Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Am I ready for something stiffer and longer?

Poster: A snowHead
And not only because I couldn't resist the innuendo of the thread title Laughing It's summer too and we've run out of things to chat about I think.

It's nearly 4 weeks on the snow now since I cracked the confidence issue in VT. I'm still on my 160 Elan WaveMagics, I'm wondering if I am ready for something stiffer and longer - say 170?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Almost certainly not - do you reach such speeds or ski on chunky surfaces that your skis flop around like wet noodles? If not concentrate on getting there rather than shiny new kit.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, ??? Seriously I am 6 feet 16 stone and am on 170 what are you planning on doing

Get a nice pair of slalom skis and practice turning circles Bigger is not alwasy better
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Long skis make you look pro. That's all you need to consider.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go for it! A pair of race department GS skis (185cm, and stiff as a stiff thing) will certainly add a measure of adrenalin to your skiing Smile

More seriously, I hardly ever trouble the speed limit of any ski I'm on, so I'd guess you've got a fair way to travel before you outgrow your Elans. If you're looking to spend some money on improving your skiing experience I'd say (I guess I would, wouldn't I Wink) that tuition is more likely to make a significant difference than changing skis.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well I don't know if its down to lack of technique or the softer flex of the skis or a bit of both, but I have been very conscious during higher speed shooshes that the skis seem to 'patter' or move around - its very disconcerting and I think it may have contributed to catching an edge and taking a tumble on one occasion. All I know is it didn't happen when I tried the Rossignol RX OS (though only at 160cm) and I did wonder if this was because of the extra stiffness.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum wrote:
Well I don't know if its down to lack of technique or the softer flex of the skis or a bit of both, but I have been very conscious during higher speed shooshes that the skis seem to 'patter' or move around

If you keep your skis on an edge they are much less likely to move around underneath you, but if you're skiing anything other than a perfectly smooth piste your skis will be deflected to a certain extent by lumps and bumps and undulations in the snow. It's perfectly normal and I'd be surprised if it's happening because your speed is over-powering the skis.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Having used the Elan's myself on several testsm I would say you have a while to go before you need to change them.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar wrote:
If you're looking to spend some money on improving your skiing experience I'd say that tuition is more likely to make a significant difference than changing skis.

As long as you're not being taught by some Welsh joker wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob, I've never heard him tell a joke! wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mosha Marc wrote:
fatbob, I've never heard him tell a joke! wink

and I've lived in London longer than I lived in Wales so I think I fail on both counts Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stick with the skis. Sadly I can't offer any advice on the pint.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What rob@rar, said.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, despite the evident aural evidence to the contrary.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MM - if they are moving round you are probably skiing them too flat. Crank 'em over. If you get to the point where you are out-skiing your skis you no longer need to ask advice Laughing

As regards the innuendo... fnarr fnarr hoot gurgle choke splutter fnarr fnarr Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
And not only because I couldn't resist the innuendo of the thread title Laughing It's summer too and we've run out of things to chat about I think.

It's nearly 4 weeks on the snow now since I cracked the confidence issue in VT. I'm still on my 160 Elan WaveMagics, I'm wondering if I am ready for something stiffer and longer - say 170?

Be Nice please! no
ski holidays
maybe you're ready for something stiffer, longer AND wider darlin??!! Laughing Laughing

Megamum, realistically it will be a long time before you outgrow those skis (unless you O.D. on pies suddenly!), and niggles with skis for pretty much all of us can usually be put down to our incapabilities rather the the skis! That said - never resist the urge to buy new skis, dont fight it!!

Now that you're moving along nicely, you'll be better able to distinguish what you like and dont like and what "feels" right for your skiing, so go along to one of the test days if you can and try out a few different set ups - real time comparisons are a huge help. Dont be afraid to try the longest widest meanest stiffest beasts on offer - usually a hoot in a dome!!
Go for it.
latest report
To put a more serious slant on things, you don't need to go stiffer *and* longer, although you can of course if that's what you want. Go for stiffer first, and longer if you think you can handle it.

For a few years, I skiied on 165cm pocket rockets - for a chap of 177cm, they're quite short, but I liked them. They're renowned as soft skis (the nickname "supernoodles" has a firm basis!), but I didn;t mind as that made them easy to get on the edge for such wide skis. I didn;t have any problems keeping up with friends when skiing, and I remember on the first EOSB Lord whitenoise was most upset that on my incy-wincy little 165cm skis I was overtaking him on his 175cm pocket rockets.

I then moved to 169cm Movement flames. Much stiffer, and noticeably longer as the PRs are twin-tips so have a shorter running length. The difference was phenomenal. Suddenly I felt much more confident at speed, the skis weren't chattering about all over the place, and I could do nice short turns as well as big carves. I liked them so much that I then bought some 183 cm Movement gladiators, which are in essence bigger fatter versions. In Utah they were absolutely brilliant, perfect when skiing powder and trees, and more than competent on piste. IN VT for the EOSB though, I did struggle a bit - they were great in the soft snow and the powder, but they weren't half hard work on the hardpack.

so, go stiffer, but think very carefully about going longer. If you;re keen to do it, I can do you a great deal on some 2008 169cm Movement flames, only skiied 12 days....

Laughing
snow report
nbt, i have a couple of pairs of the Glads and find them fine on hardpack, though that might be something to do with the fact that i'm a svelte 18 stones rolling eyes
latest report
Megamum, No
snow report
I agree that Gladiators aren't fine on hardpack..

I mean they wont trip you up...just that there are way way better skis to ponce around on.. but they do initialise in deep stuff pretty quickly so they are quickly forgiven.. but a carving ski they aren't..IMV
ski holidays
Megamum, The only reason you would need to go longer and stiffer is 1) For personal Satisfaction 2) If you are doing the Eurotest or some GS Race training. Work on your technique and forget about having all the gear and no idea

Skis you are on are incredible, big fan of Elans, just work on your skiing and when you do your Eurotesst you can go longer and stiffer or if you just get lucky on a sat night Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Megamum, I thought you were looking after your pennies? Spend them instead on a coaching clinic with Rob & Skimottaret snowHead
snow report
I'm only 11 stone, if I were heavier they'd be a great one-ski quiver, as it is they're a bit too much for me. Can do a good deal on Gladiators for anyone who's interested. Would like to find some compromise between the two
ski holidays
Ordhan wrote:
Megamum, ??? Seriously I am 6 feet 16 stone and am on 170 what are you planning on doing

Bah humbug I'm 5 7/8 & about 12 stone. I ski 185's i'd have bought the skis i have in 190-193 but they only came in 185 or 198. If you're happy with the skis you have but feel you could do with some more challenging skis that are more stable at speed & off piste then consider the 170's.
latest report
frank4short wrote:
If you're happy with the skis

... don't let anyone tell you how long, how stiff or how wide you want it!

Don't let some silly man push you around just because he's intimidated by a lady who likes a big one. wink

Would you let a stranger (man) in the internet tell you which shoes to buy?
ski holidays
Alexandra wrote:

If he was a shoe expert it might be a good idea to follow his advice Wink
snow report
Quote:

I think we take a lot of notice of CEM and SZK in that department too!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
He can be as much an expert as he likes, but only megamum will know how it feels. She is the "magic in it" if we're referring to size of wand...

Colin B, granted - but I was thinking something more along the lines of strappy and ridiculous... although there were those rumours... wink
snow report
Alexandra wrote:
He can be as much an expert as he likes, but only megamum will know how it feels.

You're right, she should buy a new pair. As it happens I should be able to get hold of a range of ex-demo (but in good condition) Salomon skis which I could sell at a very reasonable price to anyone who wants to top up their quiver.
snow report
Quote:

Colin B, granted - but I was thinking something more along the lines of strappy and ridiculous... although there were those rumours...

Try this thread then
snow conditions
Alexandra wrote:
... don't let anyone tell you how long, how stiff or how wide you want it!
Don't let some silly man push you around just because he's intimidated by a lady who likes a big one. wink

Er - perhaps you would listen to people for whom you have asked their opinion, who know what they're talking about and have seen you ski? Just a crazy thought Confused
snow report
Alexandra, You go girlfriend wink
ski holidays
cathy, Laughing
ski holidays
Okay then... I guess that would explain why some feel the need to ask around these parts which sandals to buy or which party outfit! Shocked

No need to attempt to be quite so caustic cathy - this isn't school.
ski holidays
I didn't get the PM stating that only "real-life friends" should respond to queries posted by members. Please can admin re-send? Thanks! x
ski holidays
Quote:

quite so caustic cathy

Alexandra, to be fair it was you that introduced a somewhat negative note into the thread by implying that only some kind of airhead would seek advice on the internet about which skis to choose. You might not have meant it to come over like that, but....

There are plenty of really good and experienced skiers - with a lot more skiing under their belt than Megamum, who seek advice of that kind. And usually get a whole of interested - and often contradictory - opinions to help them make a decision.

One of the great things about snowheads is that no matter how basic the question, you get sensible answers. Might get some daft ones too, but that's life.
snow report
Alexandra wrote:
Okay then... I guess that would explain why some feel the need to ask around these parts which sandals to buy or which party outfit! Shocked

No need to attempt to be quite so caustic cathy - this isn't school.

errr... who is being caustic here? Puzzled

wot Pam W says...

Megamum - spend the dosh on lessons, shoes and goats - then try swapping skis with someone who skis on longer skis than you at the next bash - or demo a longer rental pair for a day.
ski holidays
Yes.
snow report
Thanks for all the comments folks. I guess I like a challenge, now I'm up and going, though still with a huge amount to learn about advanced technique and more difficult conditions the WaveMagics are skiing easily for me. It's a bit like challenge of the next difficult bit of slope to be encountered (or in finding the confidence to begin with), I'm just starting to wonder about to possibility of bigger and better skis. I tried some big planks at HH - some were harder to control than others, though I think its still a small small slope to really get a feel for a pair, but they did present a challenge and it made the skiing much more interesting - they forced me to think about what I was doing - if I didn't get it right, they soon let me know - I guess they forced me to improve the way I skied and made me think about what I was doing, where as the WaveMagic are very forgiving - I'd want the WM's on tricky slopes, but it would be interesting to ski something more challenging on an easier slope. It just made me wonder whether I should go up a grade, hence the thread - but at this moment it is just a 'wonder' I was just interested in what people would have to say. I've found the responses interesting - thanks snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy