Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland at the end of Jan?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just wondering what the snow would be like up there if I make a weekend trip at the end of Jan?

Any areas in particular that will have the best snow?

Despite my name, I'm a virgin to Scottish skiing Neh Neh
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scottland, Ask again a couple of days before you intend to go.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rjs, I see it's like that is it! Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scottland wrote:
Just wondering what the snow would be like up there if I make a weekend trip at the end of Jan?

There'll be some decent snow somewhere ... whether there'll be nice enough weather to slide on it enjoyably is the question you need to ask yourself the day before you go. Laughing

A random Sunday back end of Jan 2007 ... http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?21,2007-01-21

A random Sunday back end of Jan 2008 ... http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?21,2008-01-20

A random Sunday back end of Jan 2009 ... http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?21,2009-01-25

Scottland wrote:
Any areas in particular that will have the best snow?

Most of us who ski Scotland regularly will have had great skiing days at all of the centres from January through May. Very Happy

Scottland wrote:
Despite my name, I'm a virgin to Scottish skiing Neh Neh

You won't regret it and once you've done it you'll be a convert ... if you're not then I'm afraid you've just got no soul. Anyway, I've got a feeling it's going to dump and shine this winter. Cool
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I've got a feeling it's going to dump and shine this winter.

I hope so.

I remember that Sunday in 2008 (at Glenshee Laughing - see muttsnutts report) & 2009 (on a course in Doncaster Sad - I had to come back from the PDS a day early. The rest of the group had horrible weather, then severely delayed flights so it wasn't all bad).

The snow can be great anywhere but you will definitely see sunrise & sunset at that time of year.
This was taken with my phone because I was in the ticket queue & didn't want to lose my place & my camera was in the car:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/neil2829/Glencoe12thJanuary200802#5192912348349103698

It does snow a lot, usually accompanied by severe winds which are useful to drive the snow into the gullies at Glencoe & the fences at Glenshee! Alas the back of storms tend to be warm SW winds which then strip the hillsides. If this phase of the cycle is short & a settled cold period follows, it is great. All the ski areas now have webcams (finally) & Winterhighland is very useful (as is Highland-Instinct). Check out all the info from both before coming & if you want any last minute advice - ask.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
what...snow ... Bring it on ... what a great set of photos !! My children are back at school next week & I just can't wait for this crap, soggy, semi-summer to be over now so we can start dreaming of early starts & getting changed in car parks. Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
However it needs to be stressed that you might go in January or February and find almost no snow with almost all runs unskiable. Your best chance of good snow-cover, if you have to plan, is March (and the best the season before last was April).
I'm hoping for a late March or early April trip again in 2010 (didn't work out last year with the poor late season snow).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

you might go in January or February and find almost no snow with almost all runs unskiable.

Quote:

Most of us who ski Scotland regularly will have had great skiing days at all of the centres from January through May

I would tend to agree with the second quote - there WILL be Scottish skiing at that time, though just how much/how skiable will depend on the weather "on the day" (or weekend) so to speak.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy