Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

working in a ski resort

Poster: A snowHead
The last of my kids go away to uni next year. I always regretted not doing a season working in a ski resort when I was younger, and am wondering if it is now too late.
I have toyed with the idea of being a chalet maid, or working in a bar just to finance a season's skiing.
Has anyone ever worked in a ski resort, and am I just too old now (I am 4Cool
I don't want to look ridiculous. I wouldn't be partying with the kids every night, I just want to finance a season's skiing with some casual work.
I would like to hear other people's views on this, and also anyone who has worked this way before.
I know it would be hard work. Not bothered about that.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
camerashy, Good on you, go for it! snowHead

I've stayed in chalets before where people your age and older have done exactly that. In fact, there is one guy, in his late fifties or so, who gave up a high powered job in the city, rented out his house and does a season every year. He bought a campervan and spends the summer fishing in Scotland and the winters in La Plagne. He said that the rental from his London house covers his lifestyle and although he's cut back on 'luxuries', reckons his quality of life is hugely superior now.

My circumstances don't allow at the moment, but if they did, I wouldn't think twice. Cool
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
camerashy, do it.... I did my first season when I was 39 and haven't been back to the UK since... this will be 3rd season..
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Totally agree......better to regret having done it than to regret never having done it!!!!

Do your research carefully on the type of job you would like to do and the types of companies that you would like to work for. The youngsters party very hard and seem to survive on about 30 mins sleep lol.

Natives.co.uk is the site to visit for advice on jobs. You'll be suprised at how many people who are no longer youngsters work in the Alps.

Good luck. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
camerashy, And I forgot to say Welcome to Snowheads snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Go for it! I am 40+ and will be doing my 7th season this winter. During that time I have met and worked with numerous people my age and older who are working in chalets and as reps.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've employed a 52 & 53 year old couple in the past. I have lots of 40+ friends that work as chalet boys & girls.

Do it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
camerashy, you're on the wrong website. Look at www.natives.co.uk
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am 55+ and about to start my 5th season. Guests love older staff. They get a guaranteed breakfast.

DO IT AND DO IT NOW!!!!!!

If you need advice then just ask.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
camerashy,

Welcome to snowheads snowHead

Try Ski Olympic in Doncaster. They employ some 'older' staff who all seem to have a good time Very Happy

There are lots of SOG's out there. Skiing Old Gessers wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
camerashy, Good for you. Go for it.
My friends Cathy and Mark are running a weeks "taster" course for a week over the next 2 weeks - short notice I know but you could get more details from their website and click on jobs. They have a really good set-up in one of the snowHead SH snowHead favoured areas that majors on skiing not nightlife. We'll be going back for our 8th year in a row in Jan!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mountain Haddock, that's a rather cheeky way of recruiting chalet staff.

camerashy, if you're considering chalet work, bear in mind that you will get most of that from your employer and be paid for your training period as well. You certainly won't have to pay them for it!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard, I'm just one of their punters, but noticed it on their website this week. I think its a good idea for someone who is not sure whether it for them, they can get insight, some skills and have a good week at the same time without committing fully to the idea. There are anumber of similar courses around the UK, but where would you rather do it?
I'm talking myself into going myself, I've got next week off...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
camerashy, Welcome to Snow Heads snowHead Definitely go for it!

If we are ever in a position to do this, and still non-decrepit enough for it to be fun, rather than the opposite, we'd love to. From a punter's perspective, seeing a more mature person in charge of things, can often be a positive Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There are also a number of other courses out in the Alps - that will be recognised by other companies.
Have a look at:
http://www.natives.co.uk/cgi-bin/job/job.pl?action=search&ed_id=4&jc_id=364&r_id=&submitButtonName=Find+Courses
snow report
Another vote for going for it. Pick the right company and the right resort and you'll have a fine time. We generally have at least one or two people on the team who are having a year off post children leaving home, taking early retirement, running away from monotony etc etc.

Depending on where you go and what you do the biggest sacrafice will probably be having a bit less personal space than you are used to. Beyond that you can have a great lifestyle for 5-6 months.
snow conditions
ctskifam wrote:
running away from matrimony

Well there is that... wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Running away from all sorts of things it's best not to talk about ... I'm very picky about the kind of fugitives I hire though Smile
latest report
Thanks for all of your replies.
I was a bit worried that I would look a sad old git doing something that I should have done when I was younger.
I looked at the site, natives and saw a job as an accountant working as a ski resort. I am an accountant, so the job is right up my street. Can't do it this year though.
Next year is soonest. Shame.
Anyway, I fancied the idea of something different. I fancied working as a chalet maid as I love cooking for other people. So a few questions:
Do they set you a budget for food when you are a chalet maid?
Do they give you that money, and you spend it as you see fit, or do you send them receipts for reimbursement?
Do you have any say over the menu, or can you do pretty much as you please?
Never having stayed at a chalet before, do you put the food in the middle of the table like a dinner party, or is it like a restaurant where it is already plated?
Do you have to give them options eg show them the menu at the beginning of the week etc, because what if you get a load of veggies?
What happens if there is no one in the chalet that week. Do you still get paid, and can you still stay there. Do you have your own chalet, or do you have to stay with them.
ski holidays
1. Yes (and the job title is chalet host these days)
2. Depends on the company - the cowboys dish out cash, the others usually run accounts with suppliers
3. Also depends on the company - as a rule bigger ones set the menu, smaller ones allow you more flexibility
4. Family service, usually - never enough space to plate food in a chalet kitchen
5. There's a veggie menu as well
6. You would rarely, if ever, have an empty week. If it happened you would still get paid (and fed and housed), but would probably be required to help out elsewhere. Your accommodation would depend on the chalet - some are live-in, some not.
latest report
camerashy, I'll answer based on my experience:

Do they set you a budget for food when you are a chalet maid?
Yup, varies a lot from comapny to company though.

Do they give you that money, and you spend it as you see fit, or do you send them receipts for reimbursement?
Bit of a mix. Generally you will have things delivered or buy on account but you may also have a cash float for bits and pieces.

Do you have any say over the menu, or can you do pretty much as you please?
Again varies by company. More and more have a fixed menu but smaller set ups will probably let you go "off piste" when they are confident about your cooking, assuming you are keeping to budget.

Never having stayed at a chalet before, do you put the food in the middle of the table like a dinner party, or is it like a restaurant where it is already plated?
Generally served up and looking pretty - some meals may suit being self service from dishes on the table though.

Do you have to give them options eg show them the menu at the beginning of the week etc, because what if you get a load of veggies?
Most firms don't give mcuh choice - but any veggies etc should be flagged up to you in advance so you can plan the meals.

What happens if there is no one in the chalet that week. Do you still get paid, and can you still stay there.
You'll either hit the slopes for a bit longer or a firm will move you to another property that is busy to help out. You should still be paid.

Do you have your own chalet, or do you have to stay with them.
Some chalets are live-in, some are live-out. No standard approach on that.

Hope thse bits help.
ski holidays
Lizzard, strewth you're quick ..... Smile
latest report
ctskifam, concise as well. Cool
ski holidays
Mark Warner employ ski resort accountants
Not sure how you apply, but I remeber seeing an advert from them once about this

Good luck with your plans
snow report
Gosh you lot really are mines of information.
Wayne, it was actually Mark Warner I saw the vacancy with. Makes me feel a bit better that you seem to think it is a regular thing. So I may be able to do it next year if there is a vacancy.
I would not be bothered about being paid that much. Just want a place to stay (free) so that I can ski. I can fund my own living expenses from my own income which would continue even if I was in a resort.
Thanks again.
snow report
The thing you might want/need to consider is that some tour operators put all their staff into a rather cramped apartment where you share a room (same sex).

I know it would drive me crazy having to share with some of the people I see in these...... just a thought
latest report
camerashy, most big TOs employ admin/accounts staff - look at Mark Warner, Neilson, Skiworld, Skiplan for a start.
snow conditions
camerashy, I'd say go for it, there are lots of people of all ages working in ski resorts, although of course there will be a large element of youngsters on gap years.

I think being slightly older you have a huge advantage when it comes to job applications, particularly in a tough market like it is this year.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
camerashy wrote:
I looked at the site, natives and saw a job as an accountant working as a ski resort. I am an accountant, so the job is right up my street.

I know two (unrelated) accountants who became ski bums for a few years. They used to just work in the summer and ski all winter. Accountancy paid them enough for that. But they were young and single, so didn't have many overheads, which might not apply to you. And I know a couple more who (although not in accountancy) just carried on with their existing jobs, but part-time and remotely. Including in one case, skiing in the southern hemisphere winter, too. So there are a few ways to do this.

That said, if you do have to, or want to work in a ski resort, I suspect you might get a better hourly rate as an accountant, and the work wouldn't leave you too tired to ski. (At my age and state of fitness, I wouldn't fancy chalet hosting and then rushing out to ski.) Also, I think it quite common for provided accommodation to be shared, so you might prefer to do your own thing, rather than rely on what's provided in a chalet.

Why don't you do a bit of research, and then arrange for an extended holiday in the resort which looks most likely? That wil give you an opportunity to scout around, and then lay your plans for the following season.

Whatever you decide, good luck and have fun.
snow report
camerashy, get yourself comfortable accommodation for the season. Make sure you have good wi-fi. Take laptop and external hard drive for backups. Carry on doing your present work (or if need be go freelance) part-time by internet (use encryption if needed). Enjoy the rest of the time skiing. Strikes me that as an accountant there is no point in you slumming it, nor is there a reason for you to be cooped up in a UK office.

BTW, 40 is terribly young from my perspective. But be brave, you can always fly home to your mum with the washing every fortnight or so.
snow report
camerashy wrote:
Gosh you lot really are mines of information.
Wayne, it was actually Mark Warner I saw the vacancy with. Makes me feel a bit better that you seem to think it is a regular thing. So I may be able to do it next year if there is a vacancy.
I would not be bothered about being paid that much. Just want a place to stay (free) so that I can ski. I can fund my own living expenses from my own income which would continue even if I was in a resort.
Thanks again.

TO accommodation is generally very poor (ie worse than student digs). Just bear this in mind when job hunting! Good luck!! wink
latest report
Its just since I came on this forum I thought about doing accountancy work. I am surprised that this sort of work exists because although most accountancy work is seasonal, it is rather deadline based ie year end, month end, tax year, it is not seasonal in the sense of revolving around the ski season, like a ski instructor. I had thought about chalet work or bar work before then I suppose because I like cooking. I cook for big dinner parties etc, which I probably couldn't have done as well when I was younger. I would imagine that the younger ones may struggle with that more than I would - one of the few advantages of advancing years really!
Achilles, I wish I was only 40. I am nearly 49. For some reason there is an emoticon on the last digit of my original message. Do you think that is too old? I wish I could take my washing home to mum, but she has been dead for a number of years. I do take your point though. If it all goes tits up then I would just come home. Its not like I actually need the work. I just want to ski and fund it at the same time. I did fancy going to France to improve my french a bit. I can read, write and speak French to an OK standard, but you can always improve, and thought it may be an opportunity to do that.
I think I am worried about looking stupid, and a bit sad, like the "oldest swinger in town"
For various reasons, I would rather not have much income, that would be assessable for tax on me, so if I say, said to the companies, I would do the work for next to nothing, I would rather have reduced hours, nicer accommodation, and flights for myself and family, do you think that would work if I did accountancy work, which I would imagine would be slightly more money than bar work or chalet type work.
Thanks again for all of your kind words and not making me feel like I have asked stupid questions.
ski holidays
Accounts/admin will pay much the same as chalet, but without the tips - remember it's basic bookkeeping, not proper accountancy (Mr L used to do it for various people). As a competent chalet host you should be able to live on tips and not touch your wages.

You won't look sad or stupid - no-one cares. There are lots of old gits lying around resorts doing various things, including TO chalet work.

If you apply, ask for a chalet on your own. Better tips, you don't have to chase some kid who doesn't know what clean looks like, and better chance of getting a single room. Look at smaller operators, who are lkely to be flexible and treat their staff with a bit of respect. TUI will treat you like a cross between recalcitrant child and a chimp, which will p*ss you right off.

I have an idea Silver Ski have a preference for older staff. And look at smaller ops like Ski Peak, Le Ski, Finlay Ski, etc etc. There are squillions out there.

Now, get on with it. Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy