Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family ski holidays, what's your budget and who do you go with?

Poster: A snowHead
Got our regular chalet last year at half term for 1500chf or thereabout...sleeps 9 but we had 4 adults and 3 kids and drove down,
The car carries 5 adults locally so the kids squeezed in anyhow with a roof box for kit...

If you rounded it up to £2800, absolute TOPS, that is £700 per adult and the kids are free, lift passes, ski hire and lessons and pretty much all the food.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TotallyBoard, I hear what you're saying it's just we're not that close to the tunnel so add another 5 hours to the journey. Plus MPG on my vehicle is pretty poor so with say 600(?) miles to the slopes from Dover and 300 miles to get to Dover I'm looking at close to 2000 miles round trip. I reckon that will cost me over £400 on fuel alone without allowing for wear and tear snow chains etc. Yes, it's probably cheaper than 4 flights but it's a hell of a trade off in terms of time/effort (I'd be doing the whole trip in the drivers seat).

Gear wise, I guess we could buy some skis (I have some but no one else in the family does) but again it's a massive outlay. But I do hear what you're saying once you have it you feel as though you're saving money. Of course if you don't drive you end up paying for the carriage which sort of negates the point of saving money a bit. Plus gear needs to be upgraded as children get bigger.

Teacher issue is the same here. So no option of taking the children out of school anyway. I probably wouldn't want to do that anyway. I'm sure there are ways to trim the costs but fundamentally I'm still looking at four people going skiing which with the best will in the world is unlikely to come in much less than £500 per head. I've found lift passes to be so expensive now - closer to £200 than the £80 I used to think of them in my head as!

Guess it's time to get a bit creative with my ski holidays. Still not keen on Bulgaria though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, have just been using the search facility as I have booked to go to Bisanne 1500 next half term (yes I know it's a bad time but we can't avoid it for the next 4 years). I see you are very familiar with the building we are renting in! (Think it's apartment C5 if my memory serves me correctly). I've done a SWIFT payment for the first time but I have a practical question and I wonder if you know the answer as you seem to be the Bisanne expert on Snowheads. We have to pay the normal "caution" which we have done by credit card in the past at the apartment reception in various places. If we are renting from an individual would this still be the case - the contract mentions a cheque in Euros but we don't have a French bank account - do the Fermes de Beaufortain operate system of credit card "cautions"? I have found all your posts on the Espace Diamant very helpful and interesting - can't wait to try it out!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
AW, Les Fermes du Beaufortain apartments are all individually owned - so the policy will vary from owner to owner. If the apartment you're renting is indeed C5 then it's right over ours (a friend of my son's will be there with her family at half term so I hope they won't make too much noise. wink ). The usual system with other owners we know is that you give them a euro cheque and they give it back to you at the end of the week if all is well. I suppose you could do the same thing with cash? I don't know who does the handovers at that apartment.

I'm sure you'll have a great time - just make sure you ski all through the lunch period when plenty of those in competition for the lifts will be eating!

Any specific questions, feel free to send me a PM. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What a well timed thread! I am ever the optimist and hoping me and me lovely other half will get a week away late season - with our 3 month old (if he arrives on schedule!). We'll almost certainly self cater (did last year with a group and it was around £500 per head all in so we are definitely in the low budget camp!) but the big thing will be childcare. Does anyone know of any reputable resort / TO creche's that cater for babes that young??
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
always29,
Not sure about a 3 month old baby, but I know that Mark Warner has a kiddy clubs in most of their hotels. May be worth a call to ask them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
always29, your budget will certainly have to go up if you start looking at the likes of Mark Warner. Taking granny would be cheaper. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, don't I know it! I've had (and recycled!) brochures from ski esprit and ski familie, who have creches from 4 and 3 months respectively - even their cheapest weeks in the cheapest chalets would be more than doubling our budget so they were both definite no's! We've touted the granny option - not had any takers yet but I am sure the odd reminder won't hurt.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, doh!....... teach the kids yourself and keep them over lunch...saving £418...or maybe you dont like them that much...or vice versa.........

okbye
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
always29 wrote:
What a well timed thread! I am ever the optimist and hoping me and me lovely other half will get a week away late season - with our 3 month old (if he arrives on schedule!). We'll almost certainly self cater (did last year with a group and it was around £500 per head all in so we are definitely in the low budget camp!) but the big thing will be childcare. Does anyone know of any reputable resort / TO creche's that cater for babes that young??

£520 a head in March for a catered chalet with decent English childcare.........

http://www.familyfriendlyskiing.com/price.html
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kittenski - thanks for this but if we do go there will be a few of us and we'll be the only ones with a little one so think inflicting a family chalet on the few others we'd be going with would be a bit mean!

Do any tour operators who do the in chalet type creches have any self catering accomodation? The only resort I've found that does creche from 3 months is les menuires but L3V can be very expensive as we discovered last year!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We had an amazing ski holiday in the US this winter. My wife and both of my children were happy)We spent about 2k£ for 2 weeks, so I think it's fine!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lots of resorts will do great deals around Easter if you book accommodation through the tourist office. Last year we booked an apartment in the centre of les Gets for 9 of us, including all lift passes for €1300. Self-drive (diesel car, don't overnight it), eat in and it's a cheap holiday. I found similar deals this year in Saas Fee, Ski Amade and les Sybelles.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I know that for some it is impossible but i always take my daughter out of school for a week.
I refuse to pay the inflated prices they command at half term etc..

I normally pay around £1500 with crystal on their Ski+ deals......SC, lift pass, ski hire.
We take around £600 to pay for food/drink and a couple of private lessons.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
this years holiday with my family (4 of us) was around 7-8k in total. my parents book it all independently. if you book far enough in advance you can get very cheap flights.
snow report
Quote:

if you book far enough in advance you can get very cheap flights.

If the flights were cheap, something else must have been pretty pricey to add up to £8K!
snow report
I always look upon the 'ski holiday' as a challenge....more now than ever.In the past I've cracked some real bargains,but now find these opportunities getting scarcer.Got fed up with TO's long ago...so its DIY all the way.Like many,due to work,school etc,I have to plan early;so the chance of a last minute bargain never features for me.Generally self catering,so start the search early.As its usually 2wks,will always ask for discount(and usually get it wink )Used to fly and car hire,but got so fed up with wasting time at every leg,that I now drive all the way.Always stop mid journey,and happily recommend B&B Hotels(Troyes)as a stopover.Big shop in closest large supermarket,then its up to the snow.Biggest pain,to me,is lift passes.When,oh when,are the French going to drag themselves into present day,and offer non consecutive days?I generally,over a 2wk period,will not ski 2x6days....I want to ski around 10days,so why not a 10day discount?No doubt it is because they is French NehNeh
Anyhow,gave up budgets long ago.Budget and ski will never be close bedfellows.I console myself with the fact that,as I have had a lot of practise,I doubt if many could improve on my total spend...and settle for that wink
Final tip, don't add up receipts when you get back.Might force you to take up golf Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy