Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Potentially very stupid boots and binding question!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Be kind lol

Now i have no intention of doing any DIY adjustments, maintenance etc to my skis, i know my limits, and therefore i know little about the technical side of things. I prefer to leave this to more experienced people than me and i am quite happy to pay for this privilige and hopefully contribute in some small way to keeping people in jobs they love by doing so.

Yesterday my husband purchased some ski boots for me from Decathlon. They were reduced from £299 to £79 so i can see the draw and appreciate his thoughtfulness. My current boots have had a lot of hammer, have one clip that doesnt adjust anymore and several deep gouges in the shell from being trapped under a skidoo out backcounrty skiing once so i guess they were due for renewal. The new boots are the same size and same make just a more recent and advanced boot that my previous. The fit feels as good as my current boots to me, they feel a little tighter right now but not unreasonably so. So first question is, is it possible to take boots purchased elsewhere to a boot fitter for opinion, moulding, custom insoles etc? I know this isnt the right way of doing things but thats hell of a saving and figure i could flog the new boots unworn on flea bay and recover some of the outlay if needs be (or even take them back to Decathlon if i get my finger out and see someone soon)

Secondly, my ski bindings are drilled flat into the ski (sorry i did say i wasnt technical so not sure if that is the right terminology) without a rail. I have check my new boots against the old and the new are 2mm longer 280mm instead of 278mm. How much difference does 2mm make. I feel i need my bindings looking at but my hubby (snowboarder) thinks that 2mm wont make any difference. I have tried them in the bindings and it seems to work but on my living room floor is different to that moment you need them to release on the mountain. I'm sure i read somewhere on here once that even with bindings that arent on a rail there is about 10mm room for adjustment, is that right or will it depend on the binding? In short then should i take them to be looked at or will i be laughed out the shop for a 2mm difference in boot sole length?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snobunni wrote:

is it possible to take boots purchased elsewhere to a boot fitter for opinion, moulding, custom insoles etc?

the new are 2mm longer 280mm instead of 278mm. How much difference does 2mm make. I feel i need my bindings looking at but my hubby (snowboarder) thinks that 2mm wont make any difference. In short then should i take them to be looked at or will i be laughed out the shop for a 2mm difference in boot sole length?

Yes, be prepared that they may say the boots are too big / wrong shape for your foot

And

No you will not be laughed at, the ski tech should check the forward pressure, it may be too high as they are 2 mm longer and so may need to adjust it, they also (depending on binding) may need to check toe height of binding. The forward pressure adjustment is important so you should get them looked at.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi.....your ski boots are your single most important bit of equipment. If i were you i would go back to the shop where they were purchased and get one of their experienced boot fitters to help you decide if the type of boot and fit are right for you. The right boot and fit translates directly to being confident (and pain free) on your skis. And yes...your bindings will need a minor adjustment..... Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snobunni wrote:
In short then should i take them to be looked at or will i be laughed out the shop for a 2mm difference in boot sole length?

1 Yes.

2 On general principles, any ski shop that laffs at paying customers should be out of business.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GreyCat wrote:
If i were you i would go back to the shop where they were purchased and get one of their experienced boot fitters to help you decide if the type of boot and fit are right for you.

We're talking Decathalon here y'know.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GreyCat, The shop they werer purchased at does not have experienced boot fitters.
snobunni, if you can go see CEM about the boots he will do footbeds and tell you if they are right for you. In the mean time do your own shell check on them. Remove liner barefoot in shell toe just touching front of boot. If you have no more than 10-15mm gap between heel and back of boot is about right. More than 20mm you will likely have problems when the liners pack out 10mm would be pushing towards a performance fit rather than comfort although there are people who go smaller.
A shell check is the first thing CEM will do. So you may as well go to him with the right sized boot otherwise it will be a wasted trip. He may or may not decide the boots are right for your feet but if they are sized wrong he cant do much. At leat they are unused so you could return them if needs be. CEM makes really good footbeds and pays alot of attention to detail when he makes em. I have had mine badly done elsewhere.
They should feel tighter than your old boots but this is just the new liner you are feelin its telling you nothing about boot size.

The binding will need to be set for the new boot otherwise it will not function correctly and may not release when you want it to.
As you are in Nottingham it might be easiest to get Spyderjon to do this and if they need a bit of wax or the edges need a bit of care he's your man for that too.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks eveyone.

I have done the shell test and they fit fine. And although it may be naive i'm assuming that as the new boot is the same size from the same manufacturer, and the shell and the linings look so similar to the naked eye, as the old boot which was professionally fitted then i have a good starting point and its worth the punt. Plus dont want to look a gift horse in the mouth lol

My skis will need a tune before the season so once the boots are definately staying i'll take them along to Spyderjon.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snobunni, we could always take a road trip to visit CEM if it helps? My new boots still feel extremely tight to me and although not painful, I still wouldn't describe them as comfortable, so I definitely may benefit from his services.

Didn't realise Decathlon had ski stuff in again already! Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snobunni, as long as they have not modified the last width you could be on a winner so. I dont know how often manufacturers do or do not do this. One of the boot fitters would know more.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia, cool sounds like a plan. Decathlon have some of last years stuff in, mainly their own make Wed'ze but some branded stuff too.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snobunni, There is nothing wrong with their own brand clothes, I have several jackets but the one that I wear most often is a Decathlon softshell.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rjs, sorry, i've never used it as it always seems a little more style than substance in the womens. The mens seems to be more technical.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy