Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets again - evidence suggests they work

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
An article in the BMJ reports evicence from Canada of the value of helmets in reducing the severity of head injuries. Interestingly from the East Coast wher there is probably more bullet hard snow on which to hit one's head.

Conclusions Helmets protect skiers and snowboarders against head injuries. We cannot rule out the possibility of an increased risk of neck injury with helmet use, but the estimates on which this assumption is based are imprecise. the commentary so far about this paper runs:

It may be that Hagel et al may be overstating their case a bit. Their discussion states: "Wearing a helmet while skiing or snowboarding may reduce the risk of head injury by 29% to 56%—that is, for every 10 people who wear helmets, three to six may avoid head injuries". Indeed they may, if the incidence of head injuries among non-helmet wearing skiers and snowboarders is 100%. I suspect the real figure is rather lower than that! The absolute reduction in risk is the figure that would influence my decision about wearing a helmet. My guess is that this number will turn out to be small - 29 to 56% of not much. It shouldn't be too hard to reach an estimate of this in terms of injuries per days spent on the snow - the 19 resorts undoubtedly have figures for how many people used their lifts during the season in question.

Competing interests: Non-helmet wearing skier
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy