Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The fight goes on for female ski jumpers

Poster: A snowHead
A group of female ski jumpers has written a letter to IOC president Jacques Rogge to plead one more time to be allowed to compete at Vancouver 2010. They have argued that, if women’s boxing can be part of the 2012 Olympics, women’s ski jumping should be allowed at the 2010 Winter Games....See: http://www.canada.com/sports/Female+jumpers+plead+case+president/1906377/story.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think they ought to be allowed to compete
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, go on then, sign up Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't see the problem. Men get to do it so should the ladies, sure they won't be any good at it but hey, they're women what you expect.

**duck**
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Problem is not discrimination or something similar. Real problem is, there's less then 50 women ski jumpers on world. And that's a bit little to have this discipline at Olympics. Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
primoz, How many female skeleton riders are there worldwide ?

The ski jumpers were told what they had to do to get into the Olympics in terms of number of World Championships they needed to have held, they have not done this AFAIK.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I just don't understand why they can't all wear cardigan's or even fleecies like sensible ladies do all over the world?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjs wrote:
primoz, How many female skeleton riders are there worldwide ?

I have no idea about women skeleton. I don't have any interest in skeleton, therefore I have no idea how many riders there is or anything similar to this. I do know ski jumping on the other side. Wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rather than direct discrimination it's probably more an issue of fitting in another event. Chances are they will likely argue that to include women's ski jump will lead to another event having to go...at least that's what tends to be their argument with the summer games.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Apparently, as a concession, the IOC president has agreed to have women's ski jumping in the 2012 olympics.

See: http://www.theskichannel.com/news/skinews/20090827/Womens-Ski-Jumping-Will-Be-Included-in-2012-Youth-Olympics-
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The 2012 Olympics? That's a bit drastic isn't it? If Seb Coe thought he had trouble reigning in expenses before ... wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
northantsred, Took me a minute, but... Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No...apparently it's true. They'll use the outside of the Dome and land in the Thames... Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The 2012 Youth Olympics are not in London, they will be in Innsbruck.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The FIS announced last Thursday that it will petition the International Olympic Committee to include women's ski jumping as an event at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

See: http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5hxEyZXphb1X-mkuylKFonBk7H0lg
latest report
Why can't the women compete with the men? Apart from stupidity what is the skill in ski jumping? Is it timing and technique or is there a strength element in it?
latest report
As far as I'm aware, the problem is that

a) The IOC have had a policy in recent years to try and appeal to a younger and wider audience. This has seen the likes of BMX and snowboard halfpipe make their debuts to appeal to under 25s, whilst it is hoped that golf in 2016 will bring a lot of extra revenue.

b) Whilst the IOC are also keen to move against lingering cultural perceptions that some sports are only for men (women's boxing has recently been voted in for 2012), they will not put in a sport that is not highly-competitive and established. The women's boxing World Champs last year hosted more than 250 boxers from more than 50 countries, and these were only the ones that qualified. The sport is also popular and current. Skiing halfpipe didn't make the grade for 2010 because despite being popular and current, the standard drops away too quickly after messrs Hall and Dumont.

In comparison, ski jumping is neither popular or current and will not help the IOC to attract a wider audience, and on that basis alone the IOC would be skeptical about adding it. Add to this that women's ski jumping is hardly very established competitively (WSJ2010 themselves admit there are only 130 athletes from 16 nations. And there's no World Cup tour!) and you've got a pretty solid case for not including it. It has nothing to do with discrimination - only the integrity of Olympic competition.

Regarding women's skeleton, there are 219 FIBT-registered female skeleton athletes, plus (a big plus) given the nature of the sport - which is very team-orientated despite being an individual discipline - only the top 8 national teams are actually invited to compete at the Games. Which pushes the standard of the fight for gold even higher.

I reckon it's fairly clear that if they did let women jump in 2010, it would be because of positive discrimination, and not because they've earned it. Thank god the IOC committee haven't gone PC mad like the rest of the world.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy