Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which is biggest Hemel or MK

Poster: A snowHead
MK?

I have been told categorically that Milton Keynes indoor ski slope is bigger than Hemel's.

Anyone care to substantiate that?

(I thought Hemel was higher steeper or wider? )

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 25-08-09 13:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hemel is the smallest in the UK according to Wikipedia.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
...Or you could just look the their own official websites easily found with old friend Mr google.

Hemel
http://www.thesnowcentre.com/
“…you’ll find a huge 160m main slope…”

MK
http://www.snozoneuk.com/html/milton-keynes/whats-inside/snow-slope/
"The 170m long main slope…”

...So if you judge size by length wink then Hemel is smaller.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IIRC, the one in Scotland (Brayhead?) is the longest in the UK.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen bodecia, I think you're probably right, the one at Braehead is 200m.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This is a nice very modern one at Bispingen (Northern Germany). ONly 300M long but 23500sq metres and 100M wide.

http://www.snowpark-bispingen.de/cms/1/13500/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
apparently hemel is steeper
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stanton wrote:
This is a nice very modern one at Bispingen (Northern Germany). ONly 300M long but 23500sq metres and 100M wide.

That looks pretty impressive. Unfortunately, from what I can see, the website lacks one of those 'I'm-an-English-bigot-and-refuse-to-speak-in-anything-other-than-my-native-tongue' buttons....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The slope lengths feel about the same at both.

Hemel has much more usable space on the main slope because of the lack of pillars

IMHO
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Braehead doesn't have pillars in the middle of the slope, so it's better than Milton Keynes. But in my experience Hemel's better than both because of the quality of the snow.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
what about the difference in snow?

my neighbour works at hemel putting the jumps together for their freestyle nights he said snow quality pi**es on MK, I haven't been to hemel yet (only 10 mins away Embarassed ) but it's gotta be better than MK!!!

opinions?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I agree with your neighbour dlawless. The quality of the snow at Hemel has been consistently good. Remarkably good, in fact, given the level of traffic after the Hemel race club on Monday evenings.

Time will tell, of course, if they can keep up the quality.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We did an office outing to Hemel last week and everyone who had skied MK commented that the Hemel snow was significantly better (also lots of positive comments about kit, changing area & bar).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IMO Hemel is also very chilled out, (ha-ha! pardon the pun!).

MK seems very consumer-oriented, rather than a relaxed off-season practice location.

Cheers!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Did seem very laid back. When we were there I was chatting to a couple of old gals who looked well into their 80s; they loved popping in for a cuppa to watch people enjoying themselves on the snow. Beats the entertainment on offer in high street branches of Costa!
snow report
Quote:

stanton wrote:

That looks pretty impressive. Unfortunately, from what I can see, the website lacks one of those 'I'm-an-English-bigot-and-refuse-to-speak-in-anything-other-than-my-native-tongue' buttons....

There's a home page for the Snow Dome Bispingen http://www.snow-dome.de/en/index.php that has an English button in the top right hand corner. It seems that the "Snowpark" site tells you all about what events are happening there.
snow report
SaraJ wrote:
Quote:

stanton wrote:

There's a home page for the Snow Dome Bispingen http://www.snow-dome.de/en/index.php that has an English button in the top right hand corner. It seems that the "Snowpark" site tells you all about what events are happening there.

That looks awesome (dude!?). When can we have one?
ski holidays
what Snoasis could have been Confused
ski holidays
What about lovely castleford.....
ski holidays
But don't forget you can also go in the AirKix wind tunnel and AirSphere at MK and make it a great day out!

Also a new AirKix and Chill Factore soon coming to Trafford Quays in Manchester...

http://www.air-sphere.com/

Very Happy
ski holidays
On the original question MK is longer and wider.

But as said the quality of snow at HH is another level.
latest report
The received wisdom is that HH is a wide as the two halves of MK together if you trim out the pylon width of that central divide. MK clearly has a longer run; in the recent races at the two venues the top boys were taking about 1.5 seconds longer to get down MK on the faster courses. The snow at MK is horrible; when the top layer scrapes off it forms really heavy sugary piles that really drag at your skis...and going through it requires a powder/crud style of skiing rather than piste-mode. HH is so much more pleasant in just about every respect. Would just have been nicer with another 20-30 metres in length.
snow report
Masque wrote:
what Snoasis could have been Confused

Does that mean that the Snoasis project has been given the thumbs-down? I thought it was still in planning.

(Snowasis was the complex planned for the Ipswich area - correct?)
ski holidays
fr0sty wrote:
(Snowasis was the complex planned for the Ipswich area - correct?)

Yes, that's correct. I've heard rumours that there are money issues, which would hardly be surprising in the current economic climate.
snow report
Sad B*gger!

I thought it looked too good to be true.
snow report
fr0sty, I'm not giving up all hope, but equally I'm not holding my breath either...
snow conditions
MK is longer than Hemel. Pretty certain that Braehead is not either 200m long or the longest in the UK I understand that Xscape market the "length" of their slopes by adding the main and beginner slopes together. From memory I think CFe is longest at 180m, Castleford and Braehead are 175m.

I think Snoasis is such an ambitious and risky project that it would probably only be able to get off the ground during boom times.
snow report
I quite like the pillars, makes a small slope more interesting if there's something to "avoid" Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy