Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap accomodation

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondering for future trip what are the cheapest types of accomodation in the large French resorts for a student going alone. Is it in an auberge, UCPA, youth hostel or anything else?

thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd suggest UCPA - cos they do some good deals, they include lessons and they do seem to have a good international crew.

Not that I've been myself, just what I've read on here or observed on the slopes.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Christopher, Almost undoubtedly the UCPA, although the Youth Hostels are also good value. UCPA is an all-in price, bed, food, equipment, lessons, entertainment. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A self-catering apartment is cheap if you have a few friends to go with. The resort website may have something cheaper than the package companies are offering. Of course you may not want to cook and eating out would put the cost up.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers for the replies. I dont paritcularly want lessons thrown in. I reckon I'll get hold of the UCPA. Do you know how flexable they are? do they do accomodation for less than a week?

At the moment I want to do two seperate 2 weeks (i.e. a months skiing spread out over 2 holidays) in my gap year.

I want to stick to France due to being able to speak the language to an extent that I can get by. One of the two weeks I want to spend in the Tarentiase, but not sure whether to stick to one resort or get a flavour of Les Arcs, Espace Killy and Trois Valley.

The other two weeks I reckon I want to spend in Serre Chevalier, just because I love it.

Bare in mind Im only an intermediate, with aspirations of off piste. I'd love to go to Chamonix and Verbier but would prefer to go there when I become a better skiier.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There is a UCPA in Les Arcs in a good ski in/out location. From there you can ski Les Arcs and La Plagne, and it would be fairly easy to get the funicular down to Bourg St Maurice then take a bus up to Espace Killy for a day trip.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Christopher, Verbier is not in France, just thought I'd mention that, as you did say you wanted to stick to France. French is spoken in Verbier, much like all the other French speaking parts of Switzerland,
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowbunny, I'm well aware of that.

rob@rar, Thanks for that. There is a strong possibility I'll do that tbh. Not too fussed about skiing La Plagne tbh.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Christopher, Worth doing a day in La Plagne, just for a change of scene if nothing else. Get a Les Arcs pass with a one day extension for La Plagne and you'll be set. If you do get up to Espace Killy take your Les rcs pass just in case you get a discount on day tickets - I've got a very good discount when buying day tickets for Tignes (although that was with a season pass from Paradiski).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Bare in mind Im only an intermediate, with aspirations of off piste.

I think if you go to UCPA in Chamonix - and maybe some of the others too - you could get some qualified tuition off piste, which would be a good way of starting.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Christopher wrote:
Cheers for the replies. I dont partcularly want lessons thrown in. I reckon I'll get hold of the UCPA. Do you know how flexable they are? do they do accomodation for less than a week?

Don't rule out the UCPA lessons - it's not just "put the downhill ski on first" - I've seen some of their groups being given lessons on jumps etc in the park. Check out www.action-outdoors.co.uk who I think act as a UK booking agent for UCPA

I believe however they are orientated to the week to week market - if you're looking for more flexibility then some hostel type accommodation may be a cheap solution. For les arcs then check out www.chaletarc.co.uk or for espace killy then check out www.chaletchardons.com

Make sure you factor in the costs of the lift pass if you're diying - it's in the region of 200 to 250 euro per week for either resort, depending on the options taken and exact duration.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Christopher, Serre Chevalier prices are here http://www.serre-chevalier.com/Winter-2009-10-prices .
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
oh, and get yourself an ISIC card if you don't have a student card yet, ,you will get a discount.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Don't rule out the UCPA lessons - it's not just "put the downhill ski on first"

my daughter and SiL are both pretty useful skiers - both got a good few years under their belt (she started at 4 years old and he is very athletic and a PE teacher, and done about 7 - 8 years skiing). They both enjoyed the UCPA lessons and if you were going on your own they'd be a particularly good bet, for getting to know a group of people as well as learning more skiing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Don't rule out the UCPA lessons

Their groups have always been the ones tearing up the piste in pretty cool style whereever I have been e.g. Serre Che. Too rich for my blood, but they all looked like they were having a blast.
ski holidays
Cheers for that tip about lessons, I'll bare that in mind. Do they normally contract ESF for their lessons or do they offer their own lessons?

Helen Beaumont, I'll check out that International student card out thanks.
latest report
Cheers for that tip about lessons, I'll bare that in mind. Do they normally contract ESF for their lessons or do they offer their own lessons?

Helen Beaumont, I'll check out that International student card out thanks.
latest report
Christopher, UCPA in Les Arcs, and I assume elsewhere, seem to use their own team of instructors.
snow report
Christopher

Quote:

not sure whether to stick to one resort or get a flavour of Les Arcs, Espace Killy and Trois Valley.

Arrived back from Val Thorens yesterday - noticed there's a big UCPA building more or less piste-side as you drive up to the resort.
ski holidays
mountainaddict, Cheers, I think I read that it is their HQ for the Alps. Hope you had a lovely time, I'm a big fan of the Alps in the summer aswell. If I earn enough money over the coming year, Im thinking of heading out for a week in the summer of walking and mountain biking.

I'm more attracted to Les Arcs and Val d'Isere than I am to the Trois Valley. But if possible, I'm thinking of perhaps a day or two in Meribel or Courchevel on the bus or train from Les Arcs and Bourg St. Maurice.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy