Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Compagnie des Alpes reports increase in sales and sells stake in Televerbier

Poster: A snowHead
CdA the largest operator of ski lifts in Europe reports an increase in Sales of +3% for the first 3 quarters of it's year.
(October-June)
Details here
http://www.compagniedesalpes.com/amf_en/CDA%20Q3%20Sales%202008-2009%20and%20sale%20of%20Televerbier.pdf

The details given of the sale of it's stake in Televerbier probably poses more questions than are answered.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boredsurfing, As a regular skier of this area, what do you think it means? I have noticed over the years massive investment in new lifts in Verbier however in nearby Nendaz, Veysonnaz, and Les Collons investment has been piece meal at best. So the tourist offices glorify the 4 valleys ski circus which is great but lift standards across the companies that operate in the region are pretty mixed. Verbier has been a bit of a beacon in the area for lift development which one would have hoped that the other companies would have wanted to copy. Thus if Televerbier is suddendly strapped for cash and investment it could affect the whole region. In Nendaz in particular there has been a lot of property development in recent years, but I don't feel that lift development has kept up with the increase in bed capacity there. I thinks that Veysonnaz and Les Collons also have similar problems. In my book it is no good adding extra bed capacity to resorts without matching increased lift capacity and convenience. The Swiss really seem do not seem to have got their head round this properly. I have sent emails to Telenendaz and the tourist offices to this effect to date without any reply.

Any comments?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Televerbier is a shareholder in Telethyon, although I am not sure what the size of the holding is. The lifts over in the Thyon sector are Ok, the Etherola chair upgrade has made a big difference. The major areas that need to be addressed are the links. The Greppon blanc double poma is the lift most in need of replacement in the Printze sector. It needs to be a high speed quad at least. I have been told that there are several reasons that it has not happened, from high winds in that area to the fact that it borders 2 comunes. There are also a couple of very slow 2 man chairs that need upgrading as well.

That said we have had no real issues with queues except the Greppon Blanc and if the large numbers of T bars keep the hordes away Ill be happy.

I had read somewhere else that the reason CdA sold their stake was not because there were concerns with Televerbier but that they were unlikely to be able to increase their stake.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gilberts Fridge, Good to see somebody else that knows the area well. Personally there are a couple of T-bars, 1 each way over to Veysonnaz which need sorting out. The one up to to Les Collons nearly dislocates one's shoulders on arrival at the top, and on the way back the T-bar is often self help with the attendant sitting in his box doing sweet FA. T-bars are just dangerous bits of kit that should be banned (IMHO). This year in Nendaz it was so different as the link across to Siviez kept open so we only used the Siviez shuttle bus once in a fortnight. Why they cannot get snow canons on to Prarion I'll never understand. I have heard 2 reasons 1) the land owner doesn't want his summer pastures compromised and 2) the environmentalists are worried about disturbing a frog migration route in the area. We are talking about half a dozen snow canons to preserve an important link - where are Swiss tourist and Valais canton authorities coming from. Very Happy
Great area but they don't help themselves much!! Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
T-bars are just dangerous bits of kit that should be banned (IMHO)

Only if your a punter and dont know how to use them properly Smile

High speed lifts suck - they just lead to busier motorway style pistes.
And the off piste getting tracked out faster.

The great things about the Printze sector is that its usually a way quieter than main 4 vallees ski area.
Prinicipally because of the slightly rustic lift system wink

In reality the only real queues are for the Grepon Blanc - and only on busy weeks, so its not actually a big deal.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Haggis_Trap, Take your point on T-bars - hadn't really thought of them in that way before. I wonder if it is conscious decision on the part of the lift companies to keep slopes uncrowded. However it wouldn't really hurt to replace those T-bars with button lifts. May be the theory is that T-bars have twice the capacity of a button lift Puzzled
Actually I am wrong there are 3 T-bars on the Siviez to Thyon sector so we have no. 16 Drus link to Thyon - This is the worst of the lot. Then there is No 20 Tga which is OK providing the attendant gets off his butt from his little cabin to help folks. Though here I have seen folks dragged up the slope with one leg caught round the T-bar mechanism. The one T-bar I had forgotten no 21 Les Chottes - no reason to use this as there is a button lift nearby taking almost a duplicate of this T-bar. There are also at least 3 more T-bars over on the Les Collons sector on on fairly open blue slopes.

Where else (except possibly in Switzerland) will you find a ski area with at least 6 x T-bars, when adjacent 4-valley ski area of Verbier operated by Televerbier seem to have done away with all of them now?

NB like your web site - interesting! wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yup - the contrast between the modern lifts in the Verbier ski area and the Printze sector (Thyon / Veysonaz) is obvious.
The 4 vallees is actually made up of totally seperate lift companies (televerbier, telenedaz and telethyon) - which why that side hasnt been developed.

Funnily enough one of my favourite runs in the alps is the 'Masche' ittenary run from the top of Grepon Blanc.
Often one of the last places you can find fresh snow once the main verbier ski area is tracked out - and north facing as well. Then get the free bus back, and work your way home to Siviez on the 'old' lift system. Cracking way to spend an afternoon and get away from the crowds.

Skiing past the cow sheds then back onto an old t-bar isnt something that you can do anymore in most 'big' resorts (like Tignes, Meribel etc). Which is why I like that end of the 4 valless. It's certainly a world away from the busy Attelas -> Ruinettes motorway pistes wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Televerbier seem to have done away with all of them now?

Not in Bruson and long may it stay that way!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DAVID SNELL, Getting to know it more and more. Have not yet bought a 4 vallees pass as there is still plenty to find in the Printze sector ( and the fact that we ski with our boys in the afternoon).

There is another poma lift, Le Meina, in the Printze sector that Mrs GF hast difficulty getting on unaided as its that fast and hard to pull with one hand. Its a good job I have not pimped the apartment on here given the comments about the lifts, but I do love the area and dont mind the Tbars. The boys use them all on their own now with help from the lifties.

Talking of other areas Im sure the 3 vallees is made up of different lift companies as well
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gilberts Fridge, The trouble with le Meina is that it's a left handed button and a bit fast, but at least you don't get eviscerated if you miss the button Very Happy.
Well I have been doing Nendaz and Verbier since 1986 and I still keep coming back in spite of the T-bars. In fact I learnt on T-bars in Mayrhofen and Lenzerheide many moons ago, and just fancy an easier ride in my late 60's Sad Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DAVID SNELL wrote:
Gilberts Fridge, Good to see somebody else that knows the area well. Personally there are a couple of T-bars, 1 each way over to Veysonnaz which need sorting out. The one up to to Les Collons nearly dislocates one's shoulders on arrival at the top, and on the way back the T-bar is often self help with the attendant sitting in his box doing sweet FA. T-bars are just dangerous bits of kit that should be banned (IMHO). This year in Nendaz it was so different as the link across to Siviez kept open so we only used the Siviez shuttle bus once in a fortnight. Why they cannot get snow canons on to Prarion I'll never understand. I have heard 2 reasons 1) the land owner doesn't want his summer pastures compromised and 2) the environmentalists are worried about disturbing a frog migration route in the area. We are talking about half a dozen snow canons to preserve an important link - where are Swiss tourist and Valais canton authorities coming from. Very Happy
Great area but they don't help themselves much!! Sad

The reason they cant put in snow cannons is that the trees down there are like 700 years old and Friends of the Earth have had a preservation order slapped on them. The digging required to put in the water and power supply to the cannons would damage the roots potentially.

Televerbier want to take over telenendaz, and got close last year when Alpvision, who were I think 25% shareholders, went bust. Local business people managed to stop that happening so the status quo was maintained.

Personally I would like to see TV succeeding as I think they have more dosh to invest. There is decent potential to develop the pistes at Nendaz, I would like to see a bubble to the top or bottom of Plan de Fou.

Something is going to have to give though as there has been a great expansion in accomodation at Nendaz, tastefully done IMO, but the capacity of the lifts is beginning to be a problem.

As others have said I too am a lover of the Printze ski area. Its amusing speaking to so many folk staying in Nendaz who bomb over to the Verbier side every morning, who have never been in the Printze sector in their lives. Not only is the food and drinks almost half price, and queues virtually unknown, runs like Piste de Lours, Veysonnaz, Etherola (the new 4 man is a fantastic develoment) are some of the best pisted runs in the 4V. In fact the main run down from the top at Nendaz is a cracker also.

I know that the hideous 2 man at Siviez that takes you back to Nendaz is programmed in for replacement, possibly next year.

Like the other 2 guys I know the area pretty well - if anyone wants any advice pm me.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fifespud, got on that 2 man up to Nadez last year on my own and thought Id entered the twilight zone, worth it for the red back down though, excellent run
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It is a great run, although two of my buddies bashed into each other on the blue bit at the bottom last year resulting in one of them having to get choppered off with a broken leg.
40 something boys showing off on the last run of the last day! That and tightening up his bindings himself.
Not too long till the white stuff comes again, cant wait!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fifespud wrote:

I know that the hideous 2 man at Siviez that takes you back to Nendaz is programmed in for replacement, possibly next year.

The hideous 2 man chair has now been replaced with an 8 man gondela that goes right to the top. The button lift is still there. That changes the local area completely. The Le Masse chair is now also a 4 man over in Les Collons.

http://www.verbierbooking.ch/multimedia/docs/2013/10/plan_hiver_1314.pdf

Not sure if Evolene is still part of the area or if it has just been cut from the PDF map.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GF - thanks for that - that's a relief - I thought they were only going to put it halfway up - like the old chair.

The new Les Masses chair looks great too.
snow report
*****This thread was started in 2009*****
Very Happy
snow conditions
boredsurfin, a dinnie want tae waist admin's resources wi a new thread yie ken.
snow report
Still no improvement in the 'links' though - the joy that is the Grepon Blanc Poma.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy