Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice please for newbie family living near Manchester

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We have friends of friends using our apartment at February half term - but flying Monday/Monday to save loads of money. Father skied once long ago on a school holiday, mum says she can "snowplough and fall over a lot", 2 boys 6 and 11 who have never seen more than an inch of snow. I think they're quite an adventurous family.

I can advise them about the other end, but would appreciate some local knowledge on the Manchester snowdome - they are thinking of having a few lessons. They need to keep costs down, so given the ages and slightly different starting points, what would be the best way of their spending their precious money at the Snowdome, to give them a bit of a head start? They are talking about "family lessons" but I'm aware they're not always the best bet.

They will arrive out there too late to join group lessons (which would be in French anyway), but I will be able to find a "sympa" instructor who would be able to do some kind of "mix and match" lessons in Les Saisies at lunchtime (there are no other times for private lessons in school holiday time, other than their final Saturday, which could be their best day on the slopes).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Courses at the Chill Factore last three lessons. You can do them all on the same day or spread them over three weeks at the same time on the same day - same price, IIRC. Obviously, doing it all in one day is fairly tiring but should be no problem if they're all reasonably fit. It's broken up into three lessons with a descent break in between. You are pretty much guaranteed to have the same instructor all the time (and quite possibly me on shadowing duty - if you tip me the wink). Spreading it over three weeks is less effort on the legs but obviously involves more traveling and, IMHO, not quite as satisfying as it's harder to see the progress. They try to keep the same instructor but that's not guaranteed.

This is going to be quite expensive for four but I'd look at it as getting more value out of the holiday.

The cheaper option is just to go for a 'taster session' but there's no such thing as a second taster so you'd then have to start on a course at the beginning.

Whatever, definitely go now while it's quiet and you've more chance of being in a group with no one else.

Tell 'em to buy ski socks before they start and to wear descent gloves and something warm - it's -2 degrees in there.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, what altis says but a couple of other options too, one is that at the moment Chillfactore have a private lesson special on for up to 4 people for £99 which is not bad. Also for the kids there is the option of the Saturday morning kids clubs which I think are superb value for money compared to the other lessons, only bit of a downside is that they have to join as members in order to be able to do the kids club lessons which makes the initial outlay more. There is a really good bunch of instructors working with the kids groups on saturdays. My son has been in the kids club there for most of this year and has made great progress.
The beginner's courses they can do all together as they take kids from age 6 in them but I would have thought doing it all in one day might be a bit much for the 6 year old.
I agree with altis, it is quiet up there at the moment and the groups are smaller than they are in the season. Definitely go sooner rather than later!
They can hire the clothing there if they haven't got it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
altis, sarah, thanks very much. I'll pass on that advice. the kids club sounds very good - I'm not sure quite how close they are, or whether that would be practical for them, but they'll be able to look into it.

'altis, do you work there full-time?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
altis, are there not any group beginner classes for kids run over the school holidays, say this summer at half term or over Christmas hols? If so that would be a better option for the kids, leaving the parents to do the beginner course.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, I'm on my 2nd lot of 35 hours of shadowing now towards BASI Alpine L2 so I'm in there from time to time - unpaid!

Next time I'm in, I'll check up exactly what's on offer at the moment.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Next time I'm in, I'll check up exactly what's on offer at the moment.

altis, thanks. Your help is much appreciated. snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, like beanie1 suggests, they do offer holiday courses AFAIK, I think it's over 2 days with an am and pm slot each day. My goddaughter was doing to do this prior to a school trip next year but she may do the kids club instead as it is much better value (even taking into account the membership fee) if you end up doing more than 6 hours of lessons, you also then get discount on any other lessons and lift passes. The website is quite useful for looking at the different options and comparing the costs.

altis do you do much of your shadowing with the kids club? Might have met you up there snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you want to save £££,s wouldnt count out Ski Rossendale on the snowflex.Taster lessons are extremely good value.Private lessons are even better value when taken as a family and are an excellent way of introducing the family to the basics followed by a trip to chill factore once the basics have been mastered.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sarah wrote:
altis do you do much of your shadowing with the kids club? Might have met you up there snowHead
No, I've never done a kids club. Go on, convince me that it would be a good idea!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hedley, thanks - we'll look into that. It would certainly be a lot cheaper. I'll send them the link. They're going to find the holiday much more enjoyable and easier to organise if they can all manage an easy drag and nursery slope.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, They could also check out the costs at Castleford, it doesn't take that long to drive over.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi,

my two chidren and I learnt to ski at Runcorn dry ski slope. The instruction was first class, and I think they will get more for their money than at chill factor.

Don`t get me wrong, I love chill factor, but it may be a bit too high tech for what they want.

Once they have got the basics, snowplough turns etc on a dry ski slope, they will find it a pleasant surprise how much easier it is on real snow, which will be great for the confidence of all concerned. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One thing to remember is that on this particular trip the OP will not be able to join in beginners group lessons on their holiday due to their arrival day, therefore really important they are at least able to link turns from the top of the main slope before they go, get a few practice sessions in, otherwise they're not going to get much from their holiday! Then a few private lessons in resort, or as many as the budget allows.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
beanie1, because the group lessons in Les Saisies are invariably in French, as the overwhelming majority of the clientele is French, the group lessons wouldn't be too useful for them, even if they were arriving on Saturday. So yes, it's vital that they can manage a simple slope (of which there are several, with very nice gentle progressions for later in the week) before they go. I'll need to see how well they get on with their lessons before advising them on how to manage their time in resort - they started off with the idea of "family lessons" in the morning and other activities in the afternoon, but apart from the difficulty of "family lessons" the private lessons in that busy time are all at lunchtime. They might be able to do an "engagement" each morning, and we know several highly suitable instructors, but that would be a very expensive solution - I'm going to have to make some discreet enquiries about their budget.

Arriving and leaving on a Monday will certainly make the process of hiring boots etc. a lot more painless.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy