Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Look Pivot Bindings - Group Buy Deal - Now In Stock

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.rossignol.com/GB/fks-180-xxl_FKS180XXL_product_ski-men-bindings.html

The 14 din version will also be made. Both to have the latest design dual action toepieces. The 18's toe piece is all metal, not sure re the 14's. Available with proper wide brakes as well! Rumour has it that only limited quantites will be made with very few coming to the UK so you'll need to act quickly. Expect prices to be high.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 4-12-09 19:08; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quoted (by a UK dealer) £240 for the DIN 14 model when I asked last week.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am a happy person today.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have some new in box FKS 155s sitting in my attic which I will sell for considerably less than £240 (they do have narrow brakes though)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno, if Rossi choose to sell the brakes on their own, you could be in for a good sale, or you'd have some awesome new bindings. Win win either way.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
buckers, They must have redesigned the turntable base, brakes are not removable on the old ones.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then I fear Arno, you will be stuck with those for a while, what with the ever expanding waistline of skis.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjs wrote:
.......brakes are not removable on the old ones.

Not strictly true as I've removed a few to vice'n'pipe 'em. It's a ba$tard of a job though & you have to bend the locking tabs on the base plate to do it.

The word on TGR is that this new batch have been made from the original tooling so that would mean no redesign so best to order them with the widest brakes.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've bent the arms to fit a 95mm ski and a 114mm ski with no problems. What's the problem?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I followed the link:

http://www.rossignol.com/GB/fks-180-xxl_FKS180XXL_product_ski-men-bindings.html

But there doesn't seem to be any mention of the new FKS anymore. There have been all kinds of rumours flying around at newschoolers however.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
smokeyjack2000, we probably crashed their email with people asking where and when they'd be available. Either that, or this is the most horrible prank in skiing history.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
buckers wrote:
smokeyjack2000, we probably crashed their email with people asking where and when they'd be available. Either that, or this is the most horrible prank in skiing history.

I'm hoping that it was some weird marketing ploy. Look have known for years that many people want this binding brought back. Best way to test the market? Stick it on a website and see how much traffic it gets. The point has been proven, skiers want the turntable. I think we'll see a limited re-release this year and a bigger full come back next year - with a better announcement this time - there was a typo on the original page on the Rossi site.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've been talking to Rossignol today & my plan is to offer a group buy deal to snowHeads. Watch this space.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
buckers wrote:
Then I fear Arno, you will be stuck with those for a while, what with the ever expanding waistline of skis.

Problem solved
http://youtube.com/v/Rk6yIKnLqKc
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
frank4short wrote:
Problem solved
http://youtube.com/v/Rk6yIKnLqKc

frank4short, that ain't a turntable binding which are waaay trickier to bend. Do a search on TGR & you'll see why.
snow report
spyderjon, I await with baited breath. Also, is this confirmation that they will be producing them this year?
latest report
Quote:
spyderjon wrote,

I've been talking to Rossignol today & my plan is to offer a group buy deal to snowHeads. Watch this space.

nice one!

snowHead too <----------- (what the hell is that????)
ski holidays
buckers wrote:
spyderjon, I await with baited breath. Also, is this confirmation that they will be producing them this year?

That I believe is the plan.
ski holidays
fr0sty wrote:
Quote:
spyderjon wrote,

nice one!

snowHead too <----------- (what the hell is that????)

Group Buy Deal = a bunch of you get together & place a bulk order with me for which you'd receive a special price. Payment is required with your order which allows me to get better terms as I can pay on proforma. Pre-selling a proportion of a stock order takes a lot of the risk out of placing such orders (especially on high value items like this) so in return for that & the increased turnover I reduce my margin. It's a win win deal.

However you don't actually have to go & canvass for others to buy with you as I'll effectively do that for you posting a 'Group Buy Rossi Turntable Bindings' thread which will offer the deal based upon the receipt of orders & payment by a cut-off date.

I did this last year for Marker's new Duke/Baron bindings when, IIRC, orders & payment had to be in by the end of Sept for bindings which were shipped mid/end Nov. I pre-sold 11 pairs of specially discounted bindings to snowHeads out of a stock order of 20. I also did a group buy deal on base repair pistols earlier this year.
latest report
You all seem very taken by the turntable bindings can you tell me what their advantage is
And how do they compare to Vist binding and how do their compare to bindings that may come with skis you buy Puzzled Confused
ski holidays
Proposed new FKS18
ski holidays
Glen Charman wrote:
You all seem very taken by the turntable bindings can you tell me what their advantage is
And how do they compare to Vist binding and how do their compare to bindings that may come with skis you buy Puzzled Confused

Glen Charman, the FKS18 turntable bindings were/are revered because:
1. The turntable function of the heelpiece (as opposed to the toe piece) directly under the knee which greatly reduces the leverage applied to the knee during excessive loads. This especially gives very good protection against slower twisting rearward falls which is were a high din user would be vulnerable.
2. The toe piece & pivoting heelpiece has a very large range of travel (AFAIK the widest on the market) so will keep the boot in the binding for longer before pulling the boot back in which allows a lower din to be used.
3. When it does release, it gives a very smooth consistent release, especially for a high din binding.
4. Toe piece had no vertical release which big huckers & jibbers prefer.
5. Full metal bomb proof construction.
6. Relatively light weight for a full metal high din binding.
7. Very compact footprint to heel & toe base plates to minimise affect on the flex on the ski.
8. Because the heel can move in conjunction with the toe of the binding the Pivot design reduces or possibly eliminates inadvertent release due to sheer loads (lateral shock that is neither twist at the toe or heel).
9. The large 'cam locking' phallic heelpiece lever (as used on all Look’s/Rossi’s better models since) made it very easy to step in to in deep snow.
10. They're believed to give the best feel/feedback from the ski of any binding on the market.

The FKS14’s were basically the same but had lighter weight but less durable plastic toe wings (but no less durable than any other similar binding) & a vertical release function in the toe piece.

Problems with the turntable's were/are:
1. Fiddly forward pressure adjustment (problem for the average shop numpty)
2. Not a step-in design & can be fiddly to boot-in. No positive 'click'
3. No vertical release function in the 18 din toe piece (desirable for us mere mortals)
4. Non removable standard width brake arms (well not removable without major surgery)
5. Limited boot length adjustment of 5mm either side of it’s mid-point setting.

It is assumed that production was ceased due to the cost of the heelpiece but other factors such as the belief at the time that all bindings in the future would be rail mounted systems probably didn’t help – there was no large park/big mountain/freeride ski market at the time. Rumour also has it that the original tooling had had it’s day.

Anyways the FKS was dropped & Look/Rossi increased the functionality of the toe piece allowing a conventional heelpiece design to be used under the PX/Axial name which is very similar to that of all other makers. Was there a sudden rise in knee injuries after the turntables were superceded? No, so the jury is still out as to whether they’re actually a safer design but the user’s of them still swear by ‘em for their other features hence their highly inflated secondhand value.

If the turntables are to be re-issued then their original benefits/short comings will remain apart from the fact that the new ones will be available with wide brakes.

How do the turntables compare to the Vist’s (I sell Vist’s so I have to declare my interests here)?:
Vist 412’s, 614’s, 816’s & 1018’s are all all-metal bindings so you can have equal bomb proof construction but at lower din ranges. Vist have a very wide range of interchangeable brake widths. Vist toe piece design is fully functional in all directions but the vertical toe release can be blocked off if you’re a serious hucker/jibber/racer. Vist’s forward pressure adjust is very precise. Vist bindings are approx 250-300g heavier per pair than turntables with equal width brakes. Vist have a very wide range of colour options. Delta angle of the Vist’s is 5mm & AFAIK the new turntable is zero. Vist has 12mm of boot length adjustment either side of it’s mid-point setting. The Vist has a true step-in heel piece which has a good click to it it however it is still easy to raise the lever by hand in deep snow but it's not as easy as the Look/Rossi design.

This list puts the Vist’s way ahead however I’m not sure what the exact range of elastic travel there is on the turntables versus the Vist’s but I’m sure that it will be noticeably greater on the turntable’s. And the Vist’s don’t have a 'turntable' heelpiece. These are the two main features that it’s fans like & crave for & is why I hope to secure a supply of them.

Prices on the new turntables aren’t yet known but they won’t be cheap, considerably dearer than the Vist’s or the other full metal designs from the other makers. The new turntables will certainly be in the niche market category for performance & price.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 7-10-09 22:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
So they'll be status symbol Expect orders from the Spyder crowd. wink
snow conditions
achilles, status symbol my back bottom, without a positive 'click' I have to undo mine by hand and end up tits over back bottom in the snow. rolling eyes Not impressed. I think you need to be a super skier to notice the difference!
latest report
achilles, I love my P14, my old FKS and a long time ago the Look Z9 Forza, great bindings if you get used to the lack of click. The racing versions are bomber and a lot lighter than the other full-metal bindings. I still prefer the chunkiness of the top-end Salomons for racing/piste but they're a heck of a lot heavier than the Looks/Rossis.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 7-09-09 21:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
spyderjon, Thanks for all the info I now know a lot more about binding than I did. next time I need binding I think I'll get Vist binding as I defiantly a mere mortal Sad
snow report
Good sales job spyderjon Very Happy To be fair the Vist bindings do look and feel superb and should be a great choice.
ski holidays
Look were always a problem in deep snow... or more of a problem... IIRC

I thought they were probably more sensitive because of the turntable so DIN settings maybe needed to be more precise..
I'd probably consider them as Binding options along with Visp...but all bindings do the job if configured correctly..

I am not sure anyone turns their nose up at bindings on a ski so much these days... As long as they don't break and release when they are supposed to, then all are much of a muchness to me,...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT wrote:
As long as they don't break and release when they are supposed to

But finding bindings that do this, especially if you ski at speed or in variable conditions and lumpy/hard snow is quite difficult. A number of binding manufacturers have moved away from tried and tested designs of the past in order to cut costs by using cheaper materials. Salomon have almost completely retired their Driver toe range (and you have to go through special channels to get the metal toe/heels) for what looks to be a successor to the Quadrax range. Same with Look and the pivot/TT heel.
snow conditions
Bump.

spyderjon, any word on when these might be hitting the shelves?
latest report
I ski P14s/916s, definitely pleased that I won't have to rely on TGR's horded supply if a turntable dies Smile I disagree with turntables being easier to click into in pow though - with there being no positive click, snow creeps in again under the heel etc. 916s clip in with such a massive "click" it sounds like someone's being shot. Pretty much why I have them on my pow skis and turntables on everything else Smile

I've definitely felt the elasticity of a dodgy save too - I go for turntables on everything else because their release range feels "right".
snow report
buckers, As of a week ago Rossi UK were still waiting for news from the factory but they're on my list to chase on Monday. I've asked for 20 pairs.
snow report
http://www.lookpivot.com/
ski holidays
buckers wrote:
Bump.

spyderjon, any word on when these might be hitting the shelves?

Due end Oct/early Nov
ski holidays
spyderjon, sweet, thank you for the update.
snow report
spyderjon, any idea on how much they are likely to be?
snow conditions
kristof, dunno yet. Will advise soonest.
snow conditions
Will the 18 DIN FKS run 8-18? - Also can anyone give a quick comparison of the 14 DIN vs the 18 DIN (especially construction of toe & heel pieces)?

Cheers.
snow report
Look P14 Wide
Din 5-14
Full Drive Metal/Composite Toe Piece
72mm Wide Teflon AFD
Ramp Angle 0.5
Height 19mm
Brake Width 80/95mm
RRP £239

Look P14 XXL
Din 5-14
Full Drive Metal/Composite Toe Piece
72mm Wide Teflon AFD
Ramp Angle 0.5
Height 19mm
Brake Width 100/115mm
RRP £239

Base plates to upgrade your old Pivot/FKS heels are not available.
ski holidays
Look P18 Wide
Din 8-18
Full Metal Race Toe Piece
72mm Wide Teflon AFD
Ramp Angle 0.0
Height 19mm
Brake Width 80/95mm
RRP £289

Look P18 XXL
Din 8-18
Full Metal Race Toe Piece
72mm Wide Teflon AFD
Ramp Angle 0.0
Height 19mm
Brake Width 100/115mm
RRP £289

Base plates to upgrade your old Pivot/FKS heels are not available.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy