Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lift Pass Prices 09/10 - Espace Killy now €44.5 a day

Poster: A snowHead
Over the years I've always just rolled up to the resort and paid the price without really giving it too much thought. Up until now I've always thought that even the dearer resorts were good value for a day out and that the 40-odd quid a day touch was a north american phenomenon.

Just noticed the 09/10 prices on the Tignes website. Still gonna pay it of course but does anyone else think that €44.5 for a day at Espace Killy is getting a bit expensive? It's €218 for an adult six day pass - and €175 for a five year old for Tignes area Shocked

How does Tignes compare with elsewhere? I daren't look at Verbier prices Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Compared to a UK fridge (around £20 per hour) I'd say £40 for a day was a bit of a bargain.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Much the same in The Arlberg. Go to St. Anton and save yourself one euro per day! Prices here http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/images/stories/pdf-dateien/arlbergerbergbahn_winter0910_e.pdf
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
7 day Paradski pass is going to cost us €1,111 in January Sad Nice if the £ could get back to 1.3 by January Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Two years ago I had to pay 45 Euro/day in Cervinia in order to to ski to Zermatt. Think two years more back I have been paying the similar amount to ski 3V which is charging 46.5 Euro/day now.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mountainaddict, Verbier is slightly more expensive - 6 day pass is 343CHF for the 4 Valleys and 317 just for Verbier. The annual pass is 800 quid and includes Chamonix - much better value.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Compared to a UK fridge (around £20 per hour) I'd say £40 for a day was a bit of a bargain.

Agreed. It's all relative - especially when someone at work tells me that they've just paid about €80 (per adult) to get into Eurodisney!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was paying at 1.35 chf last year so will do well as the £ is around 1.67 atm..IIRC..and expect a few more out of that by the time I go..

happy days...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Holly sh*** and I thought that 38eur/day in Austria (at least on most of places) is a bit to much already, so I actually didn't feel bad to push for discount prices. Wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's a bargain compared with North American resorts. 8 days in Jackson Hole for a family of five will cost me $2,500 - and that's including youth discounts on the kids. Having said that, the Europeans sweat their mountain assets rather more than our transatlantic cousins - personally, I'd prefer pay extra for a quiet mountain.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A one-day three vallees pass in 46.50€ for 2009/10, 232€ for 6 days, or 990€ for the season. Local passes (e.g. Méribel only, are discounted for residents). A little up on last season's prices IIRC.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There was a company doing discounted lift passes for 3 valleys last year (although I can't remember who they were). Anyone know of any for this season?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia, I'd never really looked at it from that perspective - it does put it into context.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict, ticket to stamford bridge for 90mins of football is £50 minimum,ticket to croke park to watch ireland play 80 mins of rugby is e90..any average golf course is £50 min at roughly 4 hrs per round..night out on the p!$$ £100 min..gramme of coke £50..half decent prostitute £80 for a couple of mins etc etc ...e44 for a days lift pass is cheap as chips....dry your eyes........

okbye
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cathy wrote:
There was a company doing discounted lift passes for 3 valleys last year (although I can't remember who they were). Anyone know of any for this season?

Was it these guys?

http://www.skicollection.co.uk/Ski/lift-passes.htm
ski holidays
snowpatrol wrote:
half decent prostitute £80

How much for a completely indecent one?
latest report
cathy wrote:

they only 'appeared' discounted beacuse the prices were set before the £ plummeted, so I doubt it will be such 'bargain' this time around
snow conditions
Patch, ask your sis.............. wink

okbye
ski holidays
Europe's still a relative bargain - we went to Telluride last season and the "on the day, pay as you go" day ticket price at the ticket window was $92 Shocked (And that was at $1.45 to the £...)

Mountainaddict had better get himself prepared for next February. He's coming to Fernie with us & I daren't think how much he'll have to rustle up from his piggy bank for lift tickets. I recall an earlier thread here which highlighted the outrage...
ski holidays
Quote:

ticket to stamford bridge for 90mins of football is £50 minimum

Quote:

dry your eyes........

The football pricing analogy is a good one. Good value for money at The Bridge I'd say - especially when drying my eyes can quite often apply on my fortnightly visit to the Stadium of Light Laughing.

Quote:

Mountainaddict had better get himself prepared for next February. He's coming to Fernie with us & I daren't think how much he'll have to rustle up from his piggy bank for lift tickets

Quote:

someone at work tells me that they've just paid about €80 (per adult) to get into Eurodisney!

Haven't told Bergmeister yet but we're thinking of changing the Fernie booking to Eurodisney - I've heard it's cheaper than Fernie. Hmmm.......Mickey Mouse at Disney or Bergmeister's Mickey Mouse efforts in powder, bumps etc Toofy Grin ?? Choices, choices....
snow report
6 Day Lift Pass Niseko (Japan) 28,800 yen = £187.00 Very Happy Go on you know you want to! wink
snow conditions
Survive the credit crunch, buy AT gear lol
snow report
Twenty odd quid a day in Scotland as I recall, IIRC around £17/18 last season if pre-booked online for Glencoe ... nae bad IMHO! Toofy Grin
snow report
roga wrote:
Twenty odd quid a day in Scotland as I recall, IIRC around £17/18 last season if pre-booked online for Glencoe ... nae bad IMHO! Toofy Grin

That makes the £20 for an hour in the fridge a real bargain. NehNeh NehNeh
snow conditions
And back atcha! NehNeh NehNeh

Laughing
snow report
Quote:

Twenty odd quid a day in Scotland......That makes the £20 for an hour in the fridge a real bargain

It didn't for me last season! 4 or 5 trips to The Lecht, Cairngorm and Glencoe between opening weekend (1st November, Lecht) and closing weekend (19th April,Glencoe) - great snow and blue skies every time (lucky or what?). Happy days and looking forward to another fantastic season Very Happy
snow report
mountainaddict,

My one and only trip to Scotland was a trip to Glenshee, had just Saturday afternoon skiing and I can honestly say that I have never experienced a biting cold wind quite like I experienced there, not even at 3600 M in the Alps. Sun and Mon the roads were closed due to too much snow Shocked . But had a great time getting quietly pi$$ed at the bridge of callay hotel.

But hey it's the mountains, you pay your 20 quid and you takes your chance. Think you was lucky and I was unlucky, either way I wont be going back, skiing to Glenshee that is. Might well return back to that hotel for a trip in the summer and a few large Drambuies
snow conditions
Kel,

I believe the bitter wind in the Scottish resorts, as we saw snow coming towards us horizontally in Glenshee, is that we are skiing at the top of the mountains. In the Alps we normally ski in a shielded area rarely have a need to stay at the mountain top. The wind in Glenshee can be experienced if you go up Hintertux glacier. Think I paid £25/day for my ski pass a few years back.

The best value for money I came across was Tochal in Iran. It was US$ 5 per a day ticket. The godola is 7km long and the resort is 3730m. People can ski there up to June.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
roga, glencoe.....they should pay you to ski at that $h!thole.............

okbye
latest report
snowpatrol, ah I love irony!

Glencoe is in my top 10 anywhere in the world and if you do a search round the forum you'll find I'm not alone so I completely fail to understand your point, if it is a point! NehNeh

Kel, I wouldn't hold out for the summer in Scotland necessarily - Scotland any time of year seems to be an acquired taste, for example I spent 3 weeks there over the summer (after a couple of weeks of thunder and lightening, wind, sun, storms and the works on the Hintertux glacier lol) and had a fantastic time (Aviemore and the Spey valley is probably my favourite place anywhere!). My wife and kids had a great time too but she had 2 friends at work who went on family holidays there at the same time. One, kayaking and wilderness camping up the Great Glen, described it as one of the best holidays she had ever had, the other described it as the worst holiday she had ever had and would not go back there again if paid - horses for courses as they say!

Back on topic saikee I like that Iranian price - WOW! Shocked Toofy Grin
latest report
roga, search around this forum...no chance..theres noone here under 50!..i dont think ill get much response from tgr on glencoe either! mate the only time i was there i was 10 and it was baltic..thats my only memory..you reckon its good though? what are the off piste opportunities like after a dump?
snow conditions
snowpatrol wrote:
roga, search around this forum...no chance..theres noone here under 50!

LOL, I must be calculating my age wrong then ... need to add on a few years it seems Laughing
Quote:
..i dont think ill get much response from tgr on glencoe either! mate the only time i was there i was 10 and it was baltic..thats my only memory..you reckon its good though? what are the off piste opportunities like after a dump?

Yeah I do, to answer pretty much all your questions you *should* do a search on TGR and look out for the posts by Scottish_Skier and others. Off piste can be superb, especially given grooming is pretty rudimentary even on piste, and you'll get some idea of what I'm talking about on TGR, the thread here being an example from last season snowHead
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:

Just noticed the 09/10 prices on the Tignes website. Still gonna pay it of course but does anyone else think that €44.5 for a day at Espace Killy is getting a bit expensive? Sad

I'm surprised anyone in the UK apart from Merchant Bankers can afford ski holidays anymore.

Yes it is very expensive, but they want to be exclusive and keep the riff-raff like me out and I must say it works pretty well.
snow report
^ I've never heard anyone before accusing Tignes of wanting to be exclusive and keep the riff-raff out! Shocked Laughing
latest report
roga, ok ok i take it all back!! thanks for the link my man...thats me stoked up to high heaven....i'll be keeping an eye on the weather reports around feb and take a dash over there for a 3-4 dayer...
snow conditions
Might see you up there snowpatrol snowHead
snow conditions
I'm looking at an average price of £37 per day, for any of Utahs resorts we plan to visit Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
I don't find lift passes at all outrageous; in fact I think they're generally pretty good value.

Consider a cable car that holds 100 passengers and runs every 15 minutes. At an average 75% capacity, it will lift 2,100 skiers a day, each of whom will expect maybe ten rides. At the prices cited for the Espace Killy, the lift will therefore generate revenues of just over EUR9,000 per day - maybe EUR1m per season.

Now consider that the lift probably cost more than EUR10m to buy and install, and running the lift and grooming the associated runs provides employment for maybe 5 staff. Add in lift maintenance costs and operating revenues may be EUR800,000 in a good year, at which time it's looking difficult just to pay interest on the loan taken out to acquire the lift.

The simple answer is this: skiing's not cheap and is difficult to do cheaply.
snow conditions
Mountainaddict

I agree with you that the ski passes in Tignes are getting expensive.
Although with the amount of skiing on offer the prices haven't gone up that much in recent years.

However STGM do seem to be changing their policy slightly and are now offering family deals etc.

They have also started working with the smaller companies based in the resort so we can now offer discounts on certain weeks. (Normally only available for the mass market companies.)
Not a huge amount, but it's a start and every little bit helps.
ski holidays
Total cost of a week's skiing = £1000
Total hours skiing = 6 (days) x 6 (hours) = 36
Cost per hour = £27

Total cost of a trip to Hemel snowdome = £33 (skiing) + £20 (petrol) + £10(food/drink) = £63
Total hours skiing = 2
Cost per hour = £31
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy