Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Switzerland: Can you work as an independant ski instructor?

Poster: A snowHead
BASI 2 qualified.
Got a good client list of repeat and friendly clients.

So in that situation can you just work as an independant instructor?
Obviously would need to get proper insurance etc, and finacially at risk if clients don't come through.

Anybody know?

It's not for me (or even my son!!), but a friend from work who wants a life style change and would be able to tap into his old corporate skiing friends (he thinks)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The guidance on the BASI website for working in Switzerland says this
Quote:
Qualification
Like Austria, the Swiss authorities recognise and have different qualifications for Alpine, Snowboard, Nordic and Telemark disciplines. Although in the past, the authorities in some Cantons have been relaxed about qualifications and have permitted people to teach after 5 days of in-house training, this is option is quickly diminishing. Most ski schools now insist on employing qualified instructors from a recognised governing body such as BASI or its Swiss counterpart, Swiss Snowsports. However, the good news is that BASI's Level 2 Instructor (formerly Grade 3) qualification is accepted.

Work Permit
As Switzerland is not a member of the EU, work permits are required. An instructor must apply to a recognised ski school in Switzerland and obtain a job offer and contract. Once a contract is in place, the ski school will apply for a work permit and only when a permit has been granted can the instructor work for that ski school. The general impression that Switzerland is more relaxed about instructors working illegally than for instance France, is mistaken.
Instructors should be very careful if they are offered work without a visa because, if caught (through the regular police checks on ski schools and individuals), the financial penalties are severe for all parties concerned and could result in deportation from Switzerland!

Other Requirements
An instructor cannot work in Switzerland independently without holding the Swiss level 3 qualification and Patente. This is difficult to obtain and a time-consuming process. Again, not only are penalties severe but, just as importantly, neither the instructor nor the clients are covered by insurance.

My emphasis.

No idea how this relates to the situation in different resorts.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Rob...I'll pass it on.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think the problem probably lies with the fact a work visa is needed. However, there are British ski schools operating in Switerland. And I don't know how BASI courses work? So there must be options to investigate.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well Warren Smith might be a good example? Does he have a swiss equivelant qualification of his BASI?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ordhan, I believe his ski school is recognised by the authorities in Verbier.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ordhan, I am pretty sure he does. However, if it was a UK company and therefore operated from outside switzerland would that change things?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rungsp, if he's a "new face" then no patante = no work. If he feels that he can bring enough business in and is happy to give some sort of kick back then I'm sure both ES & Altitude will hook him up with the paperwork. I was under the impression that the instructors actually get some sort of commission on top of there regular pay when they bring in their own clients.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski wrote:
However, if it was a UK company and therefore operated from outside switzerland would that change things?

EU citizens can now work in CH for up to 90 days without a work permit - this covers employees of non-Swiss companies working on site in CH for short periods of time. Over 90 days and you need an L permit. In other words I imagine short BASI courses are covered by this.

I would think someone bringing clients might become more employable?

You don't really want to be messing with working in the black market in Swizerland, imo. If you keep everything above board, the authorities tend to be extremely helpful.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
Ordhan, I believe his ski school is recognised by the authorities in Verbier.

Presumably his ski school is actually a Swiss company i.e. registered in the Valais commercial register?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
eng_ch, I'm assuming so (I have no inside info) because he runs a fairly high profile operation in Verbier (and Saas Fee) and employs a number of instructors in his team, having done so for a few years.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In my experience a 'local' usually has a stake in the business or is part of the management structure which smooths the way with the authorities.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, Thanks, I was more using him as an example as he seems to get on quite well in Switzerland and I was wondering what his set up was.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ordhan wrote:
rob@rar, Thanks, I was more using him as an example as he seems to get on quite well in Switzerland and I was wondering what his set up was.

I think his operation works extremely well, but the OP was about working as an independent rather than for (or setting up) a ski school. Two very different things.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
david@mediacopy wrote:
In my experience a 'local' usually has a stake in the business or is part of the management structure which smooths the way with the authorities.

Depending on the form of the company, that may actually be a legal requirement
snow conditions
rob@rar, that might be the way to do it though, set up a company that is essentially a one man band? I don't know what the Swiss rules are about setting up companies, if you have to employ a certain number of Swiss etc.
ski holidays
Ordhan wrote:
Well Warren Smith might be a good example? Does he have a swiss equivelant qualification of his BASI?

AFAIAA Warren's qualifications are Austrian & Welsh, not BASI.
latest report
Spyderman, pretty certain Warren was old BASI 2, but he may no longer be a member.
snow report
beanie1, If that's the case, how can he run BASI training courses? I would have thought only trainers could do this.
latest report
easiski, he only runs the training part, a BASI trainer will then do the L1 and L2 assessments for his Gap courses.
snow report
Spyderman, He is actually an IASI level 3 aswell and currently working on hte level 4 from what I hear, He was at one stage BASI. All the guys that work for him are level 4 basi as far as I know and they do most of the training for the Gap courses and then the BASI trainers come in to sit the exams
snow report
Fattes13 wrote:
Spyderman, He is actually an IASI level 3 aswell and currently working on hte level 4 from what I hear, He was at one stage BASI. All the guys that work for him are level 4 basi as far as I know and they do most of the training for the Gap courses and then the BASI trainers come in to sit the exams

Fattes13 My previous reply to Ordhan was in his assumption that Warren held BASI qualifications, which he doesn't AFAIAA.
I'm pretty sure that in the dim and distant past that Warren did his first snow qualification in Austria, he certainly had an Austrian qualification in the mid 1990's.
His coaching award is through Snowsports Wales.
I forgot that he'd done his IASI L3. He passed that last season in Chamonix on a course with P S-G as the trainer, if I remember correctly.
Most, not all of his WSA coaches are BASI, some are CSIA I believe. All are certainly qualified to ISIA standard and very good they are too, I've seen them in action. I'm not sure if any hold BASI ISTD however.
latest report
As far as I know, Warrens company is Snowsport Synergy Ltd, based in Lancashire.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:
As far as I know, Warrens company is Snowsport Synergy Ltd, based in Lancashire.

HhahahhahahahahahaaaaaaaaaA
snow conditions
Spyderman, Sorry didnt mean to sound catty was just throwing my tow cents in as I know he has just passed his IASI
snow conditions
Fattes13, No problem Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy