Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ability Levels ?

Poster: A snowHead
I have been researching which skis to buy, having only started skiing last Xmas.

I note that most manufacturers/reviewers refer to Expert/Advanced/Intermediate/Beginner. No problem.

In researching the 'definition' of those levels ( and being based in Europe) , I came across this US definition. http://www.steamboat.com/winter-int.aspx?CategoryId=96

I'm flabbergasted. According to these definitions I am a 6/7 ( with a touch too much agressive from level 8 ) i.e Upper end Intermediate. Yet in reality this is nonsense, as whatever I may have achieved technically, I can be no more than a Beginner/Intermediate through limited experience.

This is no problem in itself other than understanding which terminology the ski manufacturers use as they use the same definitions (E/A/I/B) on both sides of The Pond, and I want to buy skis.

Can anyone through any light into my darkened recesses?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Newbie50, forget about the descriptions the ski companies put on the skis for the target user - they tend to pander to the skiers vanity.

If you're 6/7 on that chart then you should be looking at Advanced Intermediate skis IMO.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Newbie50, bear in the mind that this is an american blue. Unlike Europe where each resort in each country makes up its own mind which pistes deserve which grading of green, blue, red and black, (to get the best mix of rourists he said cynically) the States use green, blue and black (two versionsof black)

I have not skied in US but I am sure someone will chip in with an explanation of the comparison/differences
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
B00thy, similar to Europe, each resort chooses its own grading (and for similar reasons). US blues are blue/red, and their blacks are red/black, then you get double diamond blacks, etc, which are very black.
Many skiers are around the 6/7/8 level, and most 6s can show some level of ability at level 8, but not consistently.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't forget that, in general, it takes longer to progress through the higher levels of scales such as this than it does to progress through the first few levels.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks folks , I think that answers my question although I still find it very strange.

marc gledhill, Thanks again, I shall treat myself as that - I am sure I have a long way to make that real but so what - I can always sell skis if they don't work for me. Strangely this fits with what my instructor had said. I thought he was playing to my vanity though.

B00thy, Thanks for the definitions - you imply that in the US there is an 'Official' grading structure for slopes. You mean our Stateside cousins do not cynically do this for commercial reasons? I am amazed !

Wear The Fox Hat, Thanks for the re-definition of colours - makes me firmly 6ish , edging 7ish . You mean I have to become consistent? Be a first for me in any form of activity.

Timberwolf, Yes , totally understand your point, and can see that this must be true. Does beg the observation that the scale has been created to appeal to people's egos rather than be a good USEFUL linear definition though, doesn't it?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lies, damn lies, and skier ratings you mean ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not forgetting piste gradings Timberwolf!

Oh Newbie50, I just had a thought about parallel turns. A pure parallel turn to me means keeping the skis not only parallel throughout the turn but also keeping both skis edges in contact with snow at all times throughout the turn. I do not know whether this applies to you or not but I know that many skiers have a tendency to lift the inside ski up when negotiating turns on steeper or more difficult terrain. Level 6 does not make the distinction between "sometime, usually or always" using a parallel turn and does not indicate what constitutes a parallel turn for the context of its definition.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
B00thy, Fair point, truth of the matter is I don't know. On the (alleged) Dark Reds that I've done, I've been criticised for having my skis too wide apart when doing wide turns .. I'll have to ask the missus .

Thanks
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
B00thy, for "parallel" think: two clean, evenly spaced tracks.
Where the word "carving" is included, or implied, then it should be "railroad tracks", i.e. two clearly defined lines in the snow showing no skid component during any part of the turn, with the edges of both skis being the only parts in contact with the snow, and near equal pressure being applied to each ski.

EDIT: I forgot two key words: In control. (of speed as well as direction)

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 8-02-05 17:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Newbie50, the current preferred stance is neutral - feet about hip or shoulder width apart.
For men, the best way to describe it is: when you go to the urinal, look at your stance. That's about neutral.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Correct Wear The Fox Hat.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Except that for the perfectionist, the tackle should be inside the ski trousers while skiing. We don't want three parallel tracks in the snow.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat, Damn! I think I need a third ski boot Twisted Evil
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat, I think I may have been a little wider than that when Was castigated - although the instructor had me narrower than that when it was powdery - but I understand that is corrrect??
ski holidays
Newbie50, yes, in powder, go narrower.
ski holidays
marc gledhill, Smile

....but don't do the buckles up too tight!
snow conditions
marc gledhill, well, at least next season you'll be able to get a third ski! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Newbie50, interesting definitions from steamboat, since I ski at level 6 at Squaw Valley, but I'd be 7/8 on the steamboat levels (can't quite carve short radius turns all the time yet). I have been told though, by various instructors at Squaw, that their levels tend to be harder than some other resorts. And I wouldn't worry about when you started skiing, as long as you have the technique, and your mind can cope! (I only started January 2004).
ski holidays
I think Boothy and Fox have hit it right in the head.

I have skied for 3 years and advanced pretty quicky to Black runs BUT I whilst I got down safely and in control I wasn't turning the skis in an even and non skidded condition. its only this month after 3 weeks in Canada tht I can claim to do so (although no doubt old habits will recur) .
I think the disparity at higher levels might need more definition.

The level 7 definiton seems to fit me:

"You ski with controlled parallel turns, maintaining rhythm and speed control on groomed black runs and are learning to apply your technique on a variety of terrain and snow conditions."

Still a long way to go!
snow conditions
pollittcl, I agree, not the end of the World. Just think it is misleading and possibly dangerously so to call me an Advanced Intermediate , while I look at other folks on a mountain and know that they are eons better. Conversely despite the apparent gap, anybody walking onto the slopes for the first time is only a few weeks away from me.

Ho Hum, as long as I know my own limitations that's good. 'Fraid I can think of some folks I know who would just want to glory (Dangerously) in the 'Achievment Level'
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy