Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meribel or Courchevel?

Poster: A snowHead
If you had a day or to spend in the Trois Vallees, where would you spend it? Bearing in mind it not being worth buying a trois vallees pass.

Thinking that in my two week visit to the Tarentaise, to visit the Trois Vallees. Bearing in mind I'm an adventorous intermediate.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 8-09-09 17:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How about La Tania - the local pass covers LT and Courchevel and it's all nicely linked for a day trip.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Christopher, Why detour from the Tarentaise? There is soooo much skiing there
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I always like to see new places. Get a flavour of different resorts, for future trips.

For 2 weeks skiing, a day outside of Espace Killey/Paradiski won't harm getting to know them.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Courchevel for me - some nice runs and if you go to the far left (of piste map) its quiet - Meribel being the mid point gets very busy on all runs
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Courchevel for me as well, loads of skiing and some good 1/2 day or longer off piste excursions if you wish.....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Christopher, how do you plan on getting from your Tarentaise resort to the Trois Vallees? That might have a bearing on where you visit for the day trip.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Meribel for me I love the place but very busy in feb
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Courchevel
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Neither...La Rosiere surely?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Christopher, Courchevel out of the two usually much better snow than much of Meribel and more varied skiing too.
Actually if it was just one day I would agree with rungsp, don't know if he was joking but geetting the best out of a large busy resort ina day is not aoways easy, I would try La Foy or La Ros probably a bit easier to find the best stuff and cheaper as well. Give yourself a bit more time to explore 3V on a full holiday.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That's one long drive for a day out!

Or about 200 euros each way for a taxi!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
courchevel
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Christopher,

If you look at the piste map Courchevel should be the obvious choice. In reality it is because the main area 1850 is an intermediate paradise.

Courchevel has La Tania, 1300, 1550, 1850 and 1650 making it more than a day's skiing for most skiers.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Christopher, it might be worth checking discounts on buying season passes in advance - in some places a season pass bought in advance (often before end November) costs around the same as two weeks, and it might well give you some interesting options on other resorts to visit without paying much extra. Where will you be based?
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Christopher, it might be worth checking discounts on buying season passes in advance - in some places a season pass bought in advance (often before end November) costs around the same as two weeks, and it might well give you some interesting options on other resorts to visit without paying much extra. Where will you be based?

I'm not aware of any 'early-buying discounts' for Paradiski - I looked pretty hard last season! Nor have I heard of similar for EK or 3v.

rob@rar wrote:
Christopher, how do you plan on getting from your Tarentaise resort to the Trois Vallees? That might have a bearing on where you visit for the day trip.

Ski and stick the thumb out/bus surely - Ski to champagny en Vanoise then bus/hitch/taxi along to Brides and up the bubble into Meribel. Reverse when you want to go home (punchy!)

altis wrote:
That's one long drive for a day out!

Not really - about 45-50 minutes when I did it for a day last season to meet some mates. Parked in Le Praz (free) and had a free day's lift pass.

But I'm kind of with other people on this thread - why not La Ros or Ste Foy for a day. Keep 3v in the bag for another week (or two)- you'll need lots of time to discover it - even with 2 solid weeks a while ago I haven't really covered VT at all.
snow report
bertie bassett, yes, I can imagine you did look hard! I think it's more a North America thing, though a good few French resorts also do it. Our season pass for the Espace Diamant would cost 525 euros, but only 345 bought before the end of November. It's on my calendar in big letters not to forget.

I don't know the Tarentataise well - I'd like to visit Ste Foy. But aren't there any other hidden jewels that few people have heard of? Isn't there some tiny little village up a valley somewhere? I can't remember the name.
latest report
Agree with Anniepen, La Tania is really nice
snow report
courchevel
latest report
Cheers for the replies, yeah I think if I do manage a day trip it'll be to Courchevel. Planning to be based in Les Arcs for a week and a week in Val d'Isere. What time does the Les Arcs funiculair upto 1600 stop for the day?

I'll be getting my lift pass through the UCPA as a part of their package, so I don't actually know whether I would be getting the Paradiski pass or the Les Arcs one. To be honest the Paradiski would be nice for the occasional day to La Plagne, but I'm not too fussed.

There is a bus from Moutiers > Courchevel. So I'm thinking of taking the train from Bourg > Moutiers and then the bus. If I could be bothered and got the 7am train from Bourg I wouldn't miss any skiing.

pam w, Valloire have done a very cheap season deal in the past. You don't want to go to that unamed windswept nightmare Laughing

I thought St Foy is only worth it for the off piste.

Yes saikee, I realise that the amount of skiing in each valley is well more than a days skiing.
snow conditions
Christopher, I think the last funicular from BSM is about 7.20pm
snow conditions
On my limited experience, I prefered Courcheval.
snow conditions
Based on a week in les arcs with a la plagne visit always possible and then a week in val d'sre think you would be nuts to take time out to visit another resort.

Based on how you describe skiing courcheval and the trois vallees offers fantastic skiing even if they can blow your budget if you happen to call in to the wrong piste side restaurant. Courcheval valley without venturing in to the other valleys can easily keep you busy for a week
snow conditions
I think may SH like me have taken a car to Tarentaise Valley and ski all the resorts in two weeks.

If one bases at Bourg St Maurice, which is the access point for Les Arc, it is 17 miles out of the valley to trois Valles and 17 miles into the valley to Tignes/Val D. One can knock up La Rosiere, La Plagnes, Ste Foy and Valmorel on any chosen day.

1600km piste in Tarentaise is really spoiled for choices.
snow conditions
It is going to be so tempting to ski over the top whichever you do. Personally I'd say Val Thorens - not sure why you didn't mention the third (plus 4th) valley. Or if it has to be one of the two you mentioned, then Courchevel.
snow report
saikee, I'm afraid I'm still a learner driver and way below 21, so driving is out of the picture unfortunatly.

snowball, Hadn't really thought about Val Thorens tbh. I know its got some very good skiing, but thought Meribel and Courchevel were closer and easier to get to. Its one for the future definitely as is the whole area. Why Val Thorens over the other two for you personally?
ski holidays
Our Serre Chevalier season pass offers a 25% discount before Dec 1st, and an additional free summer lift pass before Nov 1st.
snow report
Well, it is the nearest of the three to Moutier with fairly regular buses up from the station.
If you consider the skiing off La Masse (by Les Menuires village down the valley) as well as by St Martin de Belleville at the bottom of the valley (good lunch stop) and the runs over the top into the 4th valley, as well as its own big ski area it is the biggest of the ski areas with plenty of challenge - especially off the Cime de Caron, and lots of off piste (long, remote descents down the back of La Masse to St Martin for instance, or more easily to the Lac du Lou).
It is also the highest resort and though this makes the Val Thorens village area a bit bleak because of the lack of trees, it makes it about as snow sure as you can get.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball wrote:
Well, it is the nearest of the three to Moutier with fairly regular buses up from the station.

Val Thorens is the furthest from Moutiers. Much quicker to get to Courchevel or Meribel.
snow conditions
rob@rar, I just looked at a map and you are right, I hadn't taken into account that the ski valley is so long and Val Thorens is at the far end. St Martin de Belleville at the bottom of the ski area IS closer than Courchevel and Meribel.
snow conditions
snowball, the quickest way to get to one of the main 3V resort centres from Moutiers is to drive/bus to Courchevel 1300 and take the Le Praz gondola up to C1850. Courchevel 1300 is maybe 10 minutes shorter drive than getting St Martin.
snow conditions
I am surprised, SMdeB looks much nearer on the map. Must be the winding roads make it slower.
snow report
From Moutiers, Meribel and St Martin are both about a 20 minute drive, ValT about 40 minutes, Courch 1850 around 30 minutes (all assuming not much traffic). Christopher, Im assuming that you want to get a feel for the skiing available, and only have one day, and that you will be staying on-piste. If that's the case, I'd suggest aiming for the top of the Saulire (either from Meribel or Courchevel). This will give you impressive views over much of the three valleys, along with a wide choice of runs down in either the Meribel of Courchevel valleys (mainly reds and blacks)
ski holidays
Yes, but with no 3 valleys pass he will only be able to ski down one side.
snow report
Patch, I'm sure I'll pay a visit to the top of the Saulire as from the looks of it and from what I've read its pretty special. As snowball, said I won't be able to ski down to Meribel as I will only have a pass for Courchevel as thats where I've decided I'm going to go.
snow report
Christopher wrote:
Patch, I'm sure I'll pay a visit to the top of the Saulire as from the looks of it and from what I've read its pretty special. As snowball, said I won't be able to ski down to Meribel as I will only have a pass for Courchevel as thats where I've decided I'm going to go.

actually some of my most memorable runs are la saluire to courchevel 1500 or le praz ( no stopping)

still think you've got about 750km of skiing available with les arcs, la plagne and tignes/val d'sere so wouldn't rush off for a day trip
snow conditions
From Saulire you can do the famous Grand Couloir - previously a very steep black, now an itinerary (I think). And the Jockey run is worth a go (further down the ridge) if the snow goes down far enough. Lots of good off piste.
latest report
snowball,
Quote:

From Saulire you can do the famous Grand Couloir

Surely not adviseable for an adventurous intermediate! (Christopher's claimed skiing standard at the start of this thread)
snow report
snowball, ability wise, how good do you need to be to get down those two itineraries in ok without any major issues? I have a feeling that is about the extent that my skiing ability will be able to get me down without struggling majorly.
snow conditions
Christopher, I don't think the Gd Couloir would be a sensible option for you just yet, not least because of the narrow ridge you need to ski along to get there (no room for mistakes on the ridge). Jockeys is a nice black though - one of my favourite ever moments on skis was doing GS turns down it in knee deep powder Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy