Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

True costs of driving to the Alps.....

Poster: A snowHead
Burnsy wrote:
......If you were concerned about the relatively small sums involved you wouldn't be involved in a fairly expensive hobby like skiing Twisted Evil

Who said we were 'concerned'? The OP was about the 'true costs' of driving to the Alps. As invited, folk have been trying to provide best answers in their views. It's been rather amusing.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Talking of amusing achilles, I'm still waiting for a reply from this ->
Quote:

achilles, which bit do you disagree with? I have to say that "haha you're not an accountant" gives me nothing to argue against. I'm looking at what the cost is to me personally and think I have looked at *my* specific circumstances and tried to work it out, rather than just picking a figure of 30-50p a mile out of the air and using that because that's what someone says it costs. I'm discounting my standing costs for the purposes of working out the cost of my trip (becuase I have to pay these anyway) and then tried to work out the actual cost based on my attitude to depreciation (running my car in to the ground) and the performance/costs of my car. Isn't that a better way of doing it than using a general figure?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We could have driven there and back by now Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have already posted this information at another thread but consider it relevant here as it is the "true cost" in my case

My record for my last few years skiing (unit in Sterling Pound)

Year- 2010- 2009- 2008- 2007- 2006
Crossing + fuel- 844- 655- 712- 681- 691
Accommodation- 1555- 1991- 554- 1014- 634
Ski pass- 360- 1066- 535- 416- 618
food- 710- 1465- 612- 612- 854
Non skiing expenditure- 0- 0- 300- 973- 105

Total- 3469- 5177- 2713- 3696- 2901

Pure skiing - 3469- 5177- 2413- 2723- 2797
No day skied- 12- 15- 11- 12- 14
cost /skiing day/couple- 289- 345- 219- 227- 207

The figures are NOT representative of an average skier because

(1) We normally do a 2 weeks trip. Except in 2008 we skied 3 weeks in Switzeralnd (you can tell from the unit cost).
(2) The cost is all in for a couple, without sharing cost with a third party.
(3) year 2010 figures are just a budget estimate for skiing Amade and Dolomiti in Mar 2010. The only unsure bits are the cost for fuel and food.
(4) We skied on an average 8 to 10 resorts in each trip, go anywhere in the Alps
(5) We spend on next to nothing on alcohol
(6) We dine out most of the time
(7) We stay at off-resort accommodations but ski the expensive places like Zermatt, Davos, St Moritz, Lech, Ischgl etc.
(Cool We carry our own equipment and insist on having an ensuite double/twin room to ourselves.
(9) Most of the booked accommodations require a driving time of between 10 to 20 minutes to the chairlift stations.
(10) We would choose access points, resorts, countries and time of visit to avoid queues.
(11) Our way of skiing involves pay the premium for the ski pass by the market daily rate without any discount.

Thus for a £2500-£3000 skiing trip for a couple for two week the equivalent weekly cost per head would be £625-£750. In it there is a hidden saving of crossing the channel only only once. The depreciation of the vehicle is excluded.

Not suggesting the above for anyone. It is just a demonstration of another way to skin the cat.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 10-09-09 22:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

2000 miles in about 32 hours!

That's an average of 62.5 MPH - with nothing allowed for rest stops!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
TotallyBoard wrote:
Talking of amusing achilles, I'm still waiting.....

Please don't wait for me. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Burnsy,
Quote:

We'll do around 2hour stints each and the miles fly by. We did it in 21Hours (including ferry time) door to door in April this year leaving from the south of Glasgow to Les Contamines. I'm 2 miles from the start of the M74 and the next time I turn off the motorway it's at the La Fayet turnoff of the Autoroute Blanche.

Shows how its different for different folk I live just West of Glasgow and wouldn't dream of trying to drive it in a oner. I have driven it for skiing holidays before (in two days) but am so knackered the weeek I get back any benefit of the holiday is lost.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saikee, you sir are a true Snowhead. Outstanding record keeping. I just keep my lift passes wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty,

But I haven't told you that I started skiing in 1999 and only managed to keep a full set of records in the last few years for the Alpine trips.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This thread is right up there with best of them!!...... Some truely outstanding contributions - I salute you. rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
saikee, don't ruin it.. nice one Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Now that we know the "true" costs of driving to the Alps - Confused - What exactly are we comparing it with?? Just looked at Easyjet for cost of flying family of 4 to Geneva from Luton, Feb half term week (cos we can only go in school hols) and its giving me a cost of £1496 including hold luggage, 2 prs skis and a snowboard. On top of that would need to add transfers and car parking. In our particular situation we happen to be quids in by going by car, and it also means we can load up the car with provisions for the week, and stop at a supermarket for beer and wine.

On the other hand, if you're lucky enough to be able to go outside of school holidays, you would probably get ridiculously cheap flights (or tour operator deals) which would make driving the less attractive option.

Fact is, we all make our choices based on our own situations, preferences and experiences, and as long as you're happy with the choice made, that's all that matters. Arguing about the best mode of transport, is a bit like arguing about the best way to slide down a mountain.

Twisted Evil
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am about to fly to the Alps! £130.00 for 2 of us inclusive of car hire for 4 days, although I have not added car parking at Stansted and petrol and toll costs.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ennalsj, best way to slide down a mountain? That would be on a snowboard then Twisted Evil
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was wondering, when trying to calculate my own costs, should I factor in an amount for the time it has taken my to read this thread Confused
ski holidays
Fogliettaz, Don't forget to add the cost of driving to Stansted, including a percentage of servicing costs and replacement tyres, and the cost of the newspaper you buy to read waiting for your flight Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
latest report
Quote:

I was wondering, when trying to calculate my own costs, should I factor in an amount for the time it has taken my to read this thread

Depends. Opportunity cost. If the alternative was to stroll down the pub for a pint, then you're quids in.
latest report
altis wrote:

Not impossible, coming home after last season I drove L2A to Dunkerque in not much over 9 hours with one 20 minute loo+petrol stop and 2 other petrol stops. Ended up on the ferry two before the one I was booked one. Thats a bit over 900 km and I didn't drive at a stupid speed at any time.
snow conditions
Swirly wrote:
altis wrote:

Not impossible, coming home after last season I drove L2A to Dunkerque in not much over 9 hours with one 20 minute loo+petrol stop and 2 other petrol stops. Ended up on the ferry two before the one I was booked one. Thats a bit over 900 km and I didn't drive at a stupid speed at any time.

But the further you are going, the harder it becomes to maintain that sort of average speed.

You could do it for 550 miles, but could you have managed it for 2000?
latest report
alex_heney, no reason why not with an extra driver, the ferry would drop the AVS though and my car might have died. OTOH the cars these people are driving get serviced every 12000 miles, are probably less than 13 years old and go faster than mine too.
latest report
ennalsj wrote:
Now that we know the "true" costs of driving to the Alps - Confused - What exactly are we comparing it with?? Just looked at Easyjet for cost of flying family of 4 to Geneva from Luton, Feb half term week (cos we can only go in school hols) and its giving me a cost of £1496 including hold luggage, 2 prs skis and a snowboard. On top of that would need to add transfers and car parking. In our particular situation we happen to be quids in by going by car, and it also means we can load up the car with provisions for the week, and stop at a supermarket for beer and wine.

On the other hand, if you're lucky enough to be able to go outside of school holidays, you would probably get ridiculously cheap flights (or tour operator deals) which would make driving the less attractive option.

Fact is, we all make our choices based on our own situations, preferences and experiences, and as long as you're happy with the choice made, that's all that matters. Arguing about the best mode of transport, is a bit like arguing about the best way to slide down a mountain.

Twisted Evil

At last some common sense.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy