Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club's 'over 60' restriction attracts The Guardian's attention

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Saturday's edition of The Guardian carried this article by Felice Hardy about the Club's 'Ski Freshtracks' holidays, with the following revelation:
Quote:
... the more mature of the club's 27,500 members - those aged over 60 - now find themselves excluded from joining 73 of its 133 week and weekend breaks that have been rebranded this winter under the Ski Freshtracks logo.

Trips to the snow for the over-60s are now largely restricted to Peak Experience, a collection of week-long group holidays designed for the over 50s.

Eagle-eyed Felice goes on to spot this anomaly:
Quote:
One curious exception to this rule is the Haute Route, Europe's most notoriously demanding ski tour, which requires high levels of both fitness and stamina. The club allows older skiers to join this holiday, regardless of age.

----------------------------
Incidentally, this subject was raised by snowHead 'snowball' back in November on this thread if you'd like to see previous comment.
I guess it's a blow to those who are used to the regular programme and are quite speedy ... but then turn 60. Obviously an age threshold of this sort is an arbitrary judgement, and some skiers below 60 could be slower than those above 60.
Is this age cut-off a good idea? Is it a bad idea? Have you been directly affected by this?
Official comment at a recent AGM of the Club revealed that the subject had occupied more discussion time of the Club's Council than any other matter!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 7-02-05 19:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having just come back from an O50s Club holiday, I can confirm that there are some very fit over 60s around - and that there are others less so. On average, I suppose, fitness drops, and allowance has to be made for that. In an ideal world, there could be some fitness measure which could qualify a senior member to ski any holiday - but I can't see how this could be done practically. I've been on 2 over 50s holidays, and enjoyed them - but am somewhat sad that from next year, that will become mandatory. The safari holidays are an exception - perhaps because the need for fitness is obvious, and so the unfit are unlikely to put themselves forward for them.
As a side comment, there were 2 under 50 members with us last week - they enjoyed themselves, and were very welcome.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So, if you're under 50 you're allowed on an over 50s holiday, and if you're over 60 you're only allowed on an over 50s holiday, unless it's the Haute Route - presumably the most strenuous hol on offer.

But what if you're over 50 rather than over 60? Are you only allowed on an 'over 50' holiday, or can you go on an under 50 holiday?

And why the emphasis on 'over 60' in the article? What if you're over 70, or over 80? Are you still allowed on an over 50 holiday, or are you sent to an Alpine nursing home?

We're both over 65 and have recently taken up cross-country poling. It's an ideal way to keep young and frisky, even if you've been condemned as an old cripple by the Club! Why not take it up and show up all those fat middle-aged couch potatoes!

Evo & Pritt
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mr & Mrs Sticks wrote:
But what if you're over 50 rather than over 60? Are you only allowed on an 'over 50' holiday, or can you go on an under 50 holiday?

Yes.

Quote:
What if you're over 70, or over 80? Are you still allowed on an over 50 holiday

I skied with a 71 year old on an O50 holiday.

Quote:
We're both over 65 and have recently taken up cross-country poling. It's an ideal way to keep young and frisky, even if you've been condemned as an old cripple by the Club! Why not take it up and show up all those fat middle-aged couch potatoes!

The best skier in my latest O50 holiday was 62, skied really well, steep an deep all day long. No couch potato.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So, what is the conclusion? Age is irrelevant? Discrimination by age is unfair? Presumably the 62-year-old you refer to, Nick, was far fitter than many 42-year-olds - but the 62-year-old is apparently ineligible to go on a 42-year-old's holiday.

Centralised planning and discrimination on the basis of age (or any other form of discrimination) is bound to end in tears, isn't it? By all means discriminate on the basis of fitness or competence, if a group is to be compatible and successful in achieving its goals, but age? What a crude determinant!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sounds daft to me. If a good enough description of the physical and technical demands are given, people can decide for themselves whether they're up to it. I like skiing in mixed age groups.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith, You are right about the 62-year old. Not polished enough to be a gold skier, but my word he could ski deep, hard and fast all day long. Yup. I am sure he was fitter than many 42 year-olds.
I really do have reservations on the age thing. Not sure what the answer is. If too many of us grey-haired skiers are on a holiday with the younger brigade, who knows? Some might think the Club fuddy-duddy wink
Must admit that as I looked around Farinets after skiing, our group did look a bit on the senior side. Didn't stop me standing on the bar stool to join in with Yellowmike though snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Despite being run by a bunch of old ##### wink I believe the Ski Club to be ageist in other areas as well. I know of a rep who was "downgraded" for no other reason than her age. The lady concerned did a refresher reps course and was amongst the fastest on the slopes and still skis to well above gold (IMO). One of the "professionals" running the course kept on and on with comments like "at your age". I doubt the person involved will ever rep again which I think is a great loss to the club.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SimonN, AFIK there is indeed a retirement age for reps. I'm not happy about it, and am going to write to the Club. Hope other members who feel the same do, too. Ineteresting to see your comment about the council being old. If you are a member take a look here. They don't look that old to me. Those I've spoken to don't talk like old ####, either. Don't agree with what appears to be their policy on reps retiring, though.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been interested in the 'age' related issues with the SCGB for some time and after much reading and listening I can only conjecture that there is/are addenda being prosecuted that have little or anything to do with the club’s income or welfare since they appear to run contrary to both. Why alienate so many people with an arbitrary and blatantly unfair system that has no merit to either side of the debate?
That the subject is causing ferment in the club seems self evident and is now generating negative publicity on a national scale – like that’s going to bring in new members especially those baby boomers retiring a decade early with a respectable disposable income.

There is obviously more going on in the background, presumably at senior level, that is driving this policy, we’ll probably never know what but it would be nice to have a lucid argument from the club on its policy merits, rather than vapid excuses for something that’s not showing much of a public relations triumph.

Somebody want to tell me when to duck Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque - Duck Now Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

"I wouldn't want to belong to any ski club that would have me as a member."
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy