Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski season- espace killy vs Val Thoren

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello, looking for a bit of advice on my first ski season.
Right now i've got the opportunity to book an appartment in either val thorens or val d'isere for the season, result! However im in a bit of a dilemna over which one to go for as i've only ever skied val d'isere for a day, and that was spent in the park, and had no experiance of val thorens.
I'm going to be looking for some bar work or cleaning etc. when i get out there, otherwise i'll be eating snow and mountain grass. As an 18 year old lad with basic french speaking skills and a bit of bar experience does either of them have an advantages for finding work?
Im an experienced skier and prefer off piste and trees and im looking to get into a bit more park this season.
Basically, which one would you go for and why?
Cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
blas, val d isere has probably more bar oportunities and is a bit more of a party town than Val T ...but i guess it depends on what you are looking for, both are high so snow will be as good there as anywhere else....mmmm decisions decisions
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I reckon you'll have a good one wherever you end up. Probably Val Thorens might be a little cheaper on the pocket as it's a little less full of Tarquin and Jemima's than Val D'izzle. I don't think there's a massive difference in lift pass costs. If you're looking to pickup some bar work etc then get out there EARLY - like before the lifts open and walk around a lot and talk to everyone you meet. Perhaps once you've decided on resort the google some bars and find out which ones might employ staff - I know however of a bar in Paradiski that had an 'over 25 rule' for staff. You might also want to post a similar question on www.natives.co.uk as there's more skibums / workers that hang out on that site.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46330&start=253 was a thread where I did a wrap up of a season in Paradiski which might be of interest

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=789303&highlight=hello+val+thorens#789303 was a report from a couple of season ago of a guy in Val Thorens.

Make sure you get some insurance and save some money for beer tokens!

Have Fun

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 3-09-09 19:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Val D Isere for sure.
Val Thorens is pretty high and baron, as a result you will have a fair amout of down days due to the weather absolutely ripping making it impossible to ski or even leave your flat.

Val D Isere has a wider variety of terrain, equally good snow and is no more expensive than Val To

what CEM was trying to say there will be way more chicks and social in Val D..

Get in touch with the Favre group out there for work.They have a huge variety of rental/retail shops and always employ UK folk.

Bon Ski
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ross M, didn't want to embarress the young chap Little Angel Little Angel
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice choice to have...

ski-wise, probably not a lot in it...if you are exploring off the beaten track. Apre..? maybe VD would be the clincher if that is your thing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you are looking for work in resort, then it has to be Val D'Isere - many more opportunities, especially since you are only 18.
Which of the two you go for, get to resort a good week before the lifts are due to open with a pile of CVs (in French & English) and try everywhere! And expect a lot of competition. At the start of every season I did in Tignes I met people who had come out looking for work, most of whom where back in the UK after a couple of weeks, when their cash had run out - life in resort is EXPENSIVE, even for basics like food & booze. Last seseason was by far the worst for people coming out & not finding work ("I've been made redundant, so I thought I'd do a season ..." - expect there will be many more like these this season).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Of the two, most definitely Val D'Isere - a real place, with lots going on. But Kenzie has wise words. Paying upfront for an apartment for the season is a big risk unless you have substantial financial resources. If you get out there early you should be able to find something, and maybe team up with someone else looking for accommodation. You have months to work on your French and get LOTS more bar experience. You might also brush up on your washing up and toilet cleaning skills. Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
blas wrote:
Hello, looking for a bit of advice on my first ski season.
Right now i've got the opportunity to book an appartment in either val thorens or val d'isere for the season, result! However im in a bit of a dilemna over which one to go for as i've only ever skied val d'isere for a day, and that was spent in the park, and had no experiance of val thorens.
I'm going to be looking for some bar work or cleaning etc. when i get out there, otherwise i'll be eating snow and mountain grass. As an 18 year old lad with basic french speaking skills and a bit of bar experience does either of them have an advantages for finding work?
Im an experienced skier and prefer off piste and trees and im looking to get into a bit more park this season.
Basically, which one would you go for and why?
Cheers!

VT doesnt have any trees.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers for feedback guys, Val d does sound nice, and handier seeing as i've got kit already out there in Sainte foy. Two mates are already heading for Val T though. Anyone done a season solo and as part of a group? What are your thoughts? Should i go it alone or go with a group?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
blas wrote:
Cheers for feedback guys, Val d does sound nice, and handier seeing as i've got kit already out there in Sainte foy. Two mates are already heading for Val T though. Anyone done a season solo and as part of a group? What are your thoughts? Should i go it alone or go with a group?

At your age go with your buddies..as you're not planning on doing full time work (e.g. to or regular bar work) then you might find it harder to meet people/find riding buddies if you go on your own unless you go for some 'hostel' type accommodation. When you get middle aged (like me when I did my first season) then not sharing a room with snoring drunkards becomes more important.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

not sharing a room with snoring drunkards becomes more important.

bertie bassett, they're not so bad once they're asleep.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy