Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should there be a problem with daughter having a week out of Uni for skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
When we booked our ski holiday for next year we didn't give too much thought to this as were not sure whether our daughter really wanted to go to Uni or not. Well she is definitely going. What I would like to know is, is this a real no no or is it not too much of a problem. Have looked at the University site and it would seem that leave is only given in the case of an emergency. Sad Help!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 24-08-09 16:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skiing and getting a tan is more important than education.

Get her to ring in sick for a week.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm, first reaction is to say your daughter should take responsibility for herself; it should be her decision to take a week off, not yours to "pull" her out.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do universities keep close track of students these days? When I did my course, I don't think they'd have noticed if someone disappeared for a week. They certainly didn't notice the number of lectures I missed.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd have thought it rare that most universities monitor attendance that closely. Presumably Oxbridge still require exeats and the like.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
She probably won't be missing anything if its in her first year which doesn't even count towards her degree, just make sure its not in exam time.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Christina1, ARE YOU INSANE Shocked Shocked Shocked

Do you want to spend your few fleeting hours of restful apres worrying about protecting her virtue from some lothario instructor . . . no let her get up to mischief on her own.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque, I know - trouble is we've already paid for flight!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob, they never seemed to be that keen on checking attendances - but missing a tutorial made you look a twit... and if she is in a subject with practicals

Christina1, University is - I think - a bit different from school. She is partly there to get away from family and develop separately from you guys and make new friends - and the Uni holidays are long enough. I'd say no.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Christina1, if she wants to go, go! First year at Uni is a bit of a joke for most subjects. she can easily catch up on work...get her to ask her mates in advance for copies of lecture notes etc. Mind you from what I understand it these days they publish the lecture notes online so she wont have a problem Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Christina1, as a courtesy to her personal tutor (if her uni provides students with one) i would suggest she mentions the family holiday at the start of the academic year. that way, she's done her bit and given her tutor a heads up about her absence.

i think most uni's will be more tolerant given advanced notice of absence in these circumstances, and appreciate the responsibility of a new student who wants to actually manage her time there from the word go. your daughter should ask if she'll be missing any important exams/tests/practicals that will contribute to her first year marks (which do actually contribute to her final marks.)

i was a mature student and only graduated from uni 2 years ago, and from the discussions i had with my tutor, the only absences that won't be tolerated are the consistently missed tutorials and practicals.

also, bear in mind that your daughter's uni will consider her an adult and someone who has to deal with the consequences of her decisions. your decision to "take her out of uni" doesn't mean squat in this case. sorry.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As I understand it (from having one of my children go through the experience), one of the main advantages of going to uni is learning to manage your own time/workload/life. Therefore the management of the decision and consequences should be handed over to your daughter.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Christina1, her call, not yours.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If she needs pulling she does not like sking!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bizarre question to ask...

Pete Horn et al have got it right - it's not your call, it's hers. And it's a call she won't be able to make until she's started uni and found out how pressured the course is. If she's studying Advanced Neuroscience at a place with 8 week terms then missing a whole week is going to lead to someone getting accidentally lobotomised later in life, whereas if she's studying Elementary Media Studies as a 4 year course then it won't make any odds either way...
snow conditions
I barely went Uni for the whole of my first year now I'm a lecturer in one and I didn't even have a decent excuse like skiing back then (which is not a very long time back).

As has been said its now her choice. Gordon Brown is not going to call round and slap your hands for being bad parents for taking her out of Uni but it may (or may not) directly affect her grades.

Her choice could depend on the type of course she is doing and what classes are on that week.
Here is an example of how the Uni's I've worked at deal with attendance.
As an example, science/engineering courses will have practical modules which are continuously assessed and for which a minimum attendance may be a requirement to pass the course. Even if these classes are missed due to genuine illness or extenuating circumstances you must usually satisfy the minimum attendance to pass that module.
If a class is missed (a) without an approved extenuating circumstance a mark of zero is awarded or (b) with approved extenuating circumstances an average of mark is awarded.

If she misses a few lectures its not so serious she can catch up and in my experience as a student and teacher most of the learning is done after the lectures when (if) the students go over the material themselves (often just before an exam).

If it was me in her position and it was not going to have a direct effect on my overall grades I'd go skiing. It will be easier for her to decide when she sees how her course works and what her timetable is like.
latest report
I just graduated this summer, i think it will mostly be dependant on what course she is doing. Just as long as she is doing a course that has labs/practicals that cant be missed. Then i wouldnt advise it if it clashes with said lab. But if your doing an arts degree then hell just go on holiday for three years and read a couple of books and you'll come out with a degree..... But in all seriousness some unis only make the first year pass/fail so i dont think missing one week is bad. Most lecture notes are made availible online or off mates so i say go skiing.... wink
snow report
Twitchy87, If shes doing an arts degree the week skiing will be the most work she does for the 3 years NehNeh
snow report
My 2p worth... not worth a huge amount (well, 2p actually...)

I went to the EoSB during my first year at uni. Excellent week of skiing. Much better than sitting exams... which I should have bee doing that week. Little Angel

I still passed the year though. Cool Toofy Grin (Then told them to find another student as it was a tad boring).

Not much help, but... unless it's a uni where there is a lot of small group work, no-one will likely notice that she is missing. I agree with those who suggest the decision be delegated to the lady in question and let her decide, on balance, what she would like to do. As I found, a week in year one is embarassingly lacking in anything worth knowing.
snow conditions
As a uni student myself, let me just answer your question. I've not read the previous posts so sorry if i'm echoing other peoples comments.

It depends on what for a degree she is doing. If she is doing an arts & humanities degree then the first year is pointless. The grades do not count towards her overall degree score. Students miss so many classes, it doesn't make a difference really.

If she is doing a science degree, it will be a silly idea to take her out of class for a week as that will equate to around 20-30 hours of classes, alongside labs and so forth.

Universities don't care if their students don't show up to class.
latest report
I found this (and other) thread on parents "pulling" their kids out of school a bit amuzing.

I was on my own in uni so when I felt like going to class, I went. Otherwise, I just sleep more or go do whatever I felt like (like go write a couple of useless computer programs rolling eyes ). One term, I managed to missed about 1/3 of the classes and still managed to pass with a decent grade. Science major, no less.

But even in high school, my parents would ask ME if I'd like to join them on their trips before approaching my teachers. Most teachers were understanding about that, with the only requirement being I self-study the modules I missed. Probably the best training on time management and self-reliance early on.

One time my teacher did objected. And my father's answer was "I think what she'll experience in the trip will be many times more benefitial than what she would get by sitting in class"! Shocked
snow report
Quote:

what she'll experience in the trip will be many times more benefitial than what she would get by sitting in class

Didn't do anything for the spelling though. Laughing
snow conditions
abc wrote:
I found this (and other) thread on parents "pulling" their kids out of school a bit amuzing. .....

Well, amusement is what snowheads is here for. Very Happy
ski holidays
As parent of three ex-uni students (in fact, come to think of it, one of them at 32 still is a student and just starting a Ph D) and an ex uni student myself, I agree that it is entirely for the student to decide. I would certainly not have asked my parents if I decided to take a week off, and my kids wouldn't have asked me.

It all depends on the course, the student and the university. But don't believe all the above categorical statements, even from people who say they've recently graduated. Some universities monitor attendance very closely now, even on arts courses, and your first year's work might count towards degree level. Your daughter will be able to make a decision once she's thoroughly got into her course, has a chance to talk to her friends about it, etc - she'll probably have a pretty clear idea in her own mind after a few weeks.

Two of my kids decided to take a YEAR off in the middle of their first degrees, actually - with the university's agreement. They went travelling for a year.
snow conditions
bet you wish you hadn't asked Laughing
latest report
Quote:

If she is doing an arts & humanities degree then the first year is pointless. The grades do not count towards her overall degree score.
This may be so for some universities and subjects, but not all. Law and economics are but two subjects at Cambridge where the first year exams count towards the tripos. That is not, however, to say that it would be impossible to catch up, fairly easily, on a week's missed work.

Quote:

Universities don't care if their students don't show up to class.
That's probably true, but individual colleges, where the university is organised on a collegiate basis, will care - they all want to be up in the league tables! I would have thought some grief could be expected at college level in the event of a student consistently skipping classes across the board. But again, a pre-organised missed week should be capable of being accommodated without too much fuss, particularly in a non-science subject.

I agree with those who have said that it should be for the student and not the parents to decide. But I guess that a parent who is ploughing lots of dosh into his child's degree course, which is more than likely to be the case these days, might want to be keeping an eye on how his money is being spent. wink
latest report
PJSki, the same brand that you wipe your front bottom with. Smile
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Puzzled Did he change his mind about posting just as you were replying? wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, Very Happy or a Mod changed it for him!
snow conditions
My ten pence worth.

What sort of message does this send to your daughter. Its because of these sorts of things that far to many people phone in work stating they are sick, when in fact thy just want the day off.

I can honestly say that i have never ever done this.

Its allright i hear some people say.

Well if you throw a sickie some other poor so and so has to do your share of the work.

She is privaleged to go to University. She should not abuse that privalege
ski holidays
I would leave the decision up to your daughter. Our sons are invited to come with us, but only if we are going during the universtiy holidays. They get a month at Christmas and a month around Easter, so there is plenty of time to holiday without it clashing with school breaks. If we decide to go during the term, they don't get asked.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, same here.
latest report
It depends on what she'll miss and whether she can catch up. (That's the grown up mature response)

The university won't give a crap unless she misses any one on one appointments or such like. If its just lectures then uni probably won't even notice. (the less grown up student out look)
latest report
If you haven't booked accommodation yet, why not choose an apartment that would be large enough for you all should she choose to come, and will cost you the same regardless, providing you aren't goign with a Uk tour op. We always drive, so we never waste unused flights.
snow report
el nombre, both responses have a lot going for them! Laughing
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Puzzled Did he change his mind about posting just as you were replying? wink

No, some dreary little mod with nothing better to do deleted it.

Seems to me the OP hasn't cut the umbilical cord. I had a mate who had a mother like that. We called her The Helicopter, on account of the fact she was always hovering. He stabbed her to death in the end. So you can see where this kind of controlling behaviour can lead.
snow report
She should join a Uni Ski Club and go with them ?
ski holidays
CEM wrote:
bet you wish you hadn't asked Laughing

Maybe we are seeing the beginning of an interesting social trend towards bring up children and young adults by committee. Which may not actually be a bad thing.
latest report
stanton wrote:
She should join a Uni Ski Club and go with them ?

But she may not want to end up at the bottom of a river.
snow conditions
Uni ski trips are also an awful lot mroe expensive than going with Mum and Dad.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy