Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season in 3 Valleys - advice needed...

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

My friend and I have decided to spend the whole season skiing. We're mainly looking at in Meribel or Val Thorens, but we're open to suggestions of other locations. I want to be pretty central - and preferably ski-in/ski-out...

The only problem is - where do I find an apartment? I've seen plenty of studio apartments advertised for seasonal let, but we don't want to slum it - we need a bedroom each! We'll both be remote-working part time from the apartment, so we'll need a desk and reliable broadband connection.

We wouldn't be adverse to the idea of taking 2 bedrooms in a shared chalet, but I wouldn't want to have the rest of the place so crammed that people are sleeping in the living area...

Anyone got any advice? Anyone in the same position? Want to look at sharing a larger place?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally, and I say this speaking purely from opinion of only having holidayed and not seasoned there, I would go for La Tania. Because :

a. its relatively small so if you're seasoning you should find you get to know everyone.
b. The courchevel valley is my favorite of the 3 valleys. I personally dont particularly like meribel. VT is great for skiing/riding but ugly as sin and drab and I wouldn't want to live there.
c. Almost all the accom. in LT is within a stones throw from the piste.
d. quick journey out the valley for days when you want to escape.
e. it's probably the cheapest in the 3v's so youve got the best chance of getting the accom. space you want.

You shouldn't have any problem getting anywhere in 3v from La Tania. From LT i've caught first lift, made my way all the way past VT and to the top point of Orelle, caught some fresh lines down and back to the restaraunt at the top of the 3v express at the bottom of orelle for early lunch. Equally heading across to the top point above Les Menuires is possible by late morning.

Can't help you with accom though. Try natives. Or if La Tania sounds like your thinkg look at latania.co.uk.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
d.brophy, I did a couple of seasons in VT and can recommend it. I picked VT because it's the longest season and because I like the place anyway. Most places are more or less ski in/out. Iwas lucky with the accommodation - I spotted someone on snowHeads with a 2 bed apartment and got a decent deal. I got broadband installed within a couple of weeks quite easily. If you pick VT feel free to PM me for hints and tips.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If your a yuppy then your be in heaven Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gazzza, thanks for the advice - I haven't really considered La Tania until now. Someone told me Courchevel was more expensive than the rest of the 3V, and I assumed this meant La Tania too. I'll take a closer look.

Alastair, I feel a bit dim, but I've been trying to work out how to send a PM on this site for a while now... If I click on your name, it just inserts a quote into the reply box... Tell me the secret!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Assuming you'll have a car with you, why not look a little further afield, for example, Moutiers. You'll probably find some cheaper/better apartments there, you'll get to see a bit more of French life and, when you go skiing, you can start the day somewhere different each time.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
altis wrote:
Assuming you'll have a car with you, why not look a little further afield, for example, Moutiers. You'll probably find some cheaper/better apartments there, you'll get to see a bit more of French life and, when you go skiing, you can start the day somewhere different each time.

Moutiers for A SEASON? - you might as well go to tower hamlets, it's equally attractive.

Although the theory is reasonably sound I would go for Bride Les B in preference as that puts you 'on the bubble' - so no need to drive to go skiing. Plus 20 minutes up the valley and you can hook into Paradiski via Champagny which is a nice alternative. Or if not totally stuck on 3v then checkout places like the pink house in Bourg or the Freeride republic in Peisey.

Have a look at this thread for some thoughts on seasoning in 3v - http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=789303&highlight=hello+val+thorens#789303

One thing to watch for w.r.t to internet is that quite a few frenchies don't have phone lines in their appartments, so you need to make sure the phone line is already in place as otherwise that will increase your lead time to get le WiFI running.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
d.brophy, 'Send/Read Messages' under the logo snowHead .
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bertie bassett, steady on... I live in Tower Hamlets!

(yes, OK it's a dump)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Try VRBO, Homeaway, Vacation rentals. We use these sites to get long term rentals every year. We get ridiculously low quotes from owners who want a guaranteed income without the uncertainty of a few weeks or weekends here and there. Take no notice of the rates quoted in their blurb and just blast them all with your maximum budget.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
susieski, I've used VRBO for Hawaii and I'm sure it's great for US ski resorts. Can't imagine you'd find a lot in the 3V's though.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
you`de be suprised!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not really only 11 properties in the whole of Savoie! Unsurprisingly though there is one in La Rosiere the centre of the skiing universe.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Colin B, why is that surprising?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OK, so I just looked on Holiday Rentals (HomeAway) site ; they have 288 various sized properties in 3 Valleys area!
snow conditions
d.brophy, 288 properties in 3 valleys area on Holiday Rentals Home Away site.
ski holidays
I asked a somewhat similar question in an earlier thread. You might find some of the suggestions applicable to your situation.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1233941&highlight=broadband#1233941
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy