Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

CSIA and CSCF 2009/2010

Poster: A snowHead
Perhaps use this thread for discussion of the Canadian systems - and indeed as a Q&A spot.

Both the Canadian Ski Instructors' Alliance, and the Canadian Ski Coaches' Federation should be announcing their course schedules in the coming few days.

Is there anyone considering any of the courses?

Anyone planning on taking the first step on the instructing ladder? Wanting to start down the road of a highly respected coach development pathway?

Or is there anyone looking at climbing up the ladder a little further this year?

I'm not sure if I'll be doing anything myself this season. Not sure if I can justify the time ontop of a month or so instructing this year... of course, the work could pay for the course... Madeye-Smiley Time will tell - I'm waiting for schedules to be released, then I can see if something can be worked in. Was thinking of doing the CSIA III course (though not the exams) as there is a $50 rebate if you pay your dues online before the end of the month. I'd briefly thought of CSCF Development Level, but would like to have a bit more time in a club/racing environment first.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm, haven't paid my dues yet. back bottom.

Might do my CSIA3, pushing it though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skisimon, Do you think it is realistic to do CSCF DL if you are not coaching in Canada ? I think I will wait a bit longer to see if an APC2 course takes place in Europe.

I was thinking of ordering some CSCF DVDs, anyone interested in a joint order to share the delivery costs ?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
anyone interested in a joint order to share the delivery costs ?

rjs, I've been meaning to get my hands on the CSIA manual for a while, so I'd be interested if we could combine the two.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I might get in on an order if anyone goes ahead with one.

rjs, I'm thinking that it's probably going to be pretty tough without having a season or two of active coaching, though have heard of people getting through the DL with virtually no race experience, let along coaching experience. If you race/train a bit over here, then it's certainly not beyond the realms of possibility - especially as you'll have an idea about course-setting (as I understand it, the big stumbling block for non-active coaches). Personally, I'll probably be giving it a couple of seasons...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skisimon, I was thinking more about the requirements to be evaluated on your coaching while at a race and to attend a speed camp than on how hard it is to pass the initial DL course.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah... certified status...

I know that there are some coaches who are able to sign off the mentor programme for EL, I'm not sure that there are any in a position to sign off the necessary bits for DL certified though. Will have a little dig around a little.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skisimon, try contacting Dave Morris, i think he is a CSCF facilitator (or whatever they call them).. The CSCF system is excellent. The progression from EL to DL to me is well thought out and one where "serving your time" in an apprentice role really is valued. shame you cant actually seen to do it over here...

RJS could probably comment but the SSx top level seems similar but again with so few involved at teh higher levels it is tough to get course run and expereienced coaches to mentor. sorry for the thread drift but i thought APC2 was no longer... rjs, isnt it now the L4 award or is it something different and still active?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, APC2 is now called Alpine Performance Coach Level 4. There is a requirement that you have been coaching for at least three years after getting L3 so there is a similar idea of serving an apprenticeship to the CSCF system.

My question about doing the bits of DL to gain certified status was because you wouldn't just turn up by yourself to a race or speed camp, you would be taking your trainees to it as well.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers for the reminder on paying my dues Wink

DaveC, you should go for the course at the very least, even if you are not looking good to pass the course will probably do good things for your skiing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjs, tah, do you recon the personal skiing level is much higher on the APC4 compared to ADC4? or are they pretty much the same courses.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, No idea on the level, I haven't seen an ADC4 being run. From the descriptions on the SSE website I don't think they have much in common.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can someone translate 'a few days' from Canadian into English for me... Wink Laughing rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm hopefully going out to Canada round about January time with the day job. I'm literally waiting on the course schedule to be able to plan my trip, as I'll then go from Toronto to somewhere to do my CSIA II. Anyone know anywhere 'near' Toronto?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Blue Mountain is probably the nearest ski hill of any notable size to Toronto. Whether they'll have any courses or not remains to be seen... whenever the 'few days' is up. Laughing
snow report
Course schedule's up:

http://www.snowpro.com/csia/e/certifications.html

Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Back home for the weekend. Pile of post waiting for me, including this years licence. What a cheap bit of tat, I'd at least expect a bit of plastic... Laughing rolling eyes

I think I'll be giving it a decent run out this year. Toofy Grin

Now, to find a winning lottery ticket to pay for flights and courses etc... At least my new local in Plymouth has been labelled the luckiest in the UK (having had three millionaire lottery winners as regulars at one time)...
latest report
skisimon, is it sh*t, I quite like getting the card Laughing Hopefully mine comes through soon!

My brother 'won' today, was a tenner Sad
snow report
It's like some temporary thing. It's less rigid that a bit of laminated tissue paper... Shock

Still, it's not what you've got, it's what you do with it that counts... Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
I had ordered the CSCF World 2010 and World 2009 DVDs and watched them for the first time today. There is useful stuff on both of them, bit more technical detail on the 2009 one, the "Tech Talk" section of the 2010 one follows the coaches during the Semmering WC weekend looking at both GS and SL.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy