Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Holiday in January 2010 - Where to go?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Long time no see / speak to.

It has been a while since I've been on my favourite ski forum...

So to the question.

My Dad, Uncles, Sister & OH, and Me and possibly my Girlfriend are planning to go skiing in January. The weeks we're thinking of are beginning on Sat 16th or Sat 23rd.

The only issue now is where would be good to go at that time of the year?

Looking for Half Board Chalets ideally and preferably close to the ski lift or to be able to door-step ski.

We'll have a couple of Beginners with us too, so some nice nursery / greens and blues would be good. (Although each will have had a

I look forward to your advice!

Blessings all,

Mr. Si
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
peisey-vallandry have nice ski-in ski-out chalets very reasonably priced. You have access to the whole les arcs skiing area which is well connected. i think you have the option of self catered and catered

i'm personally going to courchevel 1300 a week before you. can't wait!! (already!!)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mr.Si wrote:
Hi all,

Long time no see / speak to.

It has been a while since I've been on my favourite ski forum...

So to the question.

My Dad, Uncles, Sister & OH, and Me and possibly my Girlfriend are planning to go skiing in January. The weeks we're thinking of are beginning on Sat 16th or Sat 23rd.

The only issue now is where would be good to go at that time of the year?

Anywhere!

By that time, you are well enough into the season that unless it is a very poor snow season, pretty well anywhere should have decent coverage.

Quote:

Looking for Half Board Chalets ideally and preferably close to the ski lift or to be able to door-step ski.

France probably has the most chalets, but both Switzerland and Austria also have quite a few. Italy has fewer, but still some.

Most resorts have some decent blues (blues/greens if in France or Spain), but unless the rest of you really want a vast ski area, you will be better off in smaller resorts for the beginners. The larger resorts tend to be more expensive, and the beginners will not be able to take advantage of what that extra expense gives you.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mr.Si, you ought to look at La Rosiere, it has one of the best snow-fall records in the Alps, consistently in the top 5 French resorts for snow depths. There are good nursery slopes, with free ski lifts, both in the village and at Les Eucerts with a choice of highly rated ski schools at both locations. It's not too large so prices are reasonable compared to the mega ski resorts nearby, it's in the same valley as Val d'Isere, Tignes and Les Arcs, and there's added bonus of international skiing as the ski area is shared with La Thuile in Italy. I'm a real fan of the area as we own a chalet in the village and my son runs More Alps with 4 chalets in the village. You can find more information at www.larosiere.net where you'll find more details. Some of the smaller independent chalets that I can recommend are; www.morealps.com www.amountainchalet.com and www.burasnow.com

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 19-08-09 18:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David L, two of those links - including the one to your son's business - don't work as posted by you. And the Burasnow site sucks. Totally...

I had almost felt nostalgic for La Ros pimping. Now I can be happy again Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There are 2 choices in my opinion if you have learners with you, Arc 2000 or ADH.

My preference would be Arc 2000.

I cant wait for ADH on Jan 9th. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm looking at the sites now. Thanks all so far for the advice. The 3rd link is actually a .co.uk address not a .com address and the 2nd link had a random full stop, so if those are changed, they will work snowHead

I'm hoping for something around the 700 mark all in - i'm sure it's possible... Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stoatsbrother, thanks, comma removed, link now works.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dontlikeheights wrote:
There are 2 choices in my opinion if you have learners with you, Arc 2000 or ADH.

THere are several countries outside France, and dozens of suitable resorts within France, not 2.

And Les Arcs is probably one of the less suitable ones, being a "mega" resort, where they will be paying a premium for terrain they can't use yet.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mr.Si wrote:
I'm looking at the sites now. Thanks all so far for the advice. The 3rd link is actually a .co.uk address not a .com address and the 2nd link had a random full stop, so if those are changed, they will work snowHead

I'm hoping for something around the 700 mark all in - i'm sure it's possible... Smile

Assuming you mean per head, you should be able to get it for a fair bit less than that, provided you don't look at the mega French resorts.

Even the larger resorts in Austria or Italy, and most smaller French resorts, at that time of year, you should be able to get a package (flights,transfers, half board/chalet board) for around £400 or a little less, then lift passes around £150, plus any equipment hire and lessons required.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Assuming you mean per head, you should be able to get it for a fair bit less than that

well not if "all in" is supposed to include ski passes and equipment hire.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Assuming you mean per head, you should be able to get it for a fair bit less than that

well not if "all in" is supposed to include ski passes and equipment hire.

So what was wrong with my figures?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alex, yes, Sorry, that was what I was meaning. Then the flights on top etc. For the ones looked at so far in La Roisere in those links, we'd be looking at around 850 in total. It all soon stacks up! Not for me though as I have my own gear, but everyone else will need to hire their stuff.

The Les Arcs area is also quite attractive to me.

I've only been to Val d'Isere 4 yrs ago, the Zillertal valley & then VT (for the EoSB about 3 yrs ago) and 2 years ago, the Jungfrau region.

I think we'd probably only be looking at France...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr.Si, Skiworld have some very cheap all in offers...

http://www.skiworld.ltd.uk/popup_offer.php?id_special_offer=232
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Guys if you want super cheap, try snowtrex or wasteland both are dirt cheap and in my experience not so bad at all... depends how posh you are i guess !!
snow report
Mr.Si wrote:
Alex, yes, Sorry, that was what I was meaning. Then the flights on top etc.

The figures I was listing were including flights. Admittedly, I usually book fairly late, but I am also always looking for a single room, which gives much less choice.

Quote:

For the ones looked at so far in La Roisere in those links, we'd be looking at around 850 in total. It all soon stacks up! Not for me though as I have my own gear, but everyone else will need to hire their stuff.

I'm not sure what was in those links was particularly cheap.

BTW, my experience is that it is usually hard to beat the TO package prices by DIY, unless you are driving, or are lucky enough to get seriously cheap flights.

Quote:

The Les Arcs area is also quite attractive to me.

I've only been to Val d'Isere 4 yrs ago, the Zillertal valley & then VT (for the EoSB about 3 yrs ago) and 2 years ago, the Jungfrau region.

I would expect the Zillertal to be cheapest of those (and cheaper than Les Arcs).

Quote:

I think we'd probably only be looking at France...

Why?

If you are on a budget, that tends not to be the best choice, although there are exceptions of course. The bigger the area, the harder it is likely to be to find those exceptions.
ski holidays
Mr.Si, can't help, but welcome back Very Happy
snow report
quick point -
1 x beer in france 12 Euros
1 x beer in Austria 4 Euros

hard choice though isnt it!
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, Thanks!

dulcamara, Good Job I don't drink Smile

alex_heney, yeah it was the cheapest.

Regarding price, we're not trying to be ultimate budget by any means, but don't want it to break the bank. Middle Ground is where I sit. As in £1k is too much... Smile

I just like France - it seems what I'm used to and I like the language too. Apres would be more expensive, agreed. Although, the best skiing I've had was in Jungfrau region - but that was the fact it was my 4th week and it was a couple of years ago when the March snow was fantastically snowy and dumped every night i was there. Off-piste lessons were great - so much fun!!!
ski holidays
Mr.Si, Why not give us a try in Morzine in the Portes du Soleil area.
Ski in/out is not always best if you have beginners with you. Especially the first few days.
We have easy access to two beginners areas from the chalet by ski bus.
Instead of half board, why not try our B&B with maybe 3 nights catered, 1 pizza night and a couple of restaurant nights to sample the local specialities.
Gives you a chance to see some of the evening entertainment too, that is laid on by the resort. We try to be very flexible, to make your holiday that bit more enjoyable.
I think we would come in below your £700 budget per head including Accom, food, ski hire and passes.
Have a look at the website below, or e-mail Nina on apexgroup@free.fr
snow report
dulcamara, 12 euros? I've never paid 12 euros for a beer in France, I can buy a pitcher for 11,50.
latest report
Ok all,

Maybe I am interested in Austria too.

I guess I was partly put off last time i went, but that was just that the whole season's snow was crap. About 3 or 4 years ago.

Kitzbuhel? Mayrhofen? What areas would be good to cater for a couple of beginners, and better skiers?

Thanks,

Si
snow conditions
As far as Mayrhofen goes the ski schools are really great (not roten profis and not just because i work there) and the resort is big enough and varied enough for all levels. The only recomendation i have is avoid any busy times as there is one run all beginners have to do before venturing over to the other areas, it is really flat but also narrow and can get super icy when busy. Other than that I cannot promote mayrhofen enough as a big all rounder.

St Anton is also really great fun also
ski holidays
Well, it's being booked today!!!

We've ended up doing a Club Med All Inclusive deal in Sestriere, Italy. All included except ski hire for £819 each. Accommodation has lots of nice features too and it's really high.
we could not believe the price!

The party is now 9 of us too!

Found it on Iglu Ski's website.

http://www.igluski.com/sestriere/club-med-sestriere_p6886?holidayid=22171503&Oid=14202021

Boot hire has been thrown in for free too which was nice of the person we dealt with who matched Iglu Ski's price.

So excited!!!! snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
Mr.Si, Great! Have fun. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy