but still best to pick the week you go. I think Inghams do Selva/Ortisei from Edinburgh. What week(s) were you actually intending to go ?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
KLM do now fly direct from Amsterdam to Calgary (not every day but 3 days a week I think). Times (from Edinburgh) below. The seats are in the sale just now.

09:40 Edinburgh
12:20 Amsterdam
14:30 Amsterdam
15:50 Calgary

18:45 Calgary
11:30Amsterdam
15:05 Amsterdam
15:35 Edinburgh
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alexandra,

KLM started the flights in May this year
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How bizarre, I looked at their website just the other day and couldn't see anything - maybe I picked the days they don't do, or not looked carefully enough and assumed the connection! This would be great for me! Very Happy Nice flight times too! Just checked... 100 euros more than going Air Canada from Frankfurt with a more difficult drive. Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ac505. You don't state what type of trip you're looking at, DIY or TO (I'm maybe guessing it's the former), but if you have ever considered the TO route, there are a lot of flights out of Manchester. Loads.

And if you're mainly into slopetime, and staying in Banff/LL, there are plenty of (really competitive) deals out there at the mo that may turn your head. Loads.

Depends how much you want it.

I know Manchester is not Scotland, but it's not London either (about 3-4 hours not London). Having flown out of MAN for the last eight years to YYC, there always seem to be more than a few Scots (judging by the accents) choose this route.

And if you really want to see quiet, try Jasper (Marmot). You sometimes have to remind yourself the place is open, some(midweek)days. Empty slopes, treelined runs, no lift queues. Has it's drawbacks (transfer mainly), and not everyones cup of tea, but well worth the effort.

And some really quite ridiculous deals too, or could be done as a two centre with Banff/LL, over two weeks, as it's only around three or so hours north from there.

John.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We drive the four hours down from Fife in Scotland to Manchester every year to get the flight to Calgary. We did look at doing it on schedule flights from Scotland and doing it DIY, but couldn't get a price anywhere near the TO price!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We'll definately go the TO route, just checking KLM, it is about £300 more expensive than a Crystal holiday to The Banff Aspen Lodge! Then, I would have to add the accomodation.

I've not seen any good deals yet, our '07 holiday for a week was about £650, the '08 holiday for a fortnight was about £750, the cheapest I've seen this yr is around £850 for a week.

I think Man will be the route we take. BCJohnny, can you tell me where you are seeing the deals, I'll get checking them out!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Inghams are normally cheaper than crystal
snow conditions
SnowboardVicky wrote:
Inghams are normally cheaper than crystal

wink

We booked early (May), and are going out to Jasper, flts/tfrs/accom two weeks for £507 ea, mid March.

Just keep watching the Inghams site, every couple of days or so, and see what deals they bring up. When they do "double discount" you can save up to a couple of hundred quid apiece, on the brochure price.

Crystal, IMO, are on average more expensive.

Snowboardvicky, perchance I've heard your Scottish brogue on one of the flights................

ac505 People tend to think DIY is always more cost effective.

John.
snow report
BCjohnny, - Doubtful - I come from Lancashire originally - been here in Scotland for the last 15 years though - If we're in Canada then we always travel the middle weeks of January when the prices are at their lowest and the slopes are at their quietest! So probably have shared flight or two over the years. Head out Wednesday 13th January next year for ten days to Kimberley as a change from our usual Jasper
ski holidays
BCjohnny, I must admit I do... but with the schedule flights going up in price I'm not sure the TOs can be beaten this year. Sad Drat. I love organising my own trip though and I prefer to stay more than the 14 days which I'm not sure is always possible with a TO.

ac505, keep an eye on www.travelzoo.com for the best of the best deals! Very Happy
ski holidays
Alexandra wrote:
I love organising my own trip though and I prefer to stay more than the 14 days which I'm not sure is always possible with a TO.

Yes it is. Speak to them. Earlier this year in Fernie three guys I got talking to had come out with a TO (Inghams/Crystal?) and they had organised a third week. The extra cost was something like £250 over the two week deal.

John.
snow report
I dont what is the rationale for this but in a number of years doing this I have never found a tour op price which is cheaper than what I can do DIY for Whistler but ,conversely, when we went to Banff I went tour op because I couldnt come close to their deals.............why is that?
snow report
malcolm1, Limited flights to Calgary ? and TO deals with the hotels - I would suspect. Confused
snow report
malcolm1, Large overcapacity of hotel rooms in the winter in Banff, as summers the high season there, so discount deals are done with TO's to fill rooms. Whereas Whistler is primerily a ski resort and winter is their high season.
snow conditions
malcolm1, Overcapacity, and hype.

The hype surrounding WB (mostly deserved) means that the massive premium TO's charge over other Ca destinations isn't offputting enough not to fill the slots they have (with a little discount). The Olympics has only heightened the profile. The place has always been a kind of global mecca.

So working out a decent DIY deal becomes easier.

And as Rookiemark says, WB's high season is low season in Banff, LL, Jasper etc (the park resorts).

It was not always the case (price wise), maybe the last four or five years. But if you look at WB now, and a corresponding date elsewhere in Ca, you will often pay a 80-100% premium. And in my opinion, all things considered, you don't get twice the trip. Only if nightlife is as important as any other aspect is the premium justifable, IMO, speaking as a married fortysomething.

This, and the fact that my "requirements" have changed, mean that I'm much happier at the "lesser" Ca resorts.

John.
snow conditions
pokemon wrote:
ac505, I've not been to Canada so can't really compare but the Italian Dolomites offer stunning scenery and loads of tree lined runs. Quiet compared to the big resorts in France you have mentioned and much more charm (IMHO) but still best to pick the week you go. I think Inghams do Selva/Ortisei from Edinburgh. What week(s) were you actually intending to go ?

+1

I've been to both, they're different but comparable, here's the evidence:

Lovely Lake Louise taken in Feb 2008, I know what you mean ac505, I fell in love too. I would like to return some day, but you won't be getting second best with this recommendation:

And now for the Dolomites:

Captivating Corvara

Spectacular San Cassiano

Amazing Armentarola

Scintillating Selva

Pros: Awesome Scenery, Fun Atmosphere, Delicious Food, Extent of skiing and did I mention the scenery?

Cons: Natural snowfall in bad snow years (last season was awesome from dec onwards), pick your week to avoid the busier times (New Year & February particularly Carnevale week). Before Xmas, mid Jan and March onwards can be blissfully quiet. The Dolomites photos are mostly from 1st week Jan 2009, after New Year.

All the best with your decisions.

Apologies if images are unwieldy for any with mobile downloads, but they are the downsized ones that link to full-size
ski holidays
luigi, Thanks for the pictures - am returning to the Dolomites in Feb after three years away, and your pictures bring it all flooding back - can't wait!
ski holidays
Inghams were ridiculous for prices to Lake Louise last year, we very nearly took a late booking first week of March 2009 with an upgrade to air canada, 10 days 429 each in the fairmont at banff. Lake Louise was coming in at under 400 iirc for the chateau, it was only lift pass cost that stopped me. 7 days was considerably more expensive.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy