Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Homemade Boot Shim

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone made a homemade shim or riser to lift their foot in their ski boot? - what did you use / find worked best?

My left boot is perfect; perfect length, width, snug but no pressure points anywhere. Toes brush the front at rest (very slight pressure), yet it all releases when I flex. I don't think I've ever before felt as good a fit as I have on this left foot - I could ski all day in this boot.

The problem is that my right boot is either too loose giving me heel slop to the point where I can't confidently control my right ski at speed or under pressure, or I have to tighten to the point of severe discomfort in order to ensure the heel doesn't lift excessively. The latter gives me the control, but I have to loosen constantly or suffer for it, not ideal.

I'm thinking something under the right heel might solve it.

I know a bootfitter is the best option, but making the time for the journey isn't practical at present, so I'm looking for a short-term solution - with a visit to a bootfitter later on.

Cheers!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fr0sty, I use layers of cereal packet, I'm not sure it would help for the problem you describe though.

It sounds to me as if your boots are just too wide for you.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rjs, it's possible, but the fit on foot width feels just perfect. Snug as anything, but my right heel 'lifts' when I shift my weight. Unless I basically tie it down with tighter clipping.
It's possible it's too wide on the right foot, but it doesn't feel like my foot at any point other than my heel is moving, the rest remains snug,the heel just lifts and gets 'free'.

...if that makes sense ha-ha!...

I'll try some cereal packets, I thought perhaps something waterproof might do the trick. I've done a few 'fixes' in my time, for many sports, so was thinking about a homemade waterproof resin/epoxy that sets hard. I could use a shaped something or other to build it up when I poured it, and then shave it if it was too large. Obviously if someone has a tried and tested solution then I'll go for that first.

Cheers!

/edit - realise this post will probably spawn a freehell is the win conversation etc...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Beer mats work for me
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fr0sty, I got a cheap thin doormat from the local pound stretchers, dense and easy to cut - its still in my boot and I've skied on it lots.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorbothane heel cushion maybe? Used these in lots of outdoor footwear over the years.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fr0sty, Have you thought of putting something over the instep instead?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Amateur podiatrist here so take this with a heavy pinch of salt (apologies to CEM and others), but, if it sounds good to you, give it a try. If it doesn't work then try something else. Keep experimenting and then, when you do go to a bootfitter, you can explain what works for you and what doesn't.

I'll take a punt and guess that you have no (or little in the way of) footbeds inside your liners. This means your foot is poorly supported this allows it to move around. Try some footbeds - something Superfeet or the Vasyli sports insoles from Boots. The latter are particularly supportive - but are really intended for use in softer shoes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the ideas folks. I have some insoles of different sorts accumulated over the years - I expect I could butcher one to try and fit it (either whole or in part), or try one of these ideas instead. Mostly common sense it seems, just asked out of curiosity more than anything else.

altis, I have no footbed - yet. As I said, a short term solution in the interim before visiting a bootfitter. Currently I can't get to one, and I can't enjoy skiing when my heel moves like this, so a short-term solution is needed. I'm confident the boots are spot on for length and width, as i said my left boot is one of the finest fits I've ever experienced. If I could solve this then they both would be!

comprex, tell me more of what you have in mind.

Cheers folks!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fr0sty, hope the loose boot is on your short leg, otherwise this will now be your long leg with a single sided heel raise and the position of your pelvis will change too Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
anarchicsaltire, I know, I know, it opens up so many potential problems Toofy Grin but it's possible that it might work short-term, so I'll give it a go.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fr0sty,
This is what you are looking for, Its not the longterm answer to your problem though.
http://www.nevisport.com/catdetail-3-catdetail1_id-71-catdetail2_id-101-product_id-462661

They are quite firm so wont compress much put them under you footbed.
I put these in a pair of boots as a short term fix. They did snug them up quite a bit. The diagnosis of my problem was boots a size too big. Now I'm in boots of correct size and much better happier skier.

Putting bits under the heels is a mickey mouse solution. Heel lifts are used by bootfitters to help with biomechanics issues not to take up space (although in some ski shops they use them to solve everything). If you cant flex your ankles correctly a heel lift can open the joint and increase your range of movement.

You need to do a shell check to see if your boots are the right size. Bare foot in boot toe touchin front of shell how much space between heel and back of shell????? Trying them on with the liner is just trying on the liner when it packs out as you ski your foot wont be held securely. My last boots were exactly the same. Felt fine, even snug, but a few good hard runs and my feet were rattling around in them. Had to over tighten which made them uncomfortable and created pressure points. Now in same boot 1 size smaller dont even need to close the bottom buckles and I can ski hard all day with out them loosening.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fr0sty wrote:

comprex, tell me more of what you have in mind.

Exactly what you'd think: a thin, softish pad, cut to fit across the instep, worn inside the sock so as to stay in place.

neoprene (thin mouse pad) as a first prototype, though I'd probably use EVA or plastazote because those can be heat moulded and rasped to adapt for thickness.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fr0sty, You could try this as a source of materials

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Ski-Boot-Fitting-Kit-Custom-fit-your-boots-RP-25_W0QQitemZ360188411731QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportingGoods_Skiing_Accessories?hash=item53dce6ff53&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
carroz, if it truly -is- a temporary fix, then fr0sty can just pinch a mousepad or two from work?
latest report
Folks, thanks for all the input so far. I've done the shell test etc. I'm careless (a 'sales' mug!) for not buying from a fitter, especially knowing the score, but I've had a good look at them before I ever tried to ski in them.

The heel 'lifts' and there is a noticeable left-to-right motion (or slop) when initiating turns. It's noticeable enough that I feel loss of control, so for me that's reason enough to effect a fix, quick or otherwise.

I will go to the fitter, (undoubtedly Colin), but it's not presently practical. So I was looking for a short-term fix.

I'm currently trying to engineer something which simply braces tighter around my right ankle, a bit like a custom liner might, to keep the heel down where it should be - if I could find a solution with this then the fit would be excellent.

I clearly have a freakishly slender right heel! - I know this! ha-ha!

Cheers!
ski holidays
fr0sty, You could try putting some padding on the outsides of the liner, maybe start with an 'L' shaped piece behind and below each ankle bone.
snow report
fr0sty, PM me the boot make , model and size ,if you want to send a picture of your foot you can do...i will post you some pads to stick to the liner to hold the heel and ankle down...may be next week though when i get off the plane and back to the office
snow conditions
CEM, that's very kind of you. I'll take some photos and then PM you all of the information.
snow conditions
not a problem
snow conditions
fr0sty,
Quote:

I'll take some photos

That will be a bit of a challenge, mightbe easier if someone took them for you Toofy Grin
snow report
Is there a sanctified-super-mega-snowHead category? Toofy Grin
snow report
Hurtle, yeah. You were the first member wink
latest report
RPF wrote:
Hurtle, yeah. You were the first member wink
Why me? I'm thinking CEM qualifies for sainthood - for being promptly and unfailingly helpful, even when he's on holiday! Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy