Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to get from Munich to Ellmau?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads. I have just signed on today and I need some help. We are a family of 6 trying to ski on a budget - we are flying to Munich and I have rented a cheapish apartment in Ellmau. But how can we get there? It is only an hour and a half away but a taxi transfer would be about 500 euros and a car is about 600 euros. Do the package companies let you jump on their coaches? Is there a train? Does anyone know a nice cheap taxi man? Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try these guys. Were pretty cheap and some of the kids may go very cheaply http://www.tirol-taxi.at/airporttransfer/ Looks as if it should be €196 for you and hubbie plus €38 per child return

I thank you wink Oh and welcome to Snowheads
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you for your very quick reply! And thank you for the info - that sounds much more reasonable - I am on the case now. Now I have found this website I am going to be asking a whole lot more questions! Like how to add a smiley face.....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Simply click on one of the Very Happy Toofy Grin Smile Madeye-Smiley Skullie Sad Blush Little Angel rolling eyes Puzzled wink Shocked Confused Cool snowHead Laughing Mad NehNeh Razz Embarassed Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Shock below £600 for the car sounds dear. I could get a Touran (2 extra seats in boot) for around £350 with one of the places at Munich - can't remember which one though as I've not finalised the car
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
KatherineW, you can also use public transport. I'll check out the train times and costs from Munich to Kufstein, then there is a regular bus or maybe a shorter and cheaper taxi ride. There are lots of companies doing transfers in the season as I see their minibuses with monotonous regularity as I commute to work. This are just one or two of the ones I see

http://www.tirol-taxi.at/airporttransfer/index.html - see loads of their transits every day
http://www.a-t-s.net/en/destination.aspx/germany/munich-airport-transfers/49/1963 spotted as well!

Even Sleazey-Jet offer a service from the airport

http://easyjet.ski.holidaytaxis.com/resorts/9/77/munich.html?source=ski_breaks

There are so many doing it that I do not believe it can be so expensive.

Using the train and buses you would have to change at least once in Munich (either the Hauptbahnhof or Ostbahnhof) and possibly again at Rosenheim. Then transfer to the bus at Kufstein itself. With 6 people you have just one too many for the group ticket offers available but a family ticket offer may be possible. The German Railway site is also available in English and allows you to look at all the options, including cross-border schedules.

This is a link to the English pages

http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml

Hope that helps!

Sing out if you need any more help - I'm a local so it is easy for me to find out things

Sue wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
KatherineW, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead
If you want to use public transport you can go straight from Munich Airport to the OstBahnhof Rail station using the S8 S-Bahn (overground rail sytem) , takes 33 mins , fares here (Adult 9.20Euros, Child 1.20Euros). From Ostbahnhof the train into Austria crosses the border into Kufstein, see DB rail. Journey time from 51mins, adult fare 19.50 Euros.

From Kufstein you should be able to get a local taxi to Ellmau, or there is a bus service, see vvt website
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
KatherineW, hello and welcome to snowheads .... you could try http://www.tirol-taxi.at/airporttransfer/

I haven't used them yet but do have a 2 transfers booked with them for January.

Munich to Ellmau return for 6 pax is €430 - not too bad IMHO.

Quote:
We are a family of 6 trying to ski on a budget

welcome to the club !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
masmith wrote:
KatherineW, hello and welcome to snowheads .... you could try http://www.tirol-taxi.at/airporttransfer/

I haven't used them yet but do have a 2 transfers booked with them for January.

Munich to Ellmau return for 6 pax is €430 - not too bad IMHO.

Quote:
We are a family of 6 trying to ski on a budget

welcome to the club !
Thank you everyone - what a helpful bunch you are! Boabski - I wasn't sure if a Touran always came with 7 seats, I thought some only had 5, - definitely better price than a Sharan. Now I have lots of research to do! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
KatherineW, just specify that you need a 7 seater - there are several cars that have that option but you have to sacrifice luggage space in order to use the 6th and 7th seat (e.g. Zafira, Carolla Verso, etc)

BTW where are you from in Guernsey - my family are based in St Saviours Parish, although we are spread out now as none of us can afford to live on the island any more!

Sue wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Samerberg Sue- nice to meet a Guernsey person on line, we live in town, very handy for the Rocquettes Hotel! - The hire companies always say they can't specify a car make so I have to book a people carrier for a huge sum. I don't know also if having a car would be a waste of money in Ellmau anyway. Perhaps I need to start a new question. Thanks.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
KatherineW wrote:
I don't know also if having a car would be a waste of money in Ellmau anyway. Perhaps I need to start a new question. Thanks.

Welcome to Snowheads Katherine snowHead

Bear in mind that Ellmau is part of the Ski Welt, so your pass will give you plenty of scope for skiing all week without having to use the car at all. If you did go elsewhere it is going to increase your overall costs by buying extra daily tickets.

So, unless you are sure you are going to use it in resort it becomes an expensive taxi, with the extra hassle of driving yourself on unfamiliar and maybe snowy roads and then looking after the car for a week.

The public transport is good and very reliable. However, when you price it all up you will need to consider if the cost is sufficiently less than the taxi to make all the changes with bags and maybe skis, worth the hassle?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just to add that if you do need a taxi there are some local numbers on here (near the bottom): http://www.schneehoehen.de/skigebiete/abisz/skiwelt-wilder-kaiser-brixental

You'd have to track down the local dialling code, but I reckon that must be available on line (or via a pm to Sue wink

Have fun!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
KatherineW wrote:
I don't know also if having a car would be a waste of money in Ellmau anyway.

The only uses I can think of for a car during your holiday week in Ellmau are
a) to get to the lifts if your appartment is far from them.
b) to drive to other nearby resorts, e.g. St. Johann, Kitzbühel, etc.

a) you will have to work out for yourself and, even if you're not within walking distance of the lifts you want to use, it may be cheaper to use a taxi than hiring a car for a whole week. In Ellmau there are small beginners' slopes not too far from the centre of the village. The main lift, the Hartkaiserbahn mountain railway, is further away from the village but you can go up the beginners' lifts and then ski over to the Hartkaiserbahn.

Option b) is really only of interest to hard besotted skiers (or maybe just to see other places of an evening). Ellmau is an entry to the SkiWelt area and there is enough variety there to keep most people happy for a week, I would think, especially now that you can ski over to Westendorf (even on to Kitzbühel with a more expensive ticket, though personally I don't think that is really practical in a day).

The real advantage of having a car would be the convenience of driving from the airport to your appartment with less hassle. During the week it might well just stand around.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks for all that. the train looks a possibility but there is a lot of changing and there are a lot of us with all our luggage. Actually Easyjet has come up with the best quote yet of 369 euros return so that may be best bet. I reckon the hire car would sit unused for a week. Ta v much all.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just joined and seeing these older posts is really interesting….we have been going to Ellmau for a few years and the return fares range from 350E to 500E depending on whether booked direct or via hotel. We were quoted £414 (500e) this year so booked a car instead….mercedes c class £195 (230E) for the week, unlimited mileage and snow tyres….Ellmau is only 70 miles each way, so as we will not use it during the week, it will only cost another £30/£40 for fuel, so at £235 for the week, is substantially less money and more convenient ….

I won't be using the taxi services again at these figures!!
snow report
Did that exact journey last year by train, Munich Airport to OstBahnhof, then changed at Rosenheim and got off at Kufstein. We got a lift from there but Kufstein to Ellmau could certainly be done by taxi at reasonable cost. Train times and tickets can be arranged in advance on the excellent Deutsche Bahn web site. I had looked into car hire and concluded it would be a waste of money as would not use car once there, although there is a big car park at the bottom of the Hartkaiserbahn lift, so driving there from an Ellmau hotel would be possible.
ski holidays
if you do go by car stop off on the way back (or there) at the erdinger therm (just by the airport) for some relaxing swimming and if you want naked german group saunering
snow report
If you'd like to go by train, I've heard you can work out the route using the SkiRail Map of the Alps
http://www.rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Map_Main.aspx
Also there appears to be a new app version on iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/the-alps-ski-resort-rail-map/id610342489?mt=8 and Google Play store.
I skied in Ellmau when I was just 11 - cracking place!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy