Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short term ski bum

Poster: A snowHead
It's September, so I'm back on SHs.

My usual Christmas / New Year free accommodation in Switzerland is not available this year. The selfish bar steward of an owner is taking his whole family to his place instead. What an outrage!

Anyhow, I still plan to take off from the UK and spend from just before Christmas until after New Year in the Alps. As I won't have a base this year, I was thinking about travelling around a bit. Here's the plan:

Rent car in Geneva

That's as far as I've got.

Suggestions, please, from you excellent people of places to stay which won't cost the earth for, say, 3 nights at a time. I'm 34, male, single (short, v fat, bad breath, no teeth, dreadful personal hygiene - not all of these may be accurate ....). I can stomach roughing it so hostels are fine, but I will need the odd night of respite. Keen on places where there are likely to be a few like-minded folks who are up for some hardish skiing and a few beers. I will have my alpine and touring gear with me (day tours only, I should think).

Verbier and Cham are on my initial list (Cham snow-dependent), but please do suggest other places with cheap short term accom.

Is there a backpackers is La Ros?????

Cheers

Zammo
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are several cheap bunkhouses in cham plus the bunker in Verbier, my advice for Xmas/Newyear is book early.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Short-term ski bum... Puzzled

Isn't that just a skier on holiday... wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi,

This is a great place to stay if you get to Zermatt. wink http://www.hotelbahnhof.com/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski Bum?
zammo wrote:
Rent car in Geneva

You have never lived as a ski bum.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 2-09-09 9:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stanton wrote:
Ski Bum?
zammo wrote:
Rent car in Geneva

You have not ever lived as a ski bum.

Fair shout. Never had the opportunity and I certainly couldn't take it up long term - too many commitments. Just trying to get across that I intend to travel around a bit.

If I leave blighty on 21st December and return on the weekend of 9th / 10th Jan that gives me three weeks.

If you prefer, I could spend a few quid on a knackered old VW campervan ....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
zammo, as you'll have a car why not base yourself in a valley town and sample a number of nearby resorts? Bourg St Maurice might be one option, which puts you within easy distance of Les Arcs, La Plagne, La Rosiere, La Thuile, St Foy, Tignes Val d'Isere, Pralognan, Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens, Valmorel, and several other resorts which are still reachable by car for a day's skiing if you don't mind a longer drive.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, good idea.

I would like to be in Verbier mid way through my trip so that I am fitter than at the beginning but not as knackered as I will be at the end so I might do something like:

3 nights in Cham
4 nights in Bourg
4 nights in Verbier

and then see where the snow is best after that.

Maybe I'd be better driving down rather than flying and renting a car - just looked at car rental costs Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zammo wrote:

3 nights in Cham
4 nights in Bourg
4 nights in Verbier

Hmmm. bsm is south of Cham, then you;d go back past CHam to get to verbier. might want to start in BSM...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You're also complicating matters by going for short stays rather than full weeks as far as booking accommodation goes. What about a week in BSM (skiing in a couple of different resorts), then a week in Verbier?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
zammo, PM haggis_trap to see if he still has his camper van and if so whether he will loan it to you
if you're going to do something you might as well do it properly... Wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, d'you know, I'm almost stupid enough to think that your suggestion is really sensible ....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nbt, good point. I was just thinking that I'm imposing a bit of a bonkers route on myself.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zammo, look at International Hostelling Association hostels, they have one in Cham, we stayed in it for one night, it was pretty nice, nice catered meals but no self-catering kitchen. They have another in La Clusaz and some others in European ski resorts. Even cheaper if you're a member of the Youth Hostelling Association.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not out there until the 16th but we will then be on a road trip as well

Heard car-hire was expensive this year..???? haven't looked into it myself yet.. and will not need to until Mar
latest report
Arno wrote:
zammo, PM haggis_trap to see if he still has his camper van and if so whether he will loan it to you
if you're going to do something you might as well do it properly... Wink

That's what I was going to say. Doug might even join you. He likes short hairy men. Wink
snow conditions
zammo, how about a challenge I've often toyed with...21 resorts in 21 days!
snow report
crazy_skier_jules, IHA's a good idea. I'll look into that (in a sort of old git hangs out with yoof sort of way)

parlor, I guess I really do have to pm the haggis character .... will drop you a pm as well when I know when I'll be in V .... may as well have someone witness me floundering around on the Redeemers.

marcellus, maybe next year, eh?
snow conditions
Quote:

may as well have someone witness me floundering around on the Redeemers.

Laughing
zammo, let me know too this I wanna see. Even if its only to make me feel better. Embarassed
Just ordered a pair today.

parlor, I took your warning not to bring a GS ski anywhere near Verbier seriously. wink
snow report
RPF, good to hear.

zammo, I'll keep you posted but I think there is a change in my future.
snow report
I have space in a flat in Nendaz over that period if people need it, although I will be in Chamonix over Xmas week. PM me if interested.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy