Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car hire prices

Poster: A snowHead
The car hire is for a skiing trip so don't whinge at the placement Very Happy Just looked at some car hire for next seasoon and I reckon that prices have gone up by at least ONE THIRD and for smaller models by twice that Shocked Shocked

Anyone got any cheap deals that they know of out of GVA?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman, I think I read somewhere recently that there's a shortage of hire cars in Europe at the moment? Bizarre.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
beanie1, Yes, it was in the Times (or the Sunday Times) a week or two ago.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I used auto-europe.co.uk recently (not for France) and their prices seemed to be very good.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, There is an old linky below and it worked for me out of Geneva earlier this year- swiss side for all inclusive winterisation of car. Give it a go and let me know if it still works.

Up the Boro!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=28468
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
www.opodo.co.uk ahve been cheap for me in the past.

It's often amusing if you go back to the same place a few times and use different car companies it often ends up being the same one giving you the car at the other end.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I completely agree with you Frosty the Snowman - Christmas and New Year car hire normally costs us £350 for 2 weeks and has cost us £500 this year.

This thread might be worth a look - although prices might have gone up by now.

northantsred, I can confirm that that link is still working. I booked something for November on it last week.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HI All.
Okay, I don't have an affiliation to any car company. I do use hertz in Norway personally.

One thing to think about with car hire is the TOTAL cost. Some say £30/day with a £1000 excess (dangerous when in the snow) but for only £10/day we will wavier that. So the real cost is £40. Others have it at £40 all inclusive. IE tha same.

Now here is a neat trick. get excess protection insurance I get mine from questor but check all the other recomendations on moneysavingexpert.com forums. THat way for £54/year I get insurance for the £1000 excess. Happy

I can therefore, simply coose the "cheap" and say "no I dont need your expensive dailly insurance" (how they really make their money) Happy

Also handy in the uk if you go to a company who choose a cheap base (so they look cheaper and come first on the comparison sites) but a high excess.

Cheers
Bob
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, don't know if this snippet has reached other parts yet but Budget Germany has just closed down completely. It was in the local paper yesterday. That is one car hire company less operating out of Munich Airport and maybe indicates why the costs may rise a lot more before this recession is over. We may see other companies rationalize this year and reduce choice quite considerably.

Sue wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I completely agree with you glasgowcyclops - car excess insurance pays for itself after just 5 or 6 days of use.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
glasgowcyclops, That is what we did. Paid about €100 to Hertz for the privalige last March. Got excess cover for the year for myself and Mrs RH for €20 less. Off tomorrow to GVA for a couple of days!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Samerberg Sue, just got back from Geneva: The Budget desks etc were deserted with a sign saying "please go to Avis"
Have Budget folded, or retrenched severely?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We encountered issues with summer car rental this year in Spain - ended up paying £400 for 4 days rental of a Golf. There has been a shortage of hire cars, particularly small ones. Not sure how this will affect the winter season but I guess it's looking like it will in some way.

D
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rungsp, from the Avis website:

Quote:
Avis Budget Group, Inc.
Avis Budget Group operates two of the most recognized brands in the global vehicle rental industry through Avis and Budget. Avis is a leading rental car supplier to the premium commercial and leisure segments of the travel industry and Budget is a leading rental car supplier to the price-conscious segments of the industry

Looks to me like they're consolidating to reduce costs, which is no great surprise.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We take out an annual excess insurance which is not exorbitant - and were able to put two names on it, so my husband and daughter share the policy, and the cost - she probably hires a car more often than we do and is able to benefit from it.
latest report
rungsp, No idea, I just read a report about Budget in Germany. It said nothing about any other countries but I suspect that ousekjarr has a plausible reason for it being the demise of the whole Budget operation. I notice that in a recession they are closing the brand for the price-concious rather than the more expensive end? All I can see is the effect being a smaller pool of suppliers, which in turn will lead to higher prices, if not collusion in that area (if it does not already happen!)

Sue
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, There is a shortage of cars for all the car hire companies as the car manufactures have changed the way that they supply them, additionally the majors such as Avis are no longer giving the consolidators (Holiday Auto's etc) the low rates they once did, as they have realised that this dilutes their revenue. You will also see some of the smaller cars (group A) disappear as they are hard to get hold of, this is one of the few sectors in the car industry were there is demand.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy