Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Body armour for skiers?

Poster: A snowHead
Do skiers who stick to the piste and ski only red/blue runs use back protection such as those made by Dianese. My skiing is getting faster and more aggressive and wondering if this is a good option or for snowboarders only. Also, if they are for skiers what's better the back protectors, or the full jacket that protects the shoulders and elbows or can it be too restrictive. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Paul.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cyberil, the only piste skiers I know who regularly use back protection are ones that do race training. In some cases wearing back protection is required by the trainers.

I know a couple of boarders who wear protection full time, but they're into hucking themselves off stuff.

But that's not to say that you shouldn't wear body protection. Do what makes you feel comfortable and happy.

I say this as someone who started wearing a helmet in Europe about 3-4 years before it was considered "acceptable" for recreational skiers to wear them. I took a fair amount of stick for wearing a helmet - and now every single person who took the pee now wears a helmet.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FlyingStantoni wrote:
Do what makes you feel comfortable and happy.

QFT
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
People I've skied with who use protection fall into two categories: those who habitually ski fast off piste and those with a back injury of some kind. While I don't ski fast, I have a forcefield back protector which comes out when conditions merit it: mainly when I'm worried I may fall over rocks. I wouldn't bother with one for skiing pistes unless I was carrying some form of injury that made it a sensible idea but FlyingStantoni makes a pretty good point re uptake of helmets.

Regarding what is good, I would look at the impact testing done by motorcycle magazines. Unlike skiing this kind of stuff is standard for biking and there is a lot more understanding out there of what makes a good product. Similarly it is good to understand where/how the protection available exceeds current European guidelines on this kind of kit.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wear a back protector skiing & snowboading (not so much tele) since I smashed my shouler blade mountain biking a few years ago. Don't generally notice it in use although does become a bit uncomfortable with a fully loaded pack. Only really been glad of it once when I went over a rock band on my back and shreaded my jacket but no personal damage.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
[b]fatbob[\b] - I've just remembered that the only skier I know that wears one full time is a telemarker.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers! I've now saved at least £160-00

Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cyberil, or £40 in foam

http://www.mcmaster.com/#polyurethane-foam/=3fg6pn
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Do skiers who stick to the piste and ski only red/blue runs use back protection such as those made by Dianese. My skiing is getting faster and more aggressive

sounds like it might be the rest of us who need the armour. People skiing fast and aggressively on blue runs are a PITA. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
my kids have "taken" to the jump parks and but I have decided to put them both into back protectors as a result of their new found not so honed skills
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have been wearing a back protector for a few years now, no doubt its helped me out a few times, I currently have a Sweet Protection Grinder, super strong, well fitting and very light Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OK I've made my decision that I will wear a minimum of a back protector and a helmet. This is based on the fact that I am self employed. So if I suffer some fracture due to mine or someone else's mistakes I cannot afford to be out of work for long.

I saw some cool protectors Ski Bartlett were selling
http://www.skibartlett.com/slytech-2nd-skin-soft-back-protector-1194-p.asp
Anyone used these or are Dainese better?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cyberil, where are you planning to ski? The park, off piste, just piste? There are a few people on here that will testify that I enjoy some very very hard and high speed crashes (30'+ cliff drops, mach loony skiing etc). I've tried all sorts of body armour. Here's my 0.02$

Helmet. Always. I have a full face helmet for days that I know I'm going to be charging and a normal lid for other days.

Impact Shorts. Always. I started wearing them 10+ years ago snowboarding and find them very comfortable so now I always ski in them. From the damage that I find on my ski pants / plastic sections I am pleased I wear them.

Full torso armour. Never. I bought one and found it very uncomfortable, sweaty & strappy. I felt very restricted in this. Sold it and got a back only.

Back. Sometimes. You have to wear them for some comps. I've given up wearing this full time now as I always ski with a pretty big back pack that probably offers as much if not more protection. Back pro + back pack = complete pain. I've tried three in total, the best by far, is a Dainese with the holes unless you enjoy the feeling of sweat trickling down your butt crack.

If you are sticking to piste forget it, complete over kill. Off piste - the back pack will do, if you have a back problem get the Deuter or Ortovox packs that have built in protection.

If you plan to ski LOTS of park then get a back protector.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cyberil, I use the Dianese stuff, from a bike shop. To be fair, mostly for race training but a couple of Instructor friends wear theirs when free skiing too. When free sking to tend to ski with a pack (compete with shovel on the outside), so I'm not so worried about back protection at the moment.

I reckon the biggest risk of serious injury when skiing is through a collision, so body armour is probably a good investment.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
parlor, have you tried anything with the pro built into the coat?
snow conditions
comprex, no. I think I would suffer badly. In average -10C I've probably only got a shell and a long sleeve merino layer. I sweat like the proverbial.

Without coming across as a ?, I can see why protection might be good for older people who *might* heal slower - I know I'm healing slower at just 32, next month.

My injuries tend to be from twists, impacts I can cope with. IMO most protection is good for impacts and even with the crashes I have it tends to be only minor bruising - soft snow is soft. From time-to-time I have accidents and even good impact protection doesn't help. RungSP was lucky enough to see a fresh gauge (broken skin, blood & bruising) that a shark fin put in my lower back / hip area last year, nothing would have helped to protect that.

A friend of mine was DH biking, flipped the handle bars and ended up losing a kidney courtesy of a tree stump. Right between the sections of his NFL Linebackers outfit. Almost died and now boasts a 'zipper' scar from his collar bone to 15cm past his belly button, and only 1 kidney.

I smashed my lower arm to pieces as a kid wearing 'wrist guards' in the '80s at Southsea Skate Park trying to do a hand plant just like Stacy Peralta. I can't understand why people with 'normal' reactions would wear them snowboarding.

Anecdotal of course. This is of course the same argument used by the 'anti-helmet' brigade, and I'm a firm believer in helmets it's just my experience, and I've had a few injuries too.

Protection = gay & overrated.
ski holidays
cyberil, I have a Slytech, it really is as comfortable as it 'says on the tin'. Have not tried any others to compare.

I bought it from the perspective of
Quote:

I can see why protection might be good for older people who *might* heal slower
latest report
I'm 24 and wear a back protector pretty much all the time when sliding round. pretty handy for stopping the icy sections (i usually fall on) from breaking bones etc.

I have the vest type from dainese, its warm and vented to stop my backpack making me sweat silly ammounts. Basically if it's comfy and warm and might just save your back why not wear it.
snow conditions
dulcamara, but how does it stop you breaking bone? And are you skiing?
snow report
I bought it because I got kicked back out of a turn onto ice and broke three ribs and bruised my lung = coughing up far more blood than is healthy.

Since buying it no problems even though i still ski on my tails and still backslap far too regularly. I really think it has helped a lot with the crashes.
ski holidays
dulcamara, you are young and you will learn.
latest report
cyberil, huuby bought a Slytech back protecttor to wear in April. As he broke his neck in January, he didn't want to risk another injury. It's very light.
snow conditions
parlor wrote:
dulcamara, you are young and you will learn.

hopefully before the knees give out.
snow report
cheers for the vote of confidence comprex dont worry tho i've started my acl protecting ham string exercizes and got myself a pair of girly freeride boots with shock absorbers. If im lucky i may just make it to 30...

That said this may all be in vain if Freds sons GS skis have their way with me.
latest report
Im always wearing shorts, just for the sake of it, you forget you have them on. If im going through the back/side soor ill put my back protector on for back slapping cliff drops. Otherwise i wouldnt worry too much. As already mentioned its a bit excessive for the piste. Unless you are rubbsh and expect to have collisions..? Puzzled
snow report
you mean stealth shorts??

I really never understood how they protected skiers? My brother has a pair for slalom to stop "rapid gate" but as far as falling goes I dont see how they protect you. Surely if you fall sideways your not gonna fall far or hard? I always felt it was more benificial to protect my back....
snow report
I have a pair of shorts I used in the fridge after finding out the joys of a straddle and flip whilst going through the gates, however I'd never used them anywhere else. I wish I had now.

A couple of years ago I was coming out of Stairway, in Verbier, on a looooong traverse. Cover was a bit thin, and none existant on some of the ridges you passed over.

On one of these ridges I got a little air, but landed on a big, wide, flat, sloping rock on the other side. Skis just went out from under me and I landed on the side of my leg. At first I thought I'd broken it 'cos it hurt like hell, but I just ended up with a massive dead leg. I could only really ski on one leg afterwards. I was glad this was the last day, but I missed a couple of nice pitches the others went on to do. I keep meaning to pack them on trips now, but I still don't.
latest report
Mosha Marc, I bought my impact shorts after seeing you do that NehNeh Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dulcamara wrote:
you mean stealth shorts??

I really never understood how they protected skiers? My brother has a pair for slalom to stop "rapid gate" but as far as falling goes I dont see how they protect you. Surely if you fall sideways your not gonna fall far or hard? I always felt it was more benificial to protect my back....

Seriously? In terms of skiing, 'the hip check' is easily my best move. I might post a photo of my impact shorts, they're the Dianese ones with the hard plastic on the outside, they look like they've been run over by a truck, six or seven times. Easily the best piece of protective equipment on the market.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy