Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do you like about TOs?

Poster: A snowHead
In the interests of balance some good stuff.

IME TOs can be very good value if you get a bundled package without any of the rep/variable staff quality bull.

e.g. Virgin to NA - Fly/drive plus hotel easy and at peak times cheaper than direct booking
Bargain packages to Banff - flight/tfr/hotel - no need to talk to a TO staff member all week
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We did 3 holidays with Esprit and 1 with Crystal with the kids and in fairness can't fault anything. The downside was the cost but the +++++++ side was the childcare. We don't use TO's anymore but I am not a hater of them as many here are.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The fact they are employing me for a season. wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, agreed, TO's to NA can throw up some really good deals, much better (for a single destination) than I can normally manage.

And the reps out there seem a cut above (mostly, but not always, older) the Euro lot, on balance. And apart from the odd "touching base" call, normally know when to leave you alone.

I generally have as little as possible contact, between the transfers, unless the rep's out and about (unofficially), and is a good laugh.

As I occasionally travel there on my jack they offer a bit of a safety net should I do something physical, though so far it's not been needed.

Only tend to use TO's, for Europe, if I were looking for a last minute killer deal.

John.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The convenience factor for me. The ability to just pay once and it's all sorted. No worrying about missing transfers if flight is delayed, or having no-one to help if anything goes wrong. Transfers are probably the biggest reason why I steer clear of DIY. I don't want to lug all my own gear on and off of buses/trains or have to walk far with it all. I want door to door service (as near as possible), even if it means a few stops to other resorts/accommodation on the way. I want to be looked after on holiday not left to fend for myself.

TO also always works out cheaper for me. I've priced up the equivalent holiday independently before and it's never been close.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Without them my skiboots would be too big.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1. Cost. I have never yet managed to price up a DIY option as cheaply as the TO for a similar quality of holiday (I look for half board in a 3* hotel or decent chalet).

2. Convenience. I know that with a TO, there will be somebody at the airport telling me which transfer coach to get no, and when to get off, while to get anywhere near similar cost DIY would normally mean transfer by public transport. It isn't a huge factor, but if everything else were equal, it could tip the balance.

3. Less chance of finding myself with nobody to talk to in the evenings (or ski with during the day), because you know there will almost always be other guests of the same tO in your hotel, and there are often "ski hosting" days.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What do I like most about TO's....not having to work for them anymore!! wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the_doc, I'm quite liking that myself. Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Going to try a DIY next year but Ive never had a problem with T/O.

5 of us going in Jan so I asked for a place thats sleeps 7 so we have some room and after being cheeky I got it for the same price as place that sleeps 5 Shocked Always get lift passes on the coach on way to resort. Never bad flight times, i try and make it so I dont miss watching my local footy teams home match. Get skis asap and unpack later. Reps have been ok if a little clueless but i just dont seem to bother with them.

The main thing is i pay they do everything i go i ski and at a very good price.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They had their place when the kids were young - catered chalet, creche nearby, lift passes sorted out etc. The single point of contact to arrange the lot was great.

Anyone else noticed we have less than 20 posts on what we like about TOs and 3-pages on what we hate Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For skiing they are easier, cheaper and better than DIY if you have a young family.

We have done Ski Esprit and have just booked Crystal.

Pluses for me

1) englisgh speaking childcare
2) ease of organising
3) OK food (not gourmet, but I just want foilling up)
4) a holiday for me and DH and the kids

I will do DIY from next year when kids are 11 and 9 (eg year 7) and we cannot take them out of school, we will then do half term and book a shoebox apartment and self drive, and ski with them all week. BUT whilst they need lessons and childcare - OK this year just fetch and carry and lunch, DH and I get up to 5 hours toblast around teh mountain and a couple to muk about with teh kids. Perfect combo!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheaper than DIY for outposts such as Belfast.

Convenience

No worries
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnboy,
I'm off to our Eglantine Road office on Wednesday. Any advice for the best place for lunch ?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheap deals when my kids were young enough to get reduced places, but no good once they became too old to share a room with us, and were charged full price. DIY then became much cheaper. We never used the childcare offered, preferring to ski with them in the afternoons.
snow report
It seems very odd that while TO holidays are really geared up for couples, they actually tend to work out better than DIY more for singles and families than they do for couples Puzzled
ski holidays
Takes the pressure out of holidays, i mainly seem to be the one who organises the DIY trips and on the one ocassion of travelling with a TO it was all quite relaxing Very Happy
latest report
The flight. Ryanair flight cancelled last December and if it hadn't been for a BA option that would have scuppered the whole holiday.

The airport. If you check in on time with a TO I think (hope) they are less likely to bump you off a flight than Ryanair (or that bloody Belgian airline that went bust) if security and/or passport queues are several hours long (as they were at Stansted last Feb)

The transfer. Did DIY last half term and worked fine as airport (Tarbes) very close to resort but for longer transfers much prefer TO option as don't need to stress about missing plane home. Also have friends who have been left in lurch when prebooked transfer taxi didn't turn up, followed by months of legal action to try to recoup losses etc.

The lift pass. Would have appreciated TO to buy lift passes from last Feb as had to queue for three hours in freezing cold weather outside Lift pass office (St Lary). Wouldn't have been so bad but eight year old came with me for what I had naively thought would be a few minutes walk just before bedtime and by the time I realised my mistake was too late as lift pass office closed at 10.30pm (and had been warned by ski instructor that queues the next morning would be MUCH worse) and would have missed this deadline and therefore an entire day's lessons if I had taken him back.
snow conditions
Saves time over playing travel agent sorting out accom, flights and transfers to all fit correctly and be at the right price, this is why TOs existed in the first place right?

Other than that... I got nothing.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 14-09-09 20:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Being forced to go at feb half term or easter due to my wife being a teacher I can't help but feel that the TO's bend me over a skidoo and shaft me heartily with a piste pole.... Just because my wife teaches for a living why should i subsidise all non teachers and chilldless couples annual ski trips??? I know I know supply and demand and all that... but for that reason alone I almost inevtablly do it for 50% to 65% of the price by booking early and independently.... I did however land a cracking last minute catered chalet deal to Lech last Easter which I couldn't have got near booking independently.... that was a rarity though.
latest report
Being able to snap up last minute bargains, like 3* half board for a week in La plagne for £189 Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
SnowGod, Get her to take time off work, maybe she will be allowed to make it up in the summer holidays! wink
ski holidays
SnowGod, I've found a few cracking last minute deals at Easter with tour ops in the past such as 4 people ( 2 adults, 2 kids for £800 in an apartment, flights and transfers included, apartment upgraded to 2 bedroom from a standard shoebox. And a Skiworld catered chalet for 4 people, kids in own room , in Les Arcs, for £1000, flights and transfers included.
latest report
alex_heney wrote:
It seems very odd that while TO holidays are really geared up for couples, they actually tend to work out better than DIY more for singles and families than they do for couples Puzzled

Wonder how you arrived at that as when I've been, there's always a mixture of people. I spose younger families do have particular needs which are well catered for by the TOs though.

PS Hello everyone!
snow report
Having been diverted on more than one occasion to a different airport, I appreciate the TO for getting us the resort. Would not like to have to sort than one out myself!
snow conditions
eastendmyfreind wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

Wonder how you arrived at that as when I've been, there's always a mixture of people. I spose younger families do have particular needs which are well catered for by the TOs though.

PS Hello everyone!

And so do singles.

I would expect there to be a mixture on most trips.

But it is generally true that more people will go on ski trips as a couple than any other combination (which is of course why TO brochures are geared towards two traveling together), so you will obviously get more of them on TO holidays.

But I arrived at that conclusion based on my own experience of traveling as a single skier, and the posts by people with families saying why it is better for them too. Nothing to do with how many of each type of traveler actually use TO's.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy