Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family Friendly Resort

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Looking to take my 3 year old son and his grand-parents skiing this season. I would welcome any suggestions for a resort that offers something for my Son, the 'older ones' and a little fun for me too.

Thanks

Steve
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kartman, do the "older ones" Evil or Very Mad ski? Board? Knit? We need a bit more to go on. wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes thanks Pam.

We all ski. I took the parents a few years back before my son was born to La Tania. It was a good holiday but La Tania was not great for my parents, they spent most of their time in Courchevelle, although I think staying there would be exspensive.

My parents have one weeks experience and it will be the first time for my son. I'd like the resort to meet their requirements first and mine a very distant second.

Thanks

Steve
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
First and foremost I would choose a resort with a good ski school. Les Gets might fit the bill - they seem to have a good range of terrain and facilities for kids, a nice village for the adults to enjoy and a good Brit-run ski school. Lots of family friendly tour operators go there as well.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
maybe finding somewhere with extra-good tuition would be important for them - though your son is pretty young to learn to ski. Yes, Courchevel 1850 is pretty expensive and one-week skiers are not likely to do it justice (though it does have fantastic nursery/easy slopes and some good ski schools).

When are you aiming to go - and what style of accommodation? When you have to stay in at night because of a 3 year old, a catered chalet can be good - in-built company, though there's nothing to stop them going out for a quiet drink after dinner. There are some good ones in Courchevel 1650 which is cheaper than 1850.

If your parents are looking for more sophisticated surroundings and beautiful and generally fairly gentle skiing, how about Megeve? Not sure about tuition there though (unless you went to Simon Butler skiing - see http://www.simonbutlerskiing.co.uk/da/24868

they won't take 3 year olds though - you're more in "ski kindergarten territory" really. Few 3 year olds can cope with a structured two hour lesson. There are exceptions, obviously, but if you wanted proper lessons for your boy you might need to go private.

If your top priority is a good holiday for your folks, what would be their own priorities - good tuition, lots of nice easy slopes, good choice of restaurants, skiing close at hand?

Les Gets has quite a lot to offer - and good (though expensive) tuition in small groups from BASS - though I don't think they take kids as young as 3 either.

My suggestions are all French because that's what I know about - not to say there aren't suitable resorts in other countries. From what I've heard Lech/Oberlech would be fantastic - I've always fancied going there but it was always out of my price range and now I have an apartment in France, so that's where I go.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sorry - got interrupted half way through that post, so duplicated what rob@rar said.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
and good (though expensive) tuition in small groups from BASS - though I don't think they take kids as young as 3 either.

I don't think many of the Brit-run ski schools take kids as young as 3, mainly because of the need to have ski kindergarten facilities. I was thinking of BASS for the grandparents, with the youngster in the ski kindergarten provided by ESF or similar.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My 3 year old grandson is coming out to holiday with us in France at Christmas. He was 3 in June, so will be 3.5. I think his big sister will give it a good go (she'll be just turned 6) but his Dad reckons that young Edward will be desperate to have a go, and having had a go, will decide that he doesn't specially want another go. He might be right. We will have a private instructor (who we know, and who is super with little kids) for a couple of sessions and see how it goes. Having had Edward out in a boat last weekend I'm not expecting the earth. If he has fun for the week, and survives, that'll do me. I think he'll enjoy all the other messing around in the snow.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How come no-one's mentione La Ros yet? Is it on some blacklist? Little Angel
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another vote for Les Gets, which would tick most boxes. There are some very good catered chalets within easy reach of the centre, slopes, lifts etc., and it's a nice village with easy access to shops and cafes etc. Samoens or Morillon may also be good, with a ski kindergarten at the top of the Grand Massif Express lift, where your son could spend some time whilst you ski and you can get back to him easily. Lovely place, and not a party town, but with charm and character.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Axsman wrote:
How come no-one's mentione La Ros yet? Is it on some blacklist? Little Angel

Where?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boredsurfing, same place as always, at 1850 metres in the Haute Tarentaise, opposite to Les Arcs on the sunny side of the valley.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David L, When looked at from my balcony in Montalbert, La Ros looks to the left of Les Arcs. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David L, Boredsurfing, Is it any good for families? can you recommend anywhere to stay? Little Angel
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Axsman, Yep, www.mountainheaven.co.uk Toofy Grin

http://www.mountainheaven.co.uk/resorts/france/la-rosiere/overview.aspx
snow report
Boredsurfing, "The village of La Rosière is a well-kept French secret...", er well it's not THAT well kept on SnowHeads at least Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Axsman, if I'm really pushed I'm happy to recommend any of my son's chalets, go to www.morealps.com for details and our friends at www.amountainchalet.com are very welcoming. There's lots of info on www.larosiere.net where you'll find details of ski schools, creches etc. La Rosiere is Ski Espirit's most popular resort so it's well set up for for families, it has the Petit Montgnard award in recognition of its family friendliness.
snow report
kartman, for the last umpteen years we have been to Vallandry with kids and grand-parents. Kids are nearly 9 and 7.

For us it has been the ideal resort as is quiter than larger resorts, has easy access to whole Les Arcs domain, has a creche which was used when kids were younger and has 2 private ski schools who have taken the kids for lessons from 4 upwards. New Geberation and Darentasia

Also has a roped off sledging area ideal for a change of pace.

For nervous and/or new skiers there is a wide shallowbowl at the top of the Vallandry lift, served by a little chair, which is ideal to practice on. Return to village either by long green or down on chair.

Being a satellite village it is also cheaper.

Downside is there is little to do for non-skiers
snow conditions
Second Boris, super place for early starters and developing intermediates plus lots of walks for the non skier. The ski bus will take you up to the National park and the walks through there are stunning.
ski holidays
Another (hugely biased) shout for Les Gets. BASS may be offering something for 3 yr olds this winter as the guys from BASS Morzine are taking over the operation in LG and they have previously had an offering for the youngest skiers - worth checking though.

For the older skiers Les Gets Snowsports is another Brit run option that gets good feedback: http://www.skischool.co.uk/
snow conditions
Yep! Les Gets is definitely a good call, took both my boys there from aged 3 onwards (often with Grandparents in tow) and they loved it - the little train round the village (free) was a big hit with young and old! Used BASS and can't praise them highly enough. We've also been to Flims in Switzerland, again with young kids and Grandparents. Stayed at the Hotel Cresta (great indoor/ outdoor pool) and they allowed Sunday to Sunday bookings which kept the flight costs down. Flew scheduled from London to Zurich and took a private taxi transfer which was only an hour or so. Great ski school - they do fun in the snow for aged 3 upwards and excellent English speaking instructors. Lots of other things to do in the resort and many a happy hour spent at the top of the lifts watching the stunts in the board park! Flims Laax Falera is a hidden gem, might not stay that way if I go on about it too much! Good luck and hope you all have fun Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy