Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Parking motorhome in St Anton

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I know I'm mad, but last year I went to Val d'Isere & Tignes in my motorhome, parking in Car Parks approved for overnight. Yes I froze my nuts off at 3am when my gas ran out one morning. Sad
This coming season I plan to try St Anton; anybody know of anywhere in St Anton where you can park a motorhome? I am aware of Arlberg Camping in Pettneu, but would prefer to be nearer.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have no idea but will be interested in the replies

I assume resorts whereby access to the local pool etc gives a better option for ablutions ? Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sahsah, Just interested in whether that is actually cost effective - from what I can see you can pick up accommodation for around the £600-800 mark in most resorts added to which clearly you have to add costs of getting there. Does it cost a lot to get your motorhome there - ferries, diesel tolls - how much do you think you save by having a bash at it?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rayscoops, Ablutions no problem, it has a shower etc.
Megamum, I haven't done a price comparison, not my issue, I'm more concerned about having accommodation where the snow is over xmas/new yr 2 weeks, without advanced booking.
Last yr in Val d', I went for 8 days skiing, of which 4 days with guest; reckon I spent £600-£700 on diesel, ferries, tolls, gas etc. So cheap it isn't. If I book a site in advance, which I don't want to do just in case snow is elsewhere, add 15 to 20 Euro/day site fee. One week 1 to 2 people, same price I guess. 2 or more weeks 2 or more people, save bit. Season skiing chasing the fresh snow around Europe, save a bundle!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sahsah, I see thanks. Well I guess there is an advantage to being able to chase the snow Very Happy and from the sounds of it you possibly don't need a bone fide camp site, just somewhere that is legal to stop - hope it works out Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There is not anywhere in St Anton. It is also illegal to park on the streets overnight. However, I do know of one Hotel that has allowed a Motorhome to park & hook up outside but that was Bode Miller's rig!!

Like you say there is one in Pettneu and there is also some sites in Klostertal (sonnenkopf)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have been toying with the idea of converting a VW Transporter van into a small camper for such similar jaunts in winter and summer, so it is an interesting topic for me at the moment
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rayscoops wrote:
I have been toying with the idea of converting a VW Transporter van into a small camper for such similar jaunts in winter and summer, so it is an interesting topic for me at the moment

Rayscoop im over in neath and have converted a lwb master.if there is anything i can help you out with let me know. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Flow - cheers for that, I might drop you a line some time. Just a thought at the moment because I need to get the cash together first but I have become a 'van' watcher. I know there are Aztec on the Enterprise Zone and Celtic Campers out west but I may try a DIY myself. It seems there are lots of kits on the internet.

Actually what would you suggest as a basic budget, nothing fancy just bed, windows, sink and a few cupboards etc but no cooking facilties except for a microwave maybe?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There is a caravan / motorhome park of some sort between St Anton and Langen - have seen it from the train when coming in from Zurich.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ulmerhutte wrote:
There is a caravan / motorhome park of some sort between St Anton and Langen - have seen it from the train when coming in from Zurich.

Its further down valley in Klostertal (between Langen & Bludenz)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I parked a motorhome in Pettneu for a couple of weeks about 5 years ago. Not a bad place to stay and the bus service to StAnton was very good although it stopped fairly early (about 20.00?) as I recall. You'd need to rely on taxis if you wanted to enjoy the nightlife.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
saw this site the otherday - relatively new (so not that much content yet) but struck me a good idea for all motorhome/ski related thingees..

http://www.motorhomeski.com/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Know some people who towed a caravan from the UK to St Anton. After a couple of very cold nights they booked into a B&B. Said they would never do it again as it was too much hassle for practically no cost benifit.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB, a caravan would be a struggle, but a VW van is quite economical to drive anyway and adds the flexibility of touring a few resorts with out having to book up in advance or hire a car out there. The cold would not be an issue for me (did the caravaner have heating?) but I would not begrudge booking in to some B&B if I wanted a few days of creature comfort.
snow conditions
rayscoops,it all depends on standards you want but firstly you will have to insulate your van floor,walls and ceiling using something like kingspan 25mm up,sinks and cupboards are cheap(sink£30 upwards)windows are expensive,you want a double glazed window which cost anything from £200-£400 each(seitz is the manufacturer)fridges(all depends on size)are i think £250ish.there are cheaper ways of doing it,it just all depends on what standard you want.if there's anything i can help with let me know.
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
DB, a caravan would be a struggle, but a VW van is quite economical to drive anyway and adds the flexibility of touring a few resorts with out having to book up in advance or hire a car out there. The cold would not be an issue for me (did the caravaner have heating?) but I would not begrudge booking in to some B&B if I wanted a few days of creature comfort.

No the caravan didn't have heating and the cold / lack of prepared breakfast and parking hassles got through to them in the end.

For touring multiple sites I can see the advantage of the VW Camper although you will probably be tied to a campsite (assuming here that a VW camper van doesn't have toilet, shower & clothes washing facilities). Sometimes the caravan site is a long way from the ski resort and there's additional parking / traveling costs along with the travel time from campsite to resort. The VW Camper would make it easier to travel between campsites/resorts, enables washing of clothes (at the campsite) and allows you to take more gear though.

Can't help thinking with the camper there would be a few nights of waking up in ski boots and frozen sweat after a night out on the Apres ski. Laughing
snow report
DB wrote:
Can't help thinking with the camper there would be a few nights of waking up in ski boots and frozen sweat after a night out on the Apres ski. Laughing

nah .... my snowboard boots would not freeze - nice and soft too Very Happy

edit - Jan and Feb would be a bit cold, but March and April would be fine and a drive to L2A or some other glacier for summer boarding and mountain biking would be fun Very Happy
snow report
I think in a well insulated van this could be quite fun, but for the freedom, not the low cost. There are central motorhome parking lots in some resorts, including Les Saisies and there are always loads of vans in there. It's quite comical driving past after a big snowfall, when they're all on the roof of their vans, shovelling the snow off. Big coach built efforts though, very few VWs. Facilities depend on what you pay, from nothing (= no facilities) to quite a bit (= hook up, washing facilities etc).

rayscoops, if you are thinking of having a microwave, you'd need an electric hookup I guess. A little gas cooker could be more flexible (but watch out for the gas safety requirements). A separate domestic battery can save heartache. As a bare minimum you could get an electric kettle which plugs into the cigar lighter. Could make hot drinks, Cup a Soups and Pot Noodles. Shocked My son in law just fitted a fridge into their VW camper - he got it for next to nothing from someone who was upgrading their van. It took him quite a bit of fiddling, including drilling some holes for gas drainage etc. But he's very pleased with the result. Runs off the engine when they're under way - that's fairly essential as you can't have the gas on then.
ski holidays
Last year I drove my camper to Courcheval and parked in a free designated camper area.

I have a wood burning stove but I barely used it. I preferred instead to stay out until bedtime and then go straight to bed. I have a very warm but tatty army sleeping bag.

The bad:

- I wasn't at all cold when asleep but getting up in the mornings wasn't easy! What's needed is a button by the bed to turn the heating on. Fiddling with the stove wasn't worth it. Better heating is needed

- woke up the first morning to find my drinking water frozen

- digging out the wheels was a chore. You'll need transport to the slopes, parking is not usually an option

- didn't really feel like cooking because of all the effort. Eating out properly is very expensive at 15 euros or more and I found French fast food is terrible... so I couldn't really snack on the go (can't just buy a bag of seeds or fruit so easily... instead anything convenient is junk food; pizza and hotdogs)

The Good:

- I wouldn't have been able to go otherwise. I just told my insurance, checked breakdown cover and went. I get a lot of time off unexpectedly... so I can't often book my time off. The campervan is very convenient. The drive is a lot easier because you just drive... and when tired, you just stop and sleep.

- I did save money. I think I spent about 350 euros on everything including hire and lift passes... whereas everything else was booked up, or £1000's

- fridge not required!

...but I only went for a week in the end because I felt lonely on my own all day. Again, I had the time off but no one else had the time off so I had to go on my own.

I'd do it again but only if I ever find someone to install this diesel fuel heater... and I'd still probably want to book into a hostel every few days.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy