Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help on finding skijobs

Poster: A snowHead
I reckon this whole post is a plant, to slag off a genuine example of a TO job, in favour of some nameless post offereing a lot less work and heartache.

Nice try KevDucky, but Im not getting drawn in.

you really had me going for a while.

Honestly I really think we should leave the whole thing for a while, at least until the afflicted have had a chance to rest, and rethink their strategy.
Other wise you can just expect more of the same toothless opinionated nonsense riddled with wiki law.

Nix
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nixmap, admit it, you set up an alias and started this thread Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lizzard wrote:
.......Ski punters are nice middle class, middle aged fat people ......

I deny that. I am not particularly nice - and I'm not middle aged; I'm old. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles, We would be hard pressed to call you a 'punter' wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque, I'm working at it. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen Beaumont, thats true, it isn't the same thing!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have done a couple of seasons, one as a driver and one as a host. i would like to be working in verbier this year as i did last year and loved it.

Can anybody help me???
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Having read through this I am now inspired to take an axe to wages, strip out passes and insurance, charge deposits and generally become a little more exploitative. Thank you all wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ctskifam, there has been no discussion of the quality of the staff involved. Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno wrote:
nixmap, admit it, you set up an alias and started this thread Laughing

How could someone as perfectly innocent as me ever do such a thing. Little Angel
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kevducky, I think the TOs calculate that worried parents will stump up the necessary for insurance. wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
[quote="Lizzard"]
Quote:

Quote:

£1,100 per month?!? Wow, generous.

Er, what exactly did you expect for a waiting/cleaning position open to totally inexperienced school leavers? It's more than minimum wage, which is the most they could expect elsewhere.

Considerably less than £1,100 per month! About £50 per week. The £1,100 is a complete con, as it really doesn't cost £900 for board and lodging the way I've seen TO staff boarded and lodged...

I was making the point - obviously not clearly enough - that firstly she wasn't being paid £1,100 a month at all. And if she were paid £11,100 per month, with a 10,900 charge for board and lodging, she would not suffer UK income tax on the £10,900 which was OP's worry.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Depends on how it's work out. I was with Cystal last season and got paid a wage of whatever a month (can't remember off the top of my head), plus a tax free subsistence allowance. I was taxed on the wage. POS (provision of service, ie accom etc.) was then taken out.

Admittedly I was on a BR tax code owing to TUI doing bug all with the P45 I gave them, but since I had tax to reclaim from other jobs I wasn't overly bothered as I just bunged the P60 from them in with the rest when reclaiming.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are many many variations on a theme depending on how each company (or their lawyers and accountants) have chosen to interpret posted worker rules, social security requirememts and minimum wage legislation. Either way, you're rarely going to finish a season with a big wodge of dosh in the bank.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
James the Last, deductions are commonly made for accommodation, food, lift pass, transport, uniform, insurance, whatever else they think they can get away with. I leave it to you to cost it all out, but remember that your rent in resort doesn't buy you much space.

Oddly, the only TO I know of which will pay a proper wage is TUI, which allows junior staff to opt out of the provision of services element. They are obviously then required to provide their own accommodation, transport, pass etc etc. I have never heard of anyone taking them up on it.
ski holidays
That'll be because TUI (or Crystal at any rate) don't tell you which resort you are going to be in until after training week for a number of positions, thus making it nigh on impossible to opt out...

For this coming season I'm going to be getting £100 per week with none of the POS taken out (which actually goes out a few days after you get paid), which will work out as more than I got last season for Crystal. Plus I also know which resort and chalet I'm going to be in
snow report
I'd just like to stick up for TUI (can't speak for the rest) in the interview I was told bluntly that I'd be earning £200 a month, it was'nt till I got my contract I realised I'd actually be be paid just over £1000 with £800 taken out for rent, pass, insurance, etc. If I had of known I may of considered looking for my own accom seeing as though I have done two independent seasons and I have a good idea of how things work! But as said above, I don't yet know 100% where I'm going so things could have got more complicated if i'd have kicked up a fuss!
snow conditions
Sitter, True. And you can guarantee that if you opted ou tand managed to organise your own life they'd move you at the last minute in order to crush that spark of individuality.

manicpb, So you're telling us they failed to be straight with you in interview (ie didn't tell you POS wansn't obligatory). It doesn't surprise me, but it's hardly sticking up for them, is it? Laughing
snow report
Lizzard wrote:

manicpb, So you're telling us they failed to be straight with you in interview (ie didn't tell you POS wansn't obligatory). It doesn't surprise me, but it's hardly sticking up for them, is it? Laughing

Take my comments how you like, but I don't want someone saying to me me "yes sir, we'll offer you a £1000 a month blah blah...but take out blah blah!

Just tell me what I'll get in my back pocket!
ski holidays
manicpb, Baaaaaaaaaaaa! Laughing
snow conditions
Boy those TOs sound such nice people to work for. So you net £50 a week for the priviledge of living in some boiler room with smelly socks. and you get to work a 6 day week.
Did I misunderstand something?
Where do I sign.?
snow conditions
nixmap, the kids who sign on as hotel staff with TOs are not the sort of people you were looking for. They do the TO season thing because they want an easy time, a ready-made social life and their bottoms wiping. They don't speak any language other than their own and they have no clue as to how to go about organising a season for themselves. They also require constant supervision, which is why they are working in a hotel with a manager looking after them.

Amongst those people are some who would stay long term but they don't because they get tired of the ridiculous pay and conditions. They go into 'proper' jobs, start their own chalet businesses, move on to local employers, whatever. The TO business model revolves around offering the cheap deal their punters demand, arrived at by using cheap staff. I'm sure you know all this.

I didn't have any problem with your arrangement (in fact if you pm me your e-mail address I might even apply for it myself at some point), and I'm sure there are plenty of other people on here who share that point of view. You could stop being so defensive.
snow report
nixmap, just because your offer didn't appeal to some doesn't mean that it wouldn't be right for others. I do think if you post about it on a public forum though, that people have the right to question you in public about the position.
snow report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
nixmap, just because your offer didn't appeal to some doesn't mean that it wouldn't be right for others. I do think if you post about it on a public forum though, that people have the right to question you in public about the position.

Apparently they dont have the right, as that debate was closed!! Smile

This is (alegedly) a different one. Puzzled

Either way, there werent any objections from me in case you hadnt noticed. Either from questions or genuine debate. Only to things I thought inappropriate.
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
nixmap You could stop being so defensive.

I wasnt, although, its not its not entirely obvious ill admit.

It was really meant as a wake up call, to those people who can look after themselves but still get sucked in by the TOs.

which is what I thought this thread was about.
latest report
Just got back from a holiday cruise. My daughter wants to ge a job doing that as well now. The problem i have and I need to ask Equity is - If you are being paid £1100pm for 4 months and she has had a bit of work during the year, she could be a basic rate tax payer. Nat insurance will also be taken off even though she is getting a paltrey £160.

She has come up with a fantastic compromise. If I pay her £160pw and send her skiing, she will stay at home and I can put it through my business account to save tax. Puzzled

Anyway she is going FULL STOPPPPPP
ski holidays
Well as long as you feel good avoiding taxes, which the rest of your fellow citizens have voted for, I guess thats ok
latest report
i've done quite a few seasons for tour ops, and never had to pay for insurance or lift pass. a bond at the start of season is perfectly normal to ensure that their staff turn up. the first couple of weeks are often seen as some of the most important as guests have paid vast sums for christmas and new year breaks.

the wage seems a little low, but you say this includes food, so really the £160 is just for spending in the bars, and depending on the resort she ends up in, will probably find that there are workers discounts.

the main thing is to go out there and enjoy it, but if you're at all unhappy at the moment, suggest she applies to other tour operators pretty quickly, or even just phone up perhaps crystal and neilson recruitment lines and ask what their package includes.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well he has done it.. I say HE not SHE as my wife who thinks that there are spies everywhere demanded that I disguise his identity. Yes I know it is completely pathetic but don't blame me.

He put down L2A, LDA and Saalbach as his prefered places so he is off to Serr Chevalier on the 26th Nov working at the Aigle. (You don't need to tell me that it isn't 5 star accomodation) We are quite happy about this as we love Serr Chev. wife has already booked for new year and I am sure there will be lots of short breaks.
ski holidays
kevducky, and there's a;ready some snow falling. Look us up at New Year. we're over there for a couple of weeks.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont wrote:
kevducky, and there's a;ready some snow falling. Look us up at New Year. we're over there for a couple of weeks.
Will do Helen

Where is the best place to go for New year?
latest report
kevducky, which village are you staying in?
snow report
kevducky, so if I want to identlfy your offspring, I just have to look at all the trans-gender staff in the Aigle. Can't see that taking a long time. Laughing
snow report
He does spend most of his time tarting himself up.

At new year we are staying at the Grand Aigle in Villeneuve. Cheap enough that if the food is bad, we can always eat out. It will end up the wife cleaning guest rooms for the son while he goes skiing Puzzled
snow report
kevducky, absolutely not !!! You're on holiday, not there to clean rooms for kids, time for him to learn to grow up. !! Head off skiing and arrnage to meet later. Very Happy . Plenty of good restaurants in Villeneuve to choose from. Lots of them will have celebration menus too.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
I get paid an extra 48,01€ a month for speaking English, regarding which I feel a bit of a fraud....

Why - are you Scottish? Toofy Grin wink
snow report
Alastair Pink, yes (so I speak much better English than the rest of you, having been the beneficiary of a far superior education Razz ) However, my embarrassment stems more from the fact that I don't have to put any effort in for my 48,01€.
snow conditions
Lizzard, Will you still get the extra when CdA takeover?
snow report
Reading all this we obviously pay our staff way too much Shocked And they get a lot of ski time once the main season starts ! They do a good job though - I guess you get what you pay for!

We've had an unbelievable amount of job applications this year - still coming in thick and fast, even at this late stage. At least 80% of them don't mention skiing/snowboarding/mountains/any interest in any of it whatsoever! I find that odd! My advice to anyone applying for a company like hours is to at least show a bit of interest and acknowledge it's a ski job because it's important for staff to be passionate about it...isn't it?

Good luck to anyone looking for work - it's a great experience!! Get out there, you'll love it! Like someone said earlier, gaining experience is really important - settle for what you can get this year; it'll stand you in a good position for something better next.
ski holidays
How about Uni Students doing something more pro active for society like working VSO or one of the many overseas volunteer agencies or even MSF or Red Cross ?

Im sure this would look far better on a CV than "worked in a Ski Resort"
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy