Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

new skis from switzerland - import duty ?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm just about to bring back a new pair of skiis bought at the end of last season. I can't say that they're used as they're bare. Have any snowheads been hit with import duty bringing in new skis from switzerland ? if so what are the rates ? I want them here so that I can get them ready for the new season ( c/o spyderjohn hopefully) but will get that sorted in switzerland instead if customs are likely to be mean here
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Although Switzerland aren't in the EC I believe that trade with them is on the same basis so no, there'd be no charges to pay. I regularly ship gear there & there's no charges for goods going in.

Rungsp, EngCH or Parlor would be the experts to ask.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I pay import duty on anything I buy into shitzerland from UK, probably because the pound is worthless muhahaha.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon wrote:
Although Switzerland aren't in the EC I believe that trade with them is on the same basis so no, there'd be no charges to pay.

You have VAT to pay.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof, but won't VAT have already been paid in Switzerland?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nickH, You should have been able to buy the skis vat free in Switzerland for export purposes, they should also give you a recipt with the price you paid on, this should then be shown to customs and excise who will charge you UK vat on them, unless they were rediculously cheap you may also have to pay import duty on them but I'm not sure about that
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
friends of ours who bought stuff in IKEA in Switzerland for their apartment in France had not anticipated the sizeable bill they had to pay at French customs when they brought in a vehicle full of flat pack cartons.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
friends of ours who bought stuff in IKEA in Switzerland for their apartment in France had not anticipated the sizeable bill they had to pay at French customs when they brought in a vehicle full of flat pack cartons.

Yes the French customs are pretty sharp for minivans, they can smell the MDF.

Last time I exported something into Switzerland, from Germany it was VAT free from Germany (don't forget to ask) then VAT and some other duty was applied at the local rate in Switzerland. Same applied in the other direction. So normally going from CH -> EU there will be some VAT to pay and maybe some import duty depending on the tax free limits.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've bought skis and boots in Switzerland in the past and never paid a penny, however they've always been used when I brought them home.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
find a glacier and go skiing Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nickH, to be strictly legit, and assuming you have the receipt you should at least pay the difference between Swiss VAT at 7.6% and UK VAT at 17.5% (if that's the rate now, otherwise, whatever).

And technically, I believe you should pay the French VAT as you pass through France and claim it back as you enter the UK.

But if you're driving up, I'd just wing it. Don't let Masque hear about it though.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
VAT in Switzerland is low 7.6% (lower for food). Its better to pay the VAT in Switzerland as back in the UK you could get charged the UK VAT rate. Technically the UK could ask you to pay the difference but I guess that would be how there feeling.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd have thought technically you'd need to pay VAT and any admin/customs clearance charge but not import duty on goods of that comparatively small value. But if you just stick them in the car or in a ski bag if you're travelling by plane you may be lucky and nobody will bother. If there were 2 of you in the car, chances are the value would be below your combined duty free limit anyway. If you are hit with VAT I very much doubt you'd be credited with the VAT already paid in CH so you would need to be prepared to pay the full 15%
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No no no, If you buy skis in Switzerland and tell them you plan to export them they will sell them to you tax free then wrap the skis and apply a tax free sticker, when you enter the UK you will almost ceratinly be asked to pay the 15% Vat if you are honest, of course if you are not you could remove the plastic wrap, stuff them in a ski bag and just walk through the nothing to declare channel, it depends on your honesty
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
D G Orf, OP, he's already bought them. Shops won't retrospectively remove VAT. However, with receipt, can probably have Swiss VAT removed at the border.

eng_ch, I think you'd have it credited to you.

The limit for importing "unrestricted" goods going into Switzerland is 300 CHF. Over that for a single item you get charged on the whole value. A pair of skis counts as a single item. No idea what the limits are in the other direction.
ski holidays
under a new name, I know he's already bought them, but shop may have already removed vat, if not he might be able to get a refund at border but I doubt it
snow conditions
I thought there were no custom duties for Swiss goods? Didn't the Swiss sign the trade agreement with the EC? I could be wrong though....

Do you not have a ski bag you can put them in? They won't search the ski bag surely.... And even then you can just say it was a gift?
ski holidays
You will have to pay UK VAT on them at 15%, even if swiss vat has been paid on them. There are minimum values under which uk customs will not charge, but its not very high.

Goods travelling through EU from non EU country have VAT paid on them at their final EU destination rate, so need to prove final destination or you may have to pay.

This may be useful, explains it better than uk customs!

http://www.brighton-accountants.com/blog/vat-uk-switzerland/
snow conditions
D G Orf, ah, yes, of course I expect you're quite right. If it works the same way as the other direction, need to fill out a detax form at the shop - they may allow this to happen after the fact.
snow report
I,ve bought loads of stuff back from Switzerland to Holland (weekly basis) and even now Switzerland is in Schengen we have customs officers greeting the plane at the actual Gate in Schiphol when we disembark. I,ve been stopped & turned over a few times but never had to pay VAT when i,ve showed receipts of VAT paid in Switzerland. Very Happy
From my experience (witnessing) customs are looking for nationals importing/exporting large somes of Cash & not for minor VAT infringements on personal belongings.

Tip. For skis is to pack an old ski/boot bag & use them to transport your new skis/boots back Very Happy
ski holidays
stanton, Schengen has nothing to do with import restrictions.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
stanton, Schengen has nothing to do with import restrictions.

I know, but Swiss flights now get gated in the Schengen part of Schiphol & the Dutch Douane still meet & greet the plane at the gate (whereas you would normally just walk straight out the airport) .
snow report
Customs and immigration are two completely separate departments.
latest report
stanton, Don't know about netherlands, but UK customs can be a right pain at times with personal goods and wanting to charge import duty and uk vat on persons arriving from a non eu country. (experience from living in a non eu place Very Happy ) Walking through the green channel with a ski bag in the middle of summer could get some bored customs bod interested.......
snow report
thanks all - it's all left me somewhat confused ! I was intending to stuff them in a ski bag ( new regrettably) & just walk through but would like to know what I could be up for 'worst case'.As i'll be flying back with them, the french'll not get a chance for their bite.

The skis were purchased over the phone from stockli direct , and as receipts are still with my friend in switzerland I've no idea if swiss vat paid, but would guess so. They are also without bindings so difficult to play on them before i bring them back, much as I'd love to.

that bored customs officer worries me, though hopefully I'll arrive at the same time as a planeload of holidaymakers back from spain wheeling suitcases full of duty free.......
latest report
Trouble is that you'd probably get away with it in winter time, in teh summer you are going to stand out with a ski bag so they may well want to check the contents
snow conditions
D G Orf, true, & that's the worry - might think about delaying the trip a few months 'till there's more ski bags about the airport.
Do want to get them to spyderjon for bindings though & then home so that I can look at them & dream !!
snow report
nickH, why wait for Jon to fit bindings? I'd have them mounted and be playing on them myself, then almost certainly no issues taking back to UK... Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nickH, Don't worry about it. Truth is you should pay VAT and Duty on the skis entering the UK but in reality when you arrive back at a UK airport the chances are you will not be stoped for a pair of skis. HMRC have bigger fish to fry than a guy bringing skis in for personal use.
snow report
under a new name, true, but already have a weekend in sept booked to go & pick them up - could change that 'till later in year & allow time to get bindings fitted there & to ski on them, but budget limited & am saving for my january trip to italy & want my skis with me for that.

kiwi1, yeh, but you know how it always seems to be the little guy that cops the s**t whilst the big baddies get away with everything.

ps, no consolation, but if I'd not already bought these by the time you had your ski sale, I'd have been very much after a pair of the pilgrims - pity the quiver ( read budget) is only big enough for one pair !
snow conditions
nickH, No worries. Blush
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy