Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurostar overnight - has anyone done it?

Poster: A snowHead
Just about to book this for a family of 4, Ashford at 9pm, Alpes at 6.30am Extra ski-ing time!!

BUT quick question re noise/what to expetc? Has anyone done it?

Think we woudl pack small light blankets in each case, sleep masks, a bottle of red for dh and I and a thermos of warm milk for kids! (they are 10 and Cool They are used to sleepoing in seats on long car journeys so although we expect tirdness and not a great nights sleep ARE WE MAD?? Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Crunchiepink13, you will be shattered on arrival and will want to sleep rather than ski.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Crunchiepink13, awful, at least in steerage rather than 1st class. Numb bum and no sleep. Wouldn't consider doing it again. Eurostar to Paris and night sleeper to the Alps is another matter. Hope to do that again for the EOSB.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dont believe the naysayers... some earplugs/headphones a couple of wee drinkies and bobs your uncle... well i guess it may depend on how young your kids are though... last time i went we had no trouble sleeping, i was more worried about missing our stop than not getting enough kip
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Crunchiepink13, I did it on my own, no problem, no idea about the kids as I don't have any. Contrary to achilles, I wouldn't do the night sleeper, I'd rather be in my seat and get up at he other end. everypne is different.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would agree with Frosty the Snowman, on this one. I went on the overnight sleeper train from Paris to Moutiers in April and hardly slept. It should be called the overnight snooze a little as soon as the fat French bloke sat next to you stops snoring train. It may be ok if you can book a sleeping compartment for 4 but I wouldn't book the reclining seats.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have done that journey, albeit with young teenagers rather than 10 year olds. Yes, you arrive fairly tired but if they have been skiing before the adrenalin will keep them going for some of the time. Sleeping on the train is not easy but IME they adapt fairly quickly. The downsides are more than outweighed by the ability to get to ski for most of 2 Saturdays, by far the quietest day of the week. You should make some enquiries as to the availablity of your accommodation when you arrive on Saturday morning to ensure that there is somewhere to put your luggage when you hit the slopes. It may not be secure so you should think about locking everything and putting a wire type padlock through all the handles of the bags to deter any light-fingered types. Same applies on the last day before you go down to get the train.

Also consider pre-booking a taxi to get you from the station to the resort. Apart from being slightly cheaper it reduces the chance of hanging around at the station - that's when the kids will get fractious. On the train, the last time I used it they provided a pack of goodies, can't remember exactly what was in it but I think a mask, pillow and thin blanket, amongst others. And maybe ear plugs. Take this stuff with you when you get off the train because it is not provided on the way back.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Worth a quick search on here for other posts about the overnight euro$tar.

Personally, I thought it was rubbish compared with train to Paris and then French sleeper to the alps (as achilles suggests). I can imagine the metro/taxi across Paris with kids might not be a favourite, but I'd think about it carefully...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Crunchiepink13, if you are prepared to sit up all night, and get a little sleep here and there, you can do it for less than half the price on a coach and still get the extra ski days.

I've done it by coach a few times (including with kids from 4 - 12 years old) and I've done it (with no kids at all - far better) on the overnight sleeper from Paris. No way would I pay Eurostar money to sit up all night.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Crunchiepink13, lights stay on all night and the seats dont recline making sleep v v difficult.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Like skichampcouk I have also done the sleeper from Paris which was horrible and I can't say I'd ever do it again, I did it due to accommodation not being available (I had weird dates) and figured it would save me a hefty hotel bill on an already very pricey holiday. 6 people rammed into a cabin maybe 7 x 7 x 8ft was awful but if you are up for really roughing it then perhaps it may be OK for some. On the way back I had fortunately booked the TGV day service which was cheaper, more comfortable and took 4hrs 40 Smile

The Eurostar may be better than this though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Crunchiepink13, if your kids are able to sleep anywhere then they'll be fine. having the lights on in the carriage doesn't really make a difference if you're tired enough. you also get an eye-mask anyway, so you can use that. it works especially well when used in conjunction with the provided ear-plugs or your ipod and red wine.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
THhanaks for this there are as many yes'es as no's!!

Well it is booked now, the kids are happy to buy sleep masks and practice at home with them - they want 'glamourous satin ones!!' They also love their MP3 players - perhaps I will lace the hot milk with brandy and away we go!! Also the girls can take their fave blankets with them so that helps too.

I am less worried about DH and I as before skiing trips we are always so excited we barely sleep! then wake up at 5am with too much excitement!! So I figure we may as well be on a trai, laced with red wine!!

With Crystal we get transfers sorted, and there should be no waiting around as we cannot 'wait for the plane from Glasgow or whatever!!' we may have to go via another resort though. Hotel is fine we can leave bags and chnage and go straiight ou. We are arrangeing our own skis and passes, so no waiting for rubbish reps. Even if we just mooch abot for the day it is cool!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why are you doing this rather than the usual overnight couchettes? I always sleep fine, and I'm someone who sometimes has trouble sleeping? There are two options, the ski train, where you don't have to change trains (but it can sometimes be a bit rowdy with some people drinking most of the night - it depends where you are in relation to the disco carriage) or changing to a French train at a different station in Paris (which is more civilized and can be cheaper, particularly if you buy the tickets when they come on sale - since there is a limited number of tickets about half price). In both cases you get the whole of both saturdays to ski and certainly in the latter case you get a proper sleep.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball, ski train is cancelled.
ski holidays
Quote:

There are two options, the ski train, where you don't have to change trains (but it can sometimes be a bit rowdy with some people drinking most of the night - it depends where you are in relation to the disco carriage) or changing to a French train at a different station in Paris

I've travelled by train to Bourg St Maurice twice and I remember getting very confused about the available options.

As far as I know, the only option where you don't have to change trains is the Eurostar service. It only runs on certain days/nights and doesn't have a disco carriage - or couchettes.

As Helen Beaumont says, I think the "ski train" with the disco carriage has been stopped this year, but I think when it did run you still had to change trains in Paris. Not sure if you had to change stations in Paris though.

The other option is to use the regular TGV service where you certainly have to change both trains and stations in Paris.

We did the Eurostar overnight train there and back the first time. On the way there (overnight on Friday/Saturday) it was ok - the seats aren't very comfy but the carriage was reasonably empty so we could spread out a bit. It was also very quiet. On the way back (overnight on Saturday/Sunday) it was packed and would have been very quiet but for the three guys who got on a Moutiers with a box of beers and started playing loud drunken poker. rolling eyes At about 2am when my OH was about to explode, I asked them if they were planning to get any sleep at any point as the rest of the carriage was silent and trying to sleep, at which point they shut up fairly quickly after a bit of face-saving muttering. So, didn't get much sleep overall but it was very convenient.

The second time, we did the outbound journey in the day. Eurostar to Paris, taxi to Gare de Lyon, change at Chambery, arrived at Bourg at 20.10 (about 12 hours in total). Not especially speedy but very relaxing indeed. On the way back, we took the sleeper from Bourg to Paris (Austerlitz station) and then taxi to the Gare du Nord for the Eurostar home. We did the French bit of the journey first class which meant we got a couchette in a compartment for 4 people. Luckily for us, the people we shared with were almost entirely silent for the whole trip and sleeping was fine. Very Happy

We were doing taxis and first class travel because it was our honeymoon, but I think I'd do both again, and I'd definitely do the trip by train that way again. First class travel in France is not as much more expensive as it is in the UK, and the seats were really comfy and the carriages very quiet in the day, as well as us only having to share a compartment with 2 rather than 4 other people (which was the reason we went first class). We booked the Eurostar tickets direct with Eurostar and the French tickets direct on the TGV-Europe.com website, with the assistance of The Man in Seat 61's website. I was going to book it all through Rail Canterbury, but they weren't able to let me book standard class for the Eurostar and first class for the French bit, and the increase in price would not have been worth it for us for the Eurostar (bigger price increase for less improved service).
ski holidays
NatalieG, ski train was direct from Calais, I'm sitting next to a former Neilson ski train rep.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, oh I see - thanks. I think that when I looked into it I was looking to get the train all the way from London so that would have necessitated changing in Paris. Not sure whether I could have joined the ski train there but I think I was trying to avoid the disco carriage rather than find it so probably didn't get to the bottom of it.

I had some very confusing conversations when I was looking into it for the first time, including the Eurostar sales guy telling me that the Eurostar trains that do the overnight trip have more comfortable seats than normal Eurostar trains - of course they don't. They are Eurostar trains. Don't know where he thought the extra seats were coming from. rolling eyes
snow conditions
I guess I am doing it this way as looking at the Eurostar to Paris it means catching a train on Friday evening about 5pm from London - I finish work at 6pm in essex!

The eurostar goes at 9pm ish from Ashford, so I can get there and not miss work!

ALso draging 2 kids across Pris, even thoughthey know what they are doing and can wheel their own bags, is less fun than chilling on a train all the way.
Oh well I maybe mad, but I'll report back!! Laughing
latest report
Crunchiepink13, You'll be fine. An extra 2 full days sking more than compensates for a bit of discomfort. When I did it we arrived in Tignes at 06:30, the rep was there waiting for us we had a coffee to kill some time before the lifts were open. We were able to access our chalet to dump our cases and change and hit the first lift. We skied all day with the adreline keeping us going until the last lift. I would consider doing it again, and the fact you only have to be there 30 mins before travel, no queues and no waiting for luggage is a great benefit.
I was given some advice that you should consider upgeading to first class, you get extra room and a hot meal. The only downside I experienced is that they seemed to switch the heating off in the early hours and I got cold, so make sure you have easy access to gloves and ski jackets.

Bod.
ski holidays
Done the overnight many times now. As you say, bonus is the extra days and none of the annoying waiting around associated with flying. Downside is being knackered when you get there. But however much I've moaned everytime I've been standing in Moutiers station at 5.30am, it's nothing that a cup of coffee and a 30 min doze won't snap you out of. Once you're up the hill, you forget how tired you were.
As Bod says, I'd recommend going 'leisure select', if you can afford to fork out that bit extra - the seats are larger and more comfortable and they recline (a bit). I'm useless at sleeping when travelling but I normally manage to doze off in one of those seats. You get a good meal and the waiters are usually generous with the wine (just keep asking them for more). There are power points for laptop/travel dvd players, etc. And unlike standard class, there are usually empty spaces so the kids can lay down for the night. There's always a table between seats to play cards on, etc so you shouldn't have a problem keeping them entertained. Have a great time! Very Happy
snow report
I am seriously thinking about the upgrade TBH Awaitiong a quote for it!
ski holidays
We have done this once - it was absolutely dreadful and while we thought we would ski with the extra day we got - we were so shattered from the lack of sleep that we moped around the hotel for half the day instead. Also - as you have not rooms until that afternoon - you don't have anywhere to go for some decent kip.

I think a day time train is likely to be a much better option!
ski holidays
All about going out there on the day train and returning on the night train. Thats at least how Im planning my train journey to Bourg st Maurice in March,
latest report
We have taken the plunge and booked a chalet in Pelsey Vallandry and we are going by Eurostar - ear plugs, ipod and wine at the ready hope they help with getting some sleep!

I do have one question though: any thoughts on available taxis from Bourg St Maurice to Pelsey Vallandry? We are waiting for a response from the chalet people, but would like to know if anyone else out there has made the same trip?

Can't wait!
ski holidays
Just fly out a day early, extra time on the slopes and none of the hassle!

PS It's cheaper too!
snow report
Quote:

any thoughts on available taxis from Bourg St Maurice to Pelsey Vallandry?

There are some taxi numbers here: http://www.lesarcs.com/Taxis-and-more-information.html. I've got a feeling we used Taxi Will's and I think they were a shade cheaper (to Arc 1950) than the prices listed by AArthur Taxi Sarl (the only firm on the list who provide a link to their prices).
latest report
last year i went out on the day train.... it was excellent . plenty of scenery to look at nice meal and a few drinks arrived early evening and really enjoyed it. We came back on the night train and I would never do it again! lights on all night so the only thing you see out of the window is your reflection. Every time you fall asleep some one walks by and opens the noisy doors or someone coughs or sneezes. It was one of the longest nights of my life!

So day train is good night train no good! but you do get extra skiing on night train
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Crunchiepink13, we went to La Plagne 3 times by Eurostar, 1st time standard class then twice "leisure select" - I can sleep anywhere but rest of family can't so we upgraded, and they slept much better. Had quite a good meal too. Would be my preferred method of transport because of 2 Saturday ski days but expensive so we now drive. We got a bus up to the resort - they seem to run them to connect with trains. Easier to sleep on return because very tired. You are given a bag with blanket/sleep mask etc. We now have a collection of Eurostar blankets which are very useful for the dog's basket.
snow conditions
I still think going on the French trains from Paris and getting a proper night's sleep on a couchette is the way to go. I always sleep reasonably well and can never sleep on even the best seat. You can have 6 beds per compartment or 4 for a small extra payment. Normally everyone agrees to put out the light and sleep from a civilised time.
snow report
Have done the Eurostar thing loads of times, including overnight on standard class, we were given a pack each with a blanket, blow up pillow, eye shades, and I think socks or something? Also have done the train to Paris and then the couchette, everyone did sleep when we were on it, and if you didn't want to there is a disco/bar carriage.

Big plus is of course the extra 2 days skiing!! Definitely go for it. Also used http://www.bouzon.eu/welcome/index.php taxi's from Aime to Peisey (you have to get off at Aime on the way out and get on at Bourg on the way back), really good, supplied all necessary child seats and had really good quality cars/minibuses. My friend and I even missed the stop at Aime (don't ask it was dark, we were chatting obviously and we had the kids, menfolk were unloading stuff further down the train). Anyway, our taxi driver was already at Bourg with the men by the time the train got there!! It cost us 80euros for 4 adults and 4 kids.

Embarrassed that I have actually admitted to doing that, but wanted to demonstrate that they are a good taxi company. The weeks building up to the holiday were very stressful... my excuse anyway
latest report
I have been on the overnight eurostar first class pre-children..was fine then. I would definitely go first class if poss as the seats recline slightly and it is easier to have the food provided. I haven't been brave enough to do this with children yet!
snow report
Even first class with loads of spare seats to spread out onto wasn't that great - it's not like on a plane where generally speaking you're going in the same direction relatively smoothly - think plane with seats that recline less (though more space), that has some sort of wierd horizontal turbulence and you're getting there...
The daytime Eurostar (first class of course!) was on the otherhand a very pleasant experience.
ski holidays
Have done the 1st class with kids too, as the seats are quite large, we set up camp underneath, where the 2 backs join, made little beds and they slept nicely
snow report
Reviving this thread as I'm wondering whether to book the overnight eurostar for our skiing hol this time.

We will be travelling witih 8 and 5 yr old children. The reason we are thinking of the direct overnight service is to arrive in resort early and avoid changing trains in paris. We would be booking the more expensive leisure select option for more space and food/drink included.

Would love to hear the experiences of those who used this service last year. Particularly anyone who travelled with children.

did anyone hire a car in moutiers. I notice train gets in at 5:30am and car hire doesn't open till 8:30 which could be a problem.
snow conditions
snowymum, do you really need a car just to get from Moutiers to resort? Understand you do if you are planning to travel around, but taxi would seem easier if just a resort transfer.

If you need a car, then is driving an option rather than train?
latest report
we've done it a couple of times, its convenient for Bourg and Les Arcs

but wouldnt do it again with or without the kids (we've 7yo twins) although they'll do the UK Bourg journey by car no probs

we had a friend inbound last March when we were out and she had to contend with a kid squealing all night on route to Bourg and the same on the way back (in Leisure select)

she's reverted back to flying and getting the transfer bus for next winters trips

we have our own places in Bourg so we usually travel friday morning flight and get the coolbus in and chill the rest of friday until its time to pick the gang up from the station Sat a.m

(we've noticed as the gang get older more want to sleep rather than ski that first day, but enjoty the full days skiing before the overnight eurostar the following Saturday
ski holidays
snowymum, why would you? flying & renting a car is cheaper and much shorter. "shurely"?
latest report
boardiac, not necessarily if you include 1 or 2 extra nights' accommodation which you would need to take to get as much slope time as the train gives you

on behalf of other users (and probably your kids to be fair), snowymum, please don't use it if you aren't confident that your kids will bed down and keep quiet for the night. it isn't a great sleeping experience even in leisure select and other passengers making a racket will be highly irritating
snow report
Arno wrote:
boardiac, not necessarily if you include 1 or 2 extra nights' accommodation which you would need to take to get as much slope time as the train gives you

on behalf of other users (and probably your kids to be fair), snowymum, please don't use it if you aren't confident that your kids will bed down and keep quiet for the night. it isn't a great sleeping experience even in leisure select and other passengers making a racket will be highly irritating

by other passengers making a racket I assume you mean the young twentysomethings who have had one too many beers at the bar at st pancras.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy