Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

easyJet: East Midlands to close and Luton to be reduced by 20%

Poster: A snowHead
easyJet has announced this morning that it's to close it's base at East Midlands Airport.
Quote:
Flights to and from East Midlands up to the end of 2009, including the Christmas and New Year period, are wholly unaffected. Passengers do not need to take any further action and their flight will be operated as planned. Passengers travelling after this period will be informed well in advance if and how their travel might be affected.

In addition, flights will be reducing from Luton
Quote:
Airport costs at Luton have risen by 25% over the past three years which makes the base no longer competitive. easyJet has been in protracted negotiation with Abertis, the Spanish operator of Luton and its owner Luton Borough Council, which is understood to receive over half of the airport charges. These negotiations have broken down leaving easyJet no alternative but to reallocate parts of its flying programme.

The press release goes on to say that
Quote:
Currently there are no changes to the operation at Luton. Passengers flying in and out of this airport will be advised if their flights are affected.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bummocks.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm, I wonder with the newly expanded facilities in Bournemouth airport coming on stream if we'll get more EZ flights Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1310342#1310342
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boredsurfing, Boredsurfing, but note Andy Harrison's remarks

Quote:
The rise in APD hits regional airports hardest .....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles,

Quote:

Airport costs at Luton have risen by 25%

- not just APD, but I agree with his comment that

"easyJet regrets the Government’s decision to backtrack on the reform of APD which would have made it an emissions-based tax rather than simply a blunt holiday tax."

And presumably the Government dropped this idea because it was told it would have an effect on transfer passengers.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 3-09-09 12:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They didn't fly to Innsbruck from there anyway, so who cares? NehNeh Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beequin, true. But I have a feeling that regional airports such as Bournemouth are going to be pasted by APD.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I feel for those that have booked flights from EMA at peak times such as half term. That is going to be a big hit to them.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Although Luton Airport is convinient it is a complete rip-off. It costs £1 to be dropped off at the airport, £1 for a trolley, additional costs for speedy passport control (what a joke...)!!!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
1556garyt wrote:
Although Luton Airport is convinient it is a complete rip-off. It costs £1 to be dropped off at the airport, £1 for a trolley, additional costs for speedy passport control (what a joke...)!!!!

We all want the cheapest lead-in price and so they add these extras on. I blame the advent of the internet and email communication which acts as a catalyst for aggressive purchasing habits, lies, deciept, and a lack of morals of a souless faceless society - basically we are FOOKED!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I feel for those that have booked flights from EMA at peak times such as half term. That is going to be a big hit to them.

Taken from EJ's T&C's

Cancellation, Changes of Schedules, etc

10.2. At any time after a reservation has been made we may change our schedules and/or cancel, terminate, divert, postpone or delay any Flight where we reasonably consider this to be justified by circumstances beyond our control or for reasons of safety. If we do so:

I don't think that even EJ could call this "circumstances beyond our control"

Can see a class action here maybe?

Any lawyers out there got a view point
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Morrissey wrote:
We all want the cheapest lead-in price and so they add these extras on. ......

The airlines (whose headline prices are as low as possible, of course) are not responsible for parking and trolley charges
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can't envisage a scenario where I'd use Easyjet to go skiing, but have used them from EMA before for both work and pleasure travel. Bit of a shame, but I daresay the routes will be replaced.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
queen bodecia, really? By whom?
snow report
BMI baby probably, they already dupe up with Easyjet on a lot of the routes from East Mids.
latest report
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8235556.stm
latest report
Quote:

The airline said it would consult on a reduction of the number of flight crews at its bases in Belfast, Bristol, Newcastle and London Stansted
Hmmm, just booked 7 Geneva flights from Newcastle for March.
ski holidays
Wayne wrote:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

Taken from EJ's T&C's

Cancellation, Changes of Schedules, etc

10.2. At any time after a reservation has been made we may change our schedules and/or cancel, terminate, divert, postpone or delay any Flight where we reasonably consider this to be justified by circumstances beyond our control or for reasons of safety. If we do so:

I don't think that even EJ could call this "circumstances beyond our control"

No, but this is covered under their "Carrier's Regulations"
Quote:
3. If your flight is cancelled other than as a result of extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable steps had been taken

You will be entitled to the above. In addition, you may be entitled to compensation in the sum of €250 if your flight is 1500km or less and €400 if your flight is over 1500km (“Compensation”). Please note that if you are offered re-routing under options 1 or 2 above, this sum will be reduced by 50% where your arrival time does not exceed the scheduled arrival time of your booked flight by 2 hours (flights of less than 1500kms) and 3 hours (flights of more than 1500km).

You will not be entitled to Compensation in the following circumstances:

a) If you are informed of the cancellation at least 2 weeks before the scheduled time of departure; or

b) If you are informed of the cancellation between 2 weeks and 7 days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing you to depart no more than 2 hours before the scheduled time of departure and to reach your final destination less than 4 hours after the scheduled time of arrival; or

c) If you are informed of the cancellation less than 7 days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing you to depart no more than 1 hour before the scheduled time of departure and to reach your final destination less than 2 hours after the scheduled time of arrival.

("The above" basically gives a choice of re-routing or refund).

Quote:

Can see a class action here maybe?

Any lawyers out there got a view point

IANAL, but there is no such thing as a "class action" in the UK.

But their T&C are such that no action would be likely to succeed anyhow.
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:

Sorry I'm not a lawyer so can you explain if this is right
They have to offer you a re-route, "or" a refund of the money you paid "and" some compensation
Nothing to do with work, just that I have booked E Mids EJ for me and Ms Wayne for a weekend away in March
Is that right ?

ps. I would rather have a new flight from a different airport if poss
snow conditions
Ryanair are already offering 'rescue fares' to certain destinations http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr=09&month=sep&story=gen-en-030909-2

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 3-09-09 15:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Wayne, Based on my experience with BA a couple of years ago they will give you your money back, or offer to sell you another flight at the up to date rate. Nothing else.
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
BMI baby probably, they already dupe up with Easyjet on a lot of the routes from East Mids.

Has bmi's "frail financial position" improved, then?

Quote:
...increasingly fraught negotiations with Lufthansa, which has been trying to reduce the takeover price due to BMI’s frail financial condition.

IIRC, bmi is heavily unionised, and poorly placed to cope with the recession. Still, it has survived so far.
snow report
I see this as the airlines throwing their weight around and making an example of airports which are squeezing them too hard - Ryanair have done the same thing at Manchester. They all need to reduce aircraft numbers and save staff costs at the moment, so kicking one airport as a way of making the others take note is doubly appealling, as they can blame the redundancies on the airport authorities rather than on their own business management.

Plus neither of them likes to compete head-on for business, so with Ryanair expanding at East Mids, it's not surprising that Easyjet saw it as a good target.
snow report
Wayne wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

Sorry I'm not a lawyer so can you explain if this is right
They have to offer you a re-route, "or" a refund of the money you paid "and" some compensation
Nothing to do with work, just that I have booked E Mids EJ for me and Ms Wayne for a weekend away in March
Is that right ?

ps. I would rather have a new flight from a different airport if poss

They have to offer you a re-route or refund (your choice).

The extra compensation only applies if they don't tell you at least two weeks in advance, and they cannot offer re-routing allowing you to depart no more than 2 hours earlier than originally scheduled and arrive no more than 4 hours after originally scheduled (if less than 1 week notice, those become 1 hour and 2 hours respectively).

So if you are told now (or any time up to 14 days before travel), you get no extra compensation.

But you still get:
Quote:
You will be offered:

1. Re-routing to your final destination at the earliest opportunity; or

2. Re-routing to your final destination at later date at your convenience and subject to availability; or

3. A refund of the fare paid for the journey not made. Additionally, where relevant, we will offer a return flight to the first point of departure at the earliest available time.

In addition, you will be offered free of charge two telephone calls, or telex or fax messages or emails.

Where you choose to be re-routed at the earliest opportunity:

1. You will be provided with meals and refreshments (or vouchers) in a reasonable relation to your waiting time; and

2. If an overnight stay is required because the reasonably expected time of departure is at least the day after the time of departure previously announced, easyJet shall offer you hotel accommodation and transport between the airport and the hotel (within reason).
snow conditions
Red Leon wrote:
Morrissey wrote:
We all want the cheapest lead-in price and so they add these extras on. ......

The airlines (whose headline prices are as low as possible, of course) are not responsible for parking and trolley charges

Yes they are to an extent. EG. Ryanair squeezes the airports so much on costs to drive fares down and maximise profits so airports are forced to create alternative more profitable revenue streams. Just look at Manchester airport - they had the guts to stand up to O'Leary.

ousekjarr wrote:
I see this as the airlines throwing their weight around and making an example of airports which are squeezing them too hard - Ryanair have done the same thing at Manchester. They all need to reduce aircraft numbers and save staff costs at the moment, so kicking one airport as a way of making the others take note is doubly appealling, as they can blame the redundancies on the airport authorities rather than on their own business management.

Spot on.
latest report
alex_heney wrote:

The extra compensation only applies if they don't tell you at least two weeks in advance, and they cannot offer re-routing allowing you to depart no more than 2 hours earlier than originally scheduled and arrive no more than 4 hours after originally scheduled (if less than 1 week notice, those become 1 hour and 2 hours respectively).

So if you are told now (or any time up to 14 days before travel), you get no extra compensation.

But we have paid £120 for 2 night's hotel - non refundable

Do we get that back

Think we gona get ripped off here ain't we Sad
latest report
Most of the hotels I book when we travel allow cancellation up to 24-28 hours before arrival.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Most of the hotels I book when we travel allow cancellation up to 24-28 hours before arrival.

We can't just checked. Can I claim that off EJ - doubt it "very" much
ski holidays
Wayne wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

But we have paid £120 for 2 night's hotel - non refundable

Ouch! Why non-refundable?

Quote:

Do we get that back

Almost certainly not.

Quote:

Think we gona get ripped off here ain't we Sad

Looks like it Sad
ski holidays
There MUST be something you can do. Sorry I know it's only £120 but thats not the point. We had a contract with EJ and they "may" back out and I lose £120. It's not like there are safety concerns, airport closure,etc, etc or any of the normal reasons airlines give from sh1tting on people.

EJ has just decided for whatever reason they don't want to stick to the deal they have with me - and zillions of others.
Many people will lose out.

There MUST be something you can do about it. I know nowt about the law but there HAS to be something
snow report
Wayne, you entered into a contract with them which allows them to do what they want, when they want. If you want a guarantee that the flight will be there when you turn up, you'll have to pay more for the privilege, as the airline will need to charge enough to ensure that they always make a profit on every flight, even if only 10 people ever book onto it. That's one of the reasons why BA et al were always so much more expensive in the old days. Add to that changes in airport charges, taxes, fuel and staff costs and so on, and changes in the financial climate which massively affects demand, and something has to give otherwise the whole airline goes bust.

That's why decent travel insurance is even more essential now than before - if you have to cancel the whole trip because your flight has been cancelled, you may have a way to get back all of your money. It may be annoying that you have 5 elements lined up and paid for in advance and one of them fails and takes out the whole trip, but that's the risk of a DIY trip, which I accept because it won't happen very often. If it all goes wrong, you will be annoyed, but all you can do is find an alternative and cough up the difference.

I wonder if anyone offers travel insurance which guarantees to get you to your destination no matter what happens...
ski holidays
http://www.pprune.org/terms-endearment/387541-easyjet-cutting-flights-jobs.html
latest report
stanton, Shocked Now that's what I call acronym filled jargon...
latest report
Have they actually cancelled any flights yet, or is this just a proposal for some point in the future?
snow conditions
queen bodecia wrote:
Have they actually cancelled any flights yet, or is this just a proposal for some point in the future?

I have just checked my Luto to Geneva flights booked for the end of October and so far they as still showing up on the available bookings.
snow report
ousekjarr,
Just booked another flight for me n Mrs Wayne’s weekend away.
Not good, as I now have 2 sets of flights booked, but what can you do?
EJ have said they “may” be closing the East Mids operation. Some websites say they will still run the winter flights as ski flights make loads of profit other sites quote spokesmen as saying they don’t know. The e mails we have received from EJ blather on, but say nothing of any substance.

Problem is, is that if we (and anyone else with bookings) leave it till they actually do decide, then it will be too late to book anything at a reasonable price.

Bit cynical IMO
snow report
Wayne, it's inevitable - places which had 2 miles of concrete, a cattle shed and a spare field for parking found that the no-frills carriers wanted to use them because they were cheaper than the BAA hubs, so they invested in a second cattle shed and put tarmac on the field, but in order to pay for that they had to put up their fees. Not surprisingly, the carriers don't like that, and have started to think that they should move away.

In 1980, there were about 12 airports in the UK which had scheduled flights to non-UK destinations, with the main ones owned by BAA, who set their own prices. Airlines had to pay what was asked, so they did. Regionals airports operated services to London, plus charter flights for holiday companies.

In 1990, there were 34. This growth was as a direct result of the demand from passengers for flights from regional airports, rather than linking through Heathrow and Gatwick. Charter flights were still the majority of services, but scheduled flights were becoming available.

In June 2009, there were 33, but the balance had changed - large numbers of scheduled flights now operate, and charter flights are much less important to these businesses. Long-haul flights mainly remain the preserve of the big airports - Heathrow, Gatwick, and Prestwick being the most obvious - because they have the space and facilities to handle 747 and A330/340/380 aircraft.

The change since 1990 is entirely down to the growth of carriers like Ryanair and Easyjet, so it is to be expected that these companies are now looking around and wondering whether they can reduce their costs by cutting back on the number of places they fly from - if an airline only operates 3 flights per day from an airport, they still need check-in desks and staff, airside staff, fuelling and maintenance contracts, baggage handling, etc, all of which is less cost-efficient than if they operate 30 flights daily from an airport, so it now makes sense to concentrate on regional hubs rather than flying from every available airport. Their customers don't want this, but that's business. In 5 years time, I can see the number of airports with international scheduled flights being back in the low 20s as a result.
snow conditions
Prestwick does longhaul? Thought it was Glasgow that does longhaul and prestwick is almost exclusively Ruinair? (and redirecteed GLA services when GLA is fogbound - cos Prestwick never is)
ski holidays
ousekjarr wrote:
In 5 years time, I can see the number of airports with international scheduled flights being back in the low 20s as a result.

Which will still leave almost everybody within a couple of hours drive of one, and will probably mean that each one has a greater variety of flights than most of the smaller ones currently do.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy