Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tv Programme

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Just to say our TV programme is on tomorrow it was filmed last October here in Austria and the UK. We were filmed skiing on the Kaprun glacier and skiing in the snow dome at Castleford - I don't know what they will show because we don't get to see it before it is broadcast.

It is on ITV1 tomorrow Tuesday 25th at 10.30 am the programme is called ' No place like Home'- we will probably look silly -I can't remembered what I said at all!!
Embarassed

Hope you enjoy it.

Nigel
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
djfletcher, will definitely have a look at that. I think you're brave, going on the telly. I was on a religious programme once - I was about 13 and my school put me forward because the producers had asked for some gobby schoolchildren who were willing to challenge and debate the speakers representing the church. I remember nothing.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
djfletcher, sounds interesting, will try to watch it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll be in work then, but if it is on their catch up service, I'll watch it online later.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
djfletcher, what's it about?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
djfletcher, I think you're brave, going on the telly. .

I don't know how brave until we see the program!! Embarassed Embarassed

Quote:
djfletcher, what's it about?

Its a programme where they show your life in Austria ( in our case) and then take you for a week in the UK to see if you want to go back- you then have to make a choice at the end of the programme.

We are still here in Austria ( it was filmed last October!!!) so we are still accepting bookings.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hope it's on catch up matey. I ll be out at glentress then.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
djfletcher, Can you stick it on youtube as I have to work! Sounds like I need a life in Austria wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like it will probably be on ITV Catch up http://www.itv.com/ITVPlayer/Programmes/default.html?ViewType=1&Filter=1220
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can ITV catch up be watched overseas? I'm guessing not Crying or Very sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have set my sky plus!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just off out for a bike ride. I have set my phone alarm to get me back home in time to watch Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beanie1 wrote:
Can ITV catch up be watched overseas? I'm guessing not Crying or Very sad

Yes it can if you use firefox then download this add:-

http://chris.orr.me.uk/caughtup

Then go to this page

http://www.itv.com/ITVPlayer/Programmes/default.html?ViewType=1&Filter=1220

click on the little TV bottom right ( after you have installed the add-on) and you should be able to watch it.

Hop that helps.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1,
you need a UK VPN or Proxy, (VPN usually faster and more reliable but a tiny bit more expensive) . . . Though if you have a friend in the UK with a permanently on 'puter (server) and a fast bb connection you can go in via them for free.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've set my sky plus for it.

i was on despatches last year about food wastage of all things! Embarassed never again!! although the location fee they paid me for filming in my house was quite nice. Laughing
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
beanie1,
you need a UK VPN or Proxy, (VPN usually faster and more reliable but a tiny bit more expensive) . . . Though if you have a friend in the UK with a permanently on 'puter (server) and a fast bb connection you can go in via them for free.

Yes I am watching it live through foxyproxy ( I can also watch iplayer with that aswell)

getting very nervous now!!! only 15 mins to go!!!!

-I think I need a drink Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
Will have to wait until I'm back on my own PC, my boyfriend's Mac has Safari.
snow conditions
half way through and no mention of snowHeads as yet!
ski holidays
Ahhh... NIGEL!!!

Why didn't you let us know sooner...?? Only just checked SH's - stumbled on the thread and now have missed you in glorious 46" Bravia!! We get ITV as well!...
Anyhoo.. have to catch up later!

See ya!
snow conditions
Huh,so you now live in the U.K?
snow report
I switched it on and was like, hmmmm i wonder if they're snowheads, only to come on here and see yes you are!
snow report
djfletcher, Interesting programme, thanks for the heads up.

Are you still intending to come back to the UK?
snow conditions
Only watched the first 30 seconds on the ITV player. Nigel looks a bit dim but Deborah's hot stuff! Overdoes the make-up a bit though Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Just watched it online. Seems like it's all been a tough decision to make, I don't envy you that one mate.
I'm looking at going the other way, UK to elsewhere - preferably the Mountains somewhere. NA or Canada could be an option I suppose.

I don't know why you were so nervous, it was good to watch.

Cheers!
snow report
Shocked Shocked but understandable. Dales social life is rather good. Very best of luck.
ski holidays
austria or wet yorkshire Puzzled

it wouldn't be a tough decision for me but I am a father of 3 so understand your situation. Ultimately your kids come first and watching the programme from an education point of view I think the UK can offer more to children of your kids age but as for life experience I think Austria has much more to offer than Yorkshire.
Socially i don't think theres a massive difference in it apart from the history you have in the UK and the friends you made over the years. I don't know your full story but from what i saw you just need to get out more and then things will fall into place and new friends will be made. It's like anything the more you put into it the more you get back.

you all came across very well and the kids look like they enjoy the Austrian life and all it gives them, I think the main worry was your wife's work load. Advertise on here for free help and in return offer skiing 5 days a week and job done! i'm sure you'll get lots of responses rolling eyes he he
snow report
djfletcher, I like the fact that Nigel was wearing a ski jacket for almost the whole film! Toofy Grin

In all seriousness, I admire your bravery djfletcher - it must be extremely difficult to discuss and make decisions on your future with the cameras on you.

I'd be fascinated to know what happened next...

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 25-08-09 15:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
dlawless, no where is better than North Yorkshire....and I actually mean that. Skiing is great, but none of my family would swap it for the friends and fun we have here.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
djfletcher, Editing? made it appear that the missus has the bristle end of the loo-brush and has more of the family workload. It's down to you guys to balance that. Could it be that you love the freedom Austria has given you and she's just tired of the workload? Other than the proximity of old friends and family I couldn't see any reason to return to the UK.

Great kids BTW and a cute sprog . . . always that quiet Shocked

Good luck, whatever the outcome . . . maybe snowHead should buy you chalet. wink
snow report
djfletcher, In case it wasn't obvious my post above was meant to be a joke and referred to the advert that precedes the programme on line. I didn't really think you looked dim and I don't really have the hots for your missus - honest! Embarassed snowHead
ski holidays
Huh. We see more of our UK friends now we're here than we ever did in the UK because we all make the effort with the greater distance - it's too easy to take people for granted when they're on your doorstep. Must say I felt some of the friends came across as wanting you to return for their sakes, not yours - again maybe attributable to the editing. Can only echo the comments above about your courage about taking it onto telly, but it looked like a useful process to crystallise your thoughts. None of it would have been reason for us to return to the UK - but then wild horses wouldn't drag us back come what may. Which is a bit different from your situation. Good luck with it all!
latest report
Interesting programme. I have to admit that I felt Debs had the rough end - she has the bulk of the boring work in the guest house (DIY isn't so boring because it stays done, unlike cleaning toilets) and had presumably had 12-14 months of pregnancy/nursing when the programme was made (gorgeous baby, though!). Whereas Nigel likes to spend the mornings skiing and the afternoons composing music?

Or was that a misprepresentation.

Personally, I'd have told him that if we're to stay in Austria the guest house work and child care gets split right down the middle, and I would get out more and learn to speak fluent German.

Being cruel, I wondered whether Nigel had the drive to become a successful musician - living in the middle of the Yorkshire Dales (stunning as it is) is hardly Where It's At, is it?

Muehlbach looks beautiful and you all came over as a lovely family, I thought.
snow conditions
Damn! Just spotted this thread - missed it. Sorry. Sad
ski holidays
I'm interested to know whether you felt the programme gave a fair picture of how things are and how you felt at the time? I know of a couple who went on location, location, location and they very much felt as if the editing was done to over dramatise matters.

Seemed your poor wife had the rough end of the deal and you very much had a nice life of composing and skiing??!!!

Why are you still out in Austria in the end? Did you change your mind or have you had problems relocating?
ski holidays
It certainly made good tele!

And don't worry Nigel.... you looked beautiful (I would have lent you one of my branded ski jackets though if I knew it would be in shot as much!)

I can't say I agree with 100% of the points put accross but I gues it is up to the editor!
ski holidays
Hi,

Thanks for all your kind comments. I think the programme was done well it was not as bad as we feared. Just remember they did not use a lot that they filmed. Don't believe everything on TV especially after been involved with a programme. They have a story to tell and so obviously just use the clips to tell 'that' story!!

Here are a few answers to the questions

quote="Flow"]Huh,so you now live in the U.K?[/quote]

No not yet our house is up for sale but property can take a long time to sell in Austria so I think we will be here this winter and we are still taking bookings!!

Quote:
Are you still intending to come back to the UK?

We were definitely sure but now we are not!!! - like everything there are advantages and disadvantages!!

Quote:
don't know your full story but from what i saw you just need to get out more and then things will fall into place and new friends will be made. It's like anything the more you put into it the more you get back.

That is not always the case the culture here is very different to the UK people tend to do things with families so it is very hard to break into this . Our friends here are all 'outsiders' - one is German,another is Greek, another is from Vienna, another is an American married to an Austrian- all speak fluently German but have found it hard to make friends. But it is a village so it is probably similar to the UK in that respect. Speaking the language does help and I admit my German is not that great although Debs is better then mine, it is still hard.

Quote:
djfletcher, Editing? made it appear that the missus has the bristle end of the loo-brush and has more of the family workload. It's down to you guys to balance that. Could it be that you love the freedom Austria has given you and she's just tired of the workload? Other than the proximity of old friends and family I couldn't see any reason to return to the UK.

Yes that was the editing - we would not be able to do the change over on a Saturday if we did not work together as it is we only just get both apartments ready on time. During the week the child care is split and we both have our jobs to do. Unfortunately I don't just ski all morning and compose all afternoon although I would love to!! I ski about 2 to 3 times a week as does Debs but she does not like skiing by herself. On Sunday we take it in turns to take the boys skiing.

The problem for Debs is not have anything to tax her mind, as a teacher she did lots of creative things whereas I have my music here.

I hope that has answered your questions but overall I thought the programme showed us in a good light and represented our situation quite truthfully. They spent a lot of time on my music which was good- more than I thought they would but any publicity is good publicity as they say!!!

Nigel
ski holidays
djfletcher wrote:
That is not always the case the culture here is very different to the UK people tend to do things with families so it is very hard to break into this . Our friends here are all 'outsiders' - one is German,another is Greek, another is from Vienna, another is an American married to an Austrian- all speak fluently German but have found it hard to make friends. But it is a village so it is probably similar to the UK in that respect.

Well that's the case for many expats everywhere. In London I started having closer British friends (ie beyond going to the pub) only based on specific interests (er...skiing, but also writing). Other than that, locals already have their friend circles, and it's hard to get close to them. Now in Brussels I've been almost back to square one.
snow report
I don't think the expat thing is quite the same everywhere (having been an expat in quite a few places). Some cultures are far less likely to invite you into their homes than others. We know of friends of friends who have been renovating a house in France - they invited all their neighbours to the housewarming. They all came and everyone had a spiffing time, and is friendly enough in everyday encounters, but they've never been invited back. The husband is English (though he speaks very good French) and the wife is French. But she comes from a different region of France and she might as well be Chinese.

When we were expats in Barbados we had close friends who swore when we left they were never going to bother with expats again as they kept leaving. You can see their point. But after leaving we did go on two boating holidays with them in Europe, so we kept up.

Mountain communities are particular insular I suspect - a French friend in Les Saisies, who has lived there for years, told me he still feels an outsider because he is not from that region and - worse - has an Indonesian wife. He feels he has little in common with many of his local neighbours, most of whom (he suspects) vote far right. He comes from the very north of France but he did say the locals were equally as suspicious of folk who come from the neighbouring valley. He is very active locally, was a local councillor, organised things for the kids (he's a teacher and I met him when I did a French course with him) so he was hardly failing to join in.

In the Solomon Islands or PNG in the old days anyone from a different valley could legitimately be eaten. Maybe things are still a bit like that!

If I was moving permanently to the Alps I'd go somewhere like Chamonix which is full of expats. In our place we have some very close Belgian/French friends (they have been to visit us in the UK, and we've visited them in Belgium) and there are several French families we will invite for an apero, and be invited back. Limited more than anything by my inadequate (and the OH's almost non-existent) French. But the secret there is that EVERYONE in the apartments is away from home so we're not trying to break in to an established community. That makes life a lot easier.
snow report
Not going to make any comment on you or your desicions, but recorded the program and have just watched it. Quite enjoyed it, thanks for the heads up!

The best of luck in all you do!
ski holidays
I've watched it too. Good programme - they didn't make you both look like complete plonkers so well done! (Usually, they seem to edit it so if there is any plonker footage at all, it will be shown Laughing ). I just found it hilarious that the last shot was of the Union Jack and you saying you're definitely coming back. Then I read this and it's, "Yes, we're taking bookings for next winter"! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Telly, eh? Can't believe a word they say rolling eyes Laughing . Oh, and good luck!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy