Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone fly from up North to Innsbruck for Easter 2010??

Poster: A snowHead
I can't seem to find weekend flights on Easyjet, they did them last year, but finished 19th April 2009, and now only seem to do Tues and Thurs???

Cheers,

greg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I phoned First Choice to get my boys flights booked from Edinburgh to Innsbruck, but essentially Crystal do same but not on website - you need to call. Think Thomas Cook do from Manchaster. Also look at Lufthansa. Don't know if you would consider driving to Stanstead but Ryanair do go to Friedrichshafen and have good flight times - if you were thinking of heading to Arlberg. Crystal's flight from Newcastle has excellent flight times too but you'll pay around £240 per flight with Crystal. I'm paying £500 all in to fly into Munich (easyJet) then back via Memmingen (Ryanair) for 5 of us with 4 bags in hold plus ski carriage etc - doing that as flight times were good from Edinburgh and saves me £700 compared with Crystal. Also look at Zurich for Arlberg - very good train links.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers will need to get on the phones! Nowt online, Swiss quote of £769 to Zurich! Swings the balance back in favour of France!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I guess it depends a little on which direction you're heading after you've arrived in Innsbruck, is Munich an option worth looking into?
EasyJet fly on a Sunday from Manchester to Munich, at the moment they're advertising flights for £30 one way. Also, look at Lufthansa - Manchester/Munich. If you have to land in Innsbruck, Lufthansa also have indirect flights from Manchester to Innsbruck, usually via Frankfurt.

Enjoy searching Toofy Grin Finding flights always takes longer than you would ever believe!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SaraJ, cheers, I was aiming for the Alberg which is 330km from Munich according to the Stuben webpage Sad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, bmi do a flight to Zurich from Edinburgh anyway, so would presume doable from down south too. BA do Innsbruck too.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boabski, cheers but I am in Leeds, so trying to avoid Edinburgh or going down south!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, Try syscanner.net to find the best flights. It lists most of the airlines that operate in Europe and is quite easy to find flights. It should save you a lot of time searching all the individual airlines websites.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, My Austrian geography is not all it could be, but don't forget the LBA to Salzburg flights on a saturday (I've no idea what sort of a drive that would leave you with).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
google says 60km Salzburg to St Anton, but the flight is pricing up at £180-£200!

Jet2 prices are about 20% up on last year for LBA to GVA (about 5% of this is tax rises and the rest is fair inceases), and there are fewer flights also.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski, I would class Leeds as 'down south' from where I am wink Salzburg is do-able too for Arlberg. Have done it on way back from Oberlech one year. Train from Langen (if going to Stuben) to Innsbruck, change platform then all the way to Salzburg. Took 3 hours and cost something like €35 a head - very comfortable and pleasant journey I hasten to add.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
www.whichbudget.com is also good, shows which airlines fly to and from where
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
midgetbiker wrote:
google says 60km Salzburg to St Anton

Actually I don't think that's the St Anton I was wanting it to direct me to - seems too close to me (even with my geography).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Of course you could try changing for Innsbruck at Frankfurt or some other German/Austrian hub
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
275km Salzburg airport to St Anton am Arlberg
latest report
Isn't there a Manchester Zurich flight with one of the budgets? Edit - actually just checked and no there isn't.
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
Of course you could try changing for Innsbruck at Frankfurt or some other German/Austrian hub

yup that is a possibilty, looked at KLM and a few others but the price ain't cheap!

Good old Easyjet when I asked about Liverpool to Innsbruck on a Sunday have replied:

Quote:
I am sorry we are unable at the moment to give you an answer, but I would suggest that you register for email updates on the easyJet web site
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
275km Salzburg airport to St Anton am Arlberg

..which isn't going to be cheap or quick!!

Starting to realise why France is so popular now, lots more options to get there and back!!

Cheers,

greg
snow conditions
Looks like Stansted is going to be your best bet - did it the year before last and the flight times are good for max ski time. Still bloody frustrating to have to drive south when LBA is so close, lets hope Ryanair widen the choice of destinations they now offer as an alternative to Jet2.
ski holidays
midgetbiker, yeh very annoying really, I have Liverpool, Manchester, LBA all within 1hr 30mins away and no options under £700 for a family of 4!!
latest report
kitenski, If I've got this right, you want to fly from the North to Austria for the 2nd week of the Easter holidays wheer you want ski-in ski-out accommodation for a family .... and you want it to be cheap as chips ?

Gotta admit, I admire your optimism !

One of those criteria may have to give a little, which one ?
snow conditions
masmith, Well not cheap as chips, let say under £3k for family of 4 inc flights, HB, lift passes, kiddie ski hire.

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
FWIW I did £300 Man->Geneva last Easter inc 2 lots of ski carriage
latest report
kitenski wrote:

that's for 4 people yeah ?
snow report
masmith wrote:
kitenski wrote:

that's for 4 people yeah ?

Yup Smile and return flights Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
maybe it's back to your thoughts on driving again - 600miles Rotterdam to StAnton, should be quicker than my drive to Chamonix, 8-10 hrs in a decent car maybe £180 in fuel and £300 on the boat.
ski holidays
midgetbiker wrote:
maybe it's back to your thoughts on driving again - 600miles Rotterdam to StAnton, should be quicker than my drive to Chamonix, 8-10 hrs in a decent car maybe £180 in fuel and £300 on the boat.

yeh that's an option, even considered stopping off at Disney on the way down, which all sounds good, until I start to think about the drive home (which then puts me off!)
snow report
Fairly sure there's a charter from Birminghham to Innsbruck, was on the arrivals board last month as I transited in an Edinburgh like direction.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, Some people may disagree, but imho 2nd week of easter next year (w/c/ 10 Apr) is getting a bit late for a lot of Austrian lower altitude resorts. In a good year you'll get away with it, but going by the resorts scheduled closing dates the choice is narrowed, i.e. Kappl closes 11/4 as does Nassfeld (where we are off to the week before).
So you would need to head the the higher resorts, which tend to be pricier. Couple this with trying to find decent flights from the North and I don't envy your challenge.

Can't recall why you wanted to go to Austria, was it just to go smoewhere different to France ? If so is Saas Fee or Zermatt out of the question ? Flights with flybe.com from East Mids to Milan Malpensa less than £90 return (+bags) and then a couple of hours drive ? We did the drive a couple of years ago and found it easy and pleasant. Saas Fee has accomodation on or near to the slopes and it is high enough to ensure decent snow. I reckon this could be done within your budget ?

Zermatt I think has free lift passes for kids under 9 (or 10, can't remember) so while it may be a bit more expensive to stay there it may get cancelled out. Just some thoughts .... ? Very Happy
latest report
masmith, cheers, yes it was for somewhere different to France! I think Stuben has a good snow record, I've not found any *good* deals at Saas Fee or Zermat, but will have another look see.....

I've almost got to the 'had enough of looking' stage now Wink

From what I remember Zermatt isn't ski in/out, have to trudge thru town is that a correct memory??

Regards,

Greg
snow report
masmith wrote:
kitenski, Some people may disagree, but imho 2nd week of easter next year (w/c/ 10 Apr) is getting a bit late for a lot of Austrian lower altitude resorts.

It is getting a bit late for lower resorts any where wink but as long as the skiing is 1500m and above Austria should be ok as much as anywhere really, but expect the pistes to be very chopped up by 11 am for 'morning' sun facing slopes. Actually quite a few resorts might be closing at the end of that week !

easyjet from Bristol has been my normal route to Innsbruck, so a fews hours drive from up north would not be too bad in comparison with the alternatives
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy