Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sore Knees?!!! Whats the deal?

Poster: A snowHead
My last trip was 2 weeks in whistler - first time I`ve done a 2 week ski trip. My skiing came on leaps and bounds and by the second week I was attacking the runs the way I always wanted to and getting up some good speed.

And then my knees started to complain. Didn`t affect my skiing, but they were sore for the 2nd week of the trip and took a couple of weeks to get back to normal after the trip.

I`ve been skiing for 10 years and this is the first time its happened to me. Whats the deal? Have I picked up a new bad habbit which is affecting my knees?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
scoob101, what other sports do you do?

This happened to me when I first started running a lot more, another sport which puts a big strain on the knees. I'd say it's your body complaining that it's suddenly being asked to do a lot more!

You'd probably find if you skiied regularly on a dry slope in the months leading up to your holiday, it may be a lot better, as you'd be easing your skiing muscles / joints more gently back into it. Rather than doing nothing for a year, then going and doing it all day every day for 2 weeks.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
scoob101, The harder you ski and the more angulation you achieve means more lateral stresses on your knees as well as deeper flex of the joint, higher pressures and stronger shock loadings. You're just unfit and unprepared and your knees are moaning at you for being nasty to them. While your head's saying "I'm a ski GOD" your knees are screaming "WTF!!!"

edit 4 ' Embarassed

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 2-09-09 21:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
scoob101, age does weary you (and me) and the years condemn. I take Ibuprofen - but what you do is up to you, of course.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
scoob101, PS, learn to Telemark . . . the muscle pain in your butt and thighs will completely mask the crunching in your knees Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

While you're head's saying "I'm a ski GOD" your knees are screaming "WTF!!!"

Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So you've skied longer and harder than usual and as a result you have sore knees. I'm not seeing where the mystery is in all this. Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
scoob101, could you let us know which bits of the knee actually hurt (front/side/below/above)? Did the pain go away when you stopped skiing? Any clicks/clunks? Was it both knees equally? Have you recently got new boots/orthotics?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

While you're head's saying "I'm a ski GOD" your knees are screaming "WTF!!!"

Laughing

Reminds me of a review of the Atmic GS12s "you legs will be screaming in pain from the G force but you will still be screaming for icy gates"
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
scoob101, I used to do lots of running, as well as clambering round oil rigs and by the time I was 30 my knees were basically agony. My brother, who studied sports science and has extensive experience of the inner workings of his left knee, having had a new cruciate ligament surgically made up from bits of his hamstring and meccano, pointed out that these activities were high impact and not very efficient at getting you fit.

I did a few months on a elliptical cross trainer which is zero impact, and managed to tighten all the muscles and ligaments, making a more stable joint. Hey presto, huge improvement. Worked for me, might work for you? If theres a continual problem though, I would definately get a referral as its better to check and find nothing than suffer unnecessarily!

I think that a bit of prep for a few weeks before a week or two skiing/boarding improves the experience, better endurance and better able to bounce, rather than go splat when one (ie, me) falls over in a heap (see user name for details)

Hope that is useful...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I get sore knees, too, more than in previous years, and more if I ski hard, or on hard pistes. But I fear that no amount of cross training would make much difference, because it's not muscles which are the problem, but the joint itself. And can you actually "tighten" ligaments?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

can you actually "tighten" ligaments

No but you can increase muscle tone and bulk around the joint and improve muscular control of staability. Ligaments are really only there as a last resort when the muscles cannot stabilise a joint, so its a good idea to keep the muscles in good nick, and that applies even when the joints are wearing out. Crying or Very sad

Edit** apologies for the sheep speak that seems to be creeping in staabilitystaability**Edit
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you exercise regularly and do a targeted regime for a couple of months before you go the muscles around any joints hold it in allignment and as nature intended it to be. It gives you the best chance of being fit and strong enough to make the most of your hol too. I am certain that the only thing that holds my skiing back now is my fittness. As you get tired you increase the risk of injury. If you are fit and strong you are supple and better able to soak up any accidents than a couch potatoe. Its my opinon but works for me.......
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
scoob101, Another one for targeted exercise. find yourself a quiet and not too steep a hill and walk backwards up it. Works wonders for knee stabilisation rehab and general upper leg fitness.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque, I remember you telling me that, and keep meaning to try it rolling eyes Does it work going backwards upstairs as well?
snow report
Iski wrote:
Masque, I remember you telling me that, and keep meaning to try it rolling eyes Does it work going backwards upstairs as well?

Too extreme to maintain good posture, control and stability in the joints, stick to hills and concentrate on each step. If you ensure that the leading heel is allowed to fully contact the ground before beginning the weight shift you also achieve good Achilles extension (though that's a bit hard at startout).
snow report
Masque, OK, I'm off to find a hill (when it stops raining Toofy Grin )
snow report
Quote:

the muscles around any joints hold it in allignment and as nature intended it to be. It gives you the best chance of being fit and strong enough to make the most of your hol too.

agreed, and for some years that has worked well for me - I have skied a lot, throughout the season. However, and despite all the muscle preparation, my knee joints suffered last year. After a day's hard skiing they were hot, red and swollen, and stayed that way for some time - needed ibuprofen, cold packs, etc. They didn't really hurt at the time (ie out on the slopes) but I learnt to detect a certain tired feeling (much too mild to be described as "pain") which was the warning sign to set off home, and take it easy. They would be sore and stiff in the evenings - swollen, too (eg impossible to squat down to find something in a low cupboard because of the amount of fluid in the joint).

I have reluctantly decided that this is mostly old age, although I shall try some bioskin things (and more prophylactic ibuprofen) this coming season. And longer lunch breaks. wink
latest report
pam w wrote:
and more prophylactic ibuprofen.... And longer lunch breaks. wink

Didn't realise you were French, pam w wink
ski holidays
andyph, if I were French I'd already have been having longer lunch breaks. If I were French I'd probably also go and spend a lot of money on lymphatic drainage creams or something in one of those pharmacies stuffed with expensive remedies for the worried well. Ibuprofen's a lot cheaper, especially you buy it in Tescos, rather than a French pharmacy!
snow report
and pam w, you'd probably have been to Vichy to take the waters Mr. Green -
snow report
scoob101 - have you left the building? Wink

stoatsbrother wrote:
scoob101, could you let us know which bits of the knee actually hurt (front/side/below/above)? Did the pain go away when you stopped skiing? Any clicks/clunks? Was it both knees equally? Have you recently got new boots/orthotics?
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, he hobbled out.
ski holidays
If you were French, you would DEMAND a suppository & complain that the Dr was an imbecile who was trying to poison you if offered tablets. Weirdos!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy