Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me choose a Chamonix restaurant

Poster: A snowHead
I'm there over the Bank Holiday weekend and am turning my mind to dinner on Saturday night. Want somewhere nice but not super-posh so that rules out the Albert 1ere main restaurant. Been to Maison Carrier but that is maybe a bit too cosy for the summer?

I'll find it hard not to go to super-secret restaurant PQS but maybe that's one for Sunday.

What's Atmosphere like?

Or the Bistro in Le Morgane? (That's probably my leading contender right now)

any other recommendations? We're staying in town so somewhere we can walk to is essential. I have no intention of being sober enough to drive at the end of it Cool
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had two very good meals in Atmosphere in April. Reasonably priced as well, with very friendly service.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We went to Le Bistro(t) with under_a_new_name recently and had an absolutely fab meal. I really couldn't see why you'd go elsewhere...

...except that I did notice that their lunch menu - plat du jour and dessert (from the menu) - at 18 euros is staggeringly good value.

Which makes me wonder whether Le Bistrot for lunch followed by somewhere else be appropriate Toofy Grin

wangan, welcome to snowHeads
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you. I admit to lurking for a few months and have learned much from the forum. Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Last time I ate in Atmosphere it was v.good, but that was a few years back now. Munchies comes highly recommended for a bit of fusion, but not been personally.
(Assume you're looking for something a bit further up the scale than the mighty Midnight Express...!?).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
offpisteskiing, midnight express schmidnight express - i'm a belouga man myself

others i am now wondering whether to do the Bistro one night and Atmosphere the other night

we'll be out walking so while long lunches are always nice, they probably won't be on the cards this time round
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went to Atmosphere last April too - thought the food was good, the service was excellent and overall decent value for money.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In Chamonix-Le Praz the Eden serves very good food (modern French) in a pleasant room with large windows and not too pricey.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno, I'm with FSi. Le Bistrot is one of the best restaurants we know - anywhere. Albert 1ere quality (head chef Mickey ex-Al.1ere)- smiley happy service - great wines...unbeatable value for money. Michelin Rosette - a very fine restaurant at a very normal price.

PQS does not over impress us - I hear that this is because it gained its reputation a few years ago with another former Albert 1ere chef in the kitchen but he has since headed elsewhere and so it's now a little less exceptional.

Atmosphere is OK too.

For that sort of (local) menu though I'd suggest that La Bergerie (down from Chambre 9) is better.

Munchies is very, very good and makes a great change from the ham/cheese/potatoes/own-grilled beef with a ham/cheese/potato garnish and a side order of ham/cheese/potatoes thing. The Teryaki duck is awesome. You would probably need to book.

But the Bistrot knocks them all into a cocked hat. This week's menu here if you haven't already found it http://www.lebistrotchamonix.com/carte.php

I think I'd be starting with, "le porcelet : cuit en basse température puis laqué, salade de chou croquant et moutarde "savora""
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
shame if PQS isn't what it used to be... i liked because it was very reasonably priced for the level of cooking (when I first went there) and laid off the cheese/ham etc
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name, le porcelet sold it to me! Le Bistrot it is
Better go for a long walk on Saturday Cool
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, mighty fine. I would book as well, just in case, town is full of folks this week.

2 other thoughts, for aperos; I'd have a cheeky bottle of something in ChaChaCha first - or a cocktail in the Morgane's bar. Both massively more civilised than most Chamonix venues...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, done. am pleased with myself because the whole conversation was conducted in French
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno wrote:
under a new name, done. am pleased with myself because the whole conversation was conducted in French

As was I when I booked in French.

Only to realise that I'd booked for the wrong day and I couldn't undo that in French.

"I thought you were doing very well last time" came the reply Skullie
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno, we'll expect a full trip/menu report...
ski holidays
Ohh I am salivating just reading the menu Cool
ski holidays
Which is the one that overhangs the river at the back - it's a belter.
snow report
Arno, well done.

Frosty the Snowman, a cracker isn't it?

Mosha Marc, you are referring to probably Atmosphere although Casa Valeria also backs onto the river. Atmosphere is very good, no mistake, but the Bistrot is better. In fairness, I should confess that my trips to Atmosphere have included eating the Pierrade, which isn't really a good metric. I was never disappointed.

But I've never walked out of the Bistrot without at least one course being mind blowingly good.

The Atmosphere menu, meat dishes - all good, respectable ideas.

The Bistrot just takes the menu to a higher and finer level. Add into the mix a selection of (free) amuses-bouches and entre-actes and you get a full on experience that is far above the mere good. Choice is more limited but it would be difficult to achieve the level of quality and offer more of a selection.

ArnoI am of course deeply worried now that I've talked it way up that you just find it not to your taste...

Last tip, the sommelier is very good - although the wine list doesn't have much below €25 - if you give him your price range he will make excellent choices.
latest report
under a new name, the menu looks very much to my taste so it'll all be down to the execution...

offpisteskiing, be careful what you wish for!
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
under a new name, the menu looks very much to my taste so it'll all be down to the execution...

Shocked That's a bit severe isn't it. Just don't tip them if you don't like the food!
snow report
under a new name, It was Atmosphere then. I thought it was great, never got to Bistrot though.
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
[
offpisteskiing, be careful what you wish for!

No kidding, on my first trip to La Bouitte in St Marcel (2 Michelin stars?) with "soon-to-be-Mrs-offpisteskiing" a few years back I did actually take photos of each course...
ski holidays
My favourite restaurant in the valley is a bit out of town - a 10 min drive to the village of Servoz, well worth the drive, both their €15 lunch 'menu' and their evening meals are highly highly nighly recommended - la Gorge de la Diosaz http://www.hoteldesgorges.com/english/home.htm and if walking is you're thing, this is just opposite, spectacular http://www.gorgesdeladiosaz.com/uk/default.asp have a great trip Very Happy
snow conditions
JulesSki, that looks very good
snow conditions
I've been meaning to try that place in Servoz for years, thanks for the reminder.

Le Bistrot is a really good choice. The only favourite of mine that's missing is Le Sarpe in Les Bois which is also very nice. Oh and the Eden of course.

Le sarpe doesn't have a site but I reviewed it here:
http://www.les-praz-de-chamonix.com/eating-drinking/le-sarpe/

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 28-08-09 17:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
i think i should extend my stay to a full week Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
JulesSki, yeah, heard about that place. Looks very good.

Arno, Good luck for tonight...I'm nervous.

We celebrated my birthday and our 2nd wedding anniversaty in Munchie last night. Mighty fine. Exceedingly good langoustine, excellent beef spring rolls, surprisingly good chick pea things to start (we were 4 of us). Teriyaki duck excellent as usual, Korean sea food hot pot and spiced chicken thighs very delicious too.
snow report
under a new name, very enjoyable evening at Le Bistrot. I guess the only thing I did not like was the lighting which made it feel a bit like you were being interrogated. Really enjoyed the food and thanks to the very large (esp for a posh restaurant like this) portions and Mrs Arno's appetite not being up to the job I ended up having something akin to the tasting menu but with 4 of the courses being full size Cool

walked all that off the following day hopefully

also bumped into Lizzy Hawker today who seemed to be walking remarkably freely given that she had completed the Ultramarathon du Mont Blanc thingy, coming second. didn't know whether to congratulate or commiserate!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, Highlight being?

On lighting, you should have seen it before the renov. I think that the expectation is that you want to see the food and presentation. I think...

We saw the stragglers coming up to Flegere Sunday afternoon. On Friday as they all set off, I thoughy, oooh, I quite fancy doing that. Watching the latter ones on Sunday afternoon, hmmm, maybe not!
ski holidays
the porcelet was pretty good, as was mrs A's tournedos main
snow conditions
We go to Munchies over le Bistro. Have been to latter pre and post refurb. The wine is horrendously over-priced and the lighting is bright - very Italian "I turn up the lights so you can admire my food". Not happy that they let little dogs in there with their owners either. Difficult to fully appreciate good food and expensive wine with a damp panting dog at the table next to you.

Don't get me wrong though, the food is very good. Eden is also great if you want a more romantic setting. Atmosphere overrated and Sarpe good but can be difficult to get a booking. Petite Kitchen best for quality, value and informality.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy