Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Pair of Fatties - How Big?

Poster: A snowHead
I've a mate (cough, no really it isn't me) who I've managed to talk out of his usual piste bimbling trip and into a snoworks all terrain week. I'm rather hoping we won't be seeing too much on-piste work that week.

He's had a pair of Salomon skier-cross type of things for at least the five years I've known him, in a 175.

I've suggested he could do with summat a bit fatter for our trip and have my eye on a pair that could do the job. He's a pretty fit lad, 5' 10" and 12 stone, this will be his first proper go at mixed terrain and I was thinking of a twin tip, 90mm underfoot type of thingy.

I also think he'd need something round 185cm long, or 180 at least, but he's worried that they may be too much for him at those lengths.

Just to be on the safe side, I said I'd ask around. So; what do you think?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
what about the Icelantic Pilgrims? Pretty cheap from kiwi1 at the moment
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
o11y, that could be where one of my eyes are! wink Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mosha Marc, mid-80s waist, something like 85-88 mm, don't go over 23m radius.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
comprex wrote:

Agreed, and maybe a tighter radius than that, and no more than 180cm would be my advice.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
IMO depends how strong a skier he is from a technical POV

if carving is an "acquired skill", I'd say he shouldn't be afraid to go fatter than others have suggested and with a straighter sidecut. 180cm ish sounds right - could go longer if he gets twin tips
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
Agreed, and maybe a tighter radius than that, and no more than 180cm would be my advice.

Nah - 85mm is too narrow, and considered a piste ski these days.

If your looking for an off piste ski then get something closer to 100mm under foot.
You will honestly find it EASIER - a wide ski will improve your off piste skills over night wink
K2 Coombak / Volkl Katana or Gotama / Salomon Lord would be obvious mainstream ski suggestions.
Plenty flotation but still nimble enough to hold an edge on piste / harder snow when required.

Dont be scared of the extra length either.
Its the total surface area that provides the float - not the width.
As a rule of thumb go 10cm longer for an off piste ski.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Salomon Lord

Haggis_Trap, its only about 87mm at the waist.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
90mm-105mm ish. Wouldn't go >115mm from a skinny ski, too much of a culture shock when you've only got a week. Tip rocker in a slightly longer length would be good,
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RPF wrote:
Quote:

Salomon Lord

Haggis_Trap, its only about 87mm at the waist.

Right you are.... And being a Salomon ski its probably made of cheese with a foam core that wont last.
So best avoid that suggestion.

Go 100mm-ish and a little longer - it will honestly make the off piste easier & more fun Very Happy

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 12-08-09 13:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oooh, what size feet has he got Marc? I've a pair of MOvement gladiators that seem to fit the bill you've set. 183cm twin tips, dimensions are 125/92/113.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MVMT Gladiator is a good ski.

Are you selling a pair ? If so I might be interested...
Looking to buy a 90mm ski for use in Scotland.
Though reluctant to buy new - as I know that I will be skiing it over plenty rocks / heather or anything else that gets in my way.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm looking to consolidate. I bought some movement flames, and liked them so much I got some gladiators. The gladiator is great in soft snow, but at 11st I don't have the weight or technique to handle it properly on hardpack. I really need to sell both pairs and either go to renting, or get one pair that sits in between them
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
comprex wrote:

I was originally thinking Blizzard Magnum 8.7, Elan 888, Stockli VXL, Head Monster series, but a K2 Enemy would do.

No fatter until he learns to transition on fats.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nbt just sent you a pm with my email.
let me know how much you want for them

nbt wrote:
or get one pair that sits in between them

I guess that a spark or kamasutra is half between the flame and gladiator ?
Though movement skis are quite stiff - which some people can struggle with.
snow conditions
sounds like he needs to buy my Missions Marc Very Happy

I'd say over 180cm would be too long given his weight & height.

cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
sounds like he needs to buy my Missions Marc Very Happy

I'd say over 180cm would be too long given his weight & height.

cheers,

Greg

No I'd say a Seth 189 would be perfect all round - the twin tip makes them ski shorter (& I just happen to have a pair available wink )
snow conditions
nbt, size 8 feet.

Arno, he's not "that" proficient. Not been one for lessons up to press.
snow report
What comprex, said. Best thing to do is try them, but unless you have a bit of a quiver or strike lucky with a week of powder days 28+ radius with 95+ underfoot straight off 17m radius and 65 underfoot will be a PITA.
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap wrote:
If your looking for an off piste ski then get something closer to 100mm under foot.
You will honestly find it EASIER - a wide ski will improve your off piste skills over night wink

Not only do you still think it's for me, but you've skanked a pair from under me nose!!

Naughty Doug wink Laughing
snow report
kitenski, are you selling them?
snow report
You could try Soundskis in Plymouth.

They're pimping some Liberty Helix skis (176 / 187cm at 135-105-122). Very well made, and even have a tidy graphic on them if that's your thing!

I think they're selling them for about £150 ish (minus clamps).

A good price for a lot of ski imo.

Cheers!

(Oh, and I'm sure kiwi1 is still selling some Nomads - somewhere - which might suit your purpose too.)
snow conditions
fr0sty, ebay is totally clogged up with icelantics - i'm assuming kiwi1 is the seller
ski holidays
Arno, Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
fr0sty, ebay is totally clogged up with icelantics - i'm assuming kiwi1 is the seller

Yep check out the steezy keyring

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-ICELANTIC-HORSE-MARE-AND-FOAL-KEYRING_W0QQitemZ370167840352QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item562fb8fe60&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
latest report
fatbob, That key ring rocks dude Very Happy Madeye-Smiley

Keyrings R Us is my other business.
snow report
Doug, the glads are belters, have me a couple of pairs, i aint shy with the pies so the stiffness is just the ticket. Pretty decent in the variable conditions in Scotland, I would call them "all-mountain" skis! Find them fine on ice/hardpack (again though, i've got plenty of ballast on board)

Mosha, you could do a lot worse than the Glads. At 12 stone they might be a bit stiff for you - but if you're a proper hard charger then this wont bother you in the slightest. They have proper big twins so the 183 does "ski short". That said, I'm 5'10 ish and have the 183s - find them fine, the longer (193 I think?) only came out recently - i might be tempted if i were buying new ones - again they will feel shorter than that.
I have noticed some instructors up this way on the karmasutras, so they cant be bad neither.
good luck
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:

yup, was hanging on until the season started before advertising them.....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
kitenski,

From your experience, (without meaning to hijack too much), is it better to wait until the season starts to sell skis?
It would appear to be the most logical way, but I would have thought as many people were looking off-season too.

Cheers!
ski holidays
fr0sty wrote:
Quote:
kitenski,

From your experience, (without meaning to hijack too much), is it better to wait until the season starts to sell skis?
It would appear to be the most logical way, but I would have thought as many people were looking off-season too.

Cheers!

Dunno, never sold any off-season, so have nothing to compare with I'm afraid Smile
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:

What length are they?
ski holidays
178cm (perfect for the weight/height of your mate)

Dimensions: 128x89x115
Radius: 17.5/16.5
Look FX 12Ti Bindings.

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
kitenski, More details please. Am looking to consolidate skis, your missions maybe a suitable replacement Smile
ski holidays
nbt wrote:
kitenski, More details please. Am looking to consolidate skis, your missions maybe a suitable replacement Smile

I'll get some pics sorted on Friday (travelling today) and put up a forsale post....

cheers,

Greg
ski holidays

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 30-09-09 0:40; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Nah - 85mm is too narrow, and considered a piste ski these days.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Black Crows Navis or Nordica Enforcer.
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, My Enforcers just seem to get better and better Cool Shame last years lost the twin tip.
latest report
You don't need really wide skis in the alps so unless you want a whole quiver, 90-100mm is a good choice. In the alps you are often skiing all kinds of snow off piste, it's not all nice pow all the time like slc or somewhere. With the way fatter skis are these days I wouldn't go under 90mm.
latest report
narc, That's exactly the range I vote for. Will cope with pretty much everything.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy