Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalets in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Do such things exist?

Can anyone reccommend one in a decent lively resort with plenty of intermediate stuff?

Been going to Austria for years, but never really heard of chalets existing in the land of the best Apres Ski. I'm open to all suggestions but need to steer my group away from Val d'Isere. Partially because it's too expensive, and secondly because we have beginners with us and Val is useless for "never evers".
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatirishman, There are chalets in Austria (I assume you mean catered chalets) but not as many as in France. St Anton has quite a number (Big TO's, Skiworld, Ski Total, Ski Val etc). Ski Total also have one in Obergurgl and a couple of chalet Hotels in Lech. Neilson have a chalet in Saalbach and Ski world have one in Mayerhofen. Never stayed in any of them so can't recommend them. Try also www.chaletsdirect.com as there are a number of private ones coming up in St Anton.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatirishman wrote:
Do such things exist?

Can anyone reccommend one in a decent lively resort with plenty of intermediate stuff?

Been going to Austria for years, but never really heard of chalets existing in the land of the best Apres Ski. I'm open to all suggestions but need to steer my group away from Val d'Isere. Partially because it's too expensive, and secondly because we have beginners with us and Val is useless for "never evers".

They certainly exist, and are most common in places which meet your requirement of "decent lively resort with plenty of intermediate stuff", such as St Anton or Kitzbuhel.

All the main TOs have some in those resorts (and some others, but not as many). Crystal, for instance, have 4 in St Anton, 1 in Ellmau, 1 in Kaprun, ranging in size from 8 people to 18 people.

As do some of the smaller operators such as Skiworld http://www.skiworld.ltd.uk/ski/holiday/skiing-St-Anton-&-Lech/346
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatirishman, Came accross this Dutch mob whilst researching this years holiday www.skichalets.nl a good bit cheaper than the UK equivelant. Also looked at Hotel Karlshof in Saalbach which seemed pretty good value http://www.hotelkarlshof.at/ Although I've never booked a chalet for St Anton, there does seem to be a lot of options for St Anton on various other websites and probably the most of any Austrian resort
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys.....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.stantonchalets.co.uk/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are plenty of catered chalets in St.Anton. Go to the tourist office website and they have a facility where you can search for what is available and cost. Most of them are run by tour operators and mainly at the Nasserein end of the village

http://www.arlberg.com/index.php?id=3&L=1
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We did one in Alpbach some years ago - one of the big TOs. Inghams, I think. But I wouldn't go to Alpbach again. It's a very pretty village, but everything beyond a limited nursery slope is a bus ride away and the snow record (according to someone in our ski lesson group, who had been going there every year for 10 years Shocked ) is nothing to shout about. I'd said it wasn't too good, but I supposed it was just a bad year and she said it was as good as she'd encountered in all her visits!

We did have a very good instructor - had taught (classroom teaching) in England for 5 years and spoke perfect English. We enjoyed his lessons but the two beginners in our party discharged themselves from ski school after two days. One (young and very athletic and competitive) was powering inexpertly down red runs in a couple of days, the other (his dad) has been pottering around getting nowhere and refusing to take lessons ever since. wink I don't think that was the ski school's fault, though.

It's probably too small a resort, and ski area, for bouncy intermediates.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alex_heney wrote:
All the main TOs have some in those resorts (and some others, but not as many). Crystal, for instance, have 4 in St Anton, 1 in Ellmau, 1 in Kaprun, ranging in size from 8 people to 18 people.

Have Crystal cut back this Winter then? Had 6 chalets in St Anton, 1 in Ellmau, 1 in Zell am See, 2 in Kaprun, 1 in Soll and IIRC one in Kitz Winter just gone...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sitter wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

Have Crystal cut back this Winter then? Had 6 chalets in St Anton, 1 in Ellmau, 1 in Zell am See, 2 in Kaprun, 1 in Soll and IIRC one in Kitz Winter just gone...

There were some bigger ones as well, I didn't count those to ad to the totals.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sitter wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

Certainly have Crystal have reduced the amount of catered chalet beds by around 50-60% this year! yes 50-60% less beds!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boabski wrote:
fatirishman, Came accross this Dutch mob whilst researching this years holiday www.skichalets.nl a good bit cheaper than the UK equivelant. Also looked at Hotel Karlshof in Saalbach which seemed pretty good value http://www.hotelkarlshof.at/ Although I've never booked a chalet for St Anton, there does seem to be a lot of options for St Anton on various other websites and probably the most of any Austrian resort

I'd be surprised if they were cheaper as they use lots of Uk tour ops like Skibeat etc. Do they include flights and transfers - I'm not sure they do in their brochured prices.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Morrissey, Found same chalets on some UK website and they were more expensive to buy from UK operator
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatirishman,

You think Val D'Isere is not suitable for beginners. St Anton is less suitable for never ever beginners than Val D'Isere.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Val D'Isere is OK for beginners provided they are prepared to download in a lift (which is very often the best way for better skiers too with all kinds of people who think they can ski heading home at the end of the day). But it's hardly ideal - the size of the domain is just wasted on them, and it's always going to be a bit of a trek just to get started. For beginners, unless they are very strong and keen, I think it's quite important to have easy slopes very accessible, so they're not exhausted before they begin. But quality of ski school remains the most important single factor - and there are certainly very good ski schools in Val D'Isere.
snow report
There are quite a few of us private operators out here... but you do have to look a little harder...

Can't say that a lot of the places I know are in the thick of the late night Apres zones... but we do exist!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy