Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

US Public and schools holidays 2010

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi can anyone tell me what dates are US holidays in Feb and Mar next year. Want to make a first visit to Colorado (not sure where yet) and would like to steer clear of the busiest dates. Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nigels, Feb 16th Presidents Day - falls on a Monday next season, and apparently the week will be busy Smile Spring Break can be mostly after Mid March IIRC, and different states and counties can be off at different times. St. Paddys is big over there, have been in Aspen twice on St.Paddys - pretty busy but fun. Dont think anywhere will be as busy as Europe during their holiday times - you may get lift queues Shocked and they might be for as long as 15 mins or so Madeye-Smiley

Any time Mid Feb ( After Presidents day ) to Mid March should be good Smile Enjoy !!

No doubt someone from there will have more info Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
busiest two times are NY holidays and Presidents week, Avoid those and in general you're fine. Will be localized events that might make a particular hill busy (like a freestyle comp, X Games, etc), but they're well publicized on web sites.

Superbowl weekend is one of my faves to ski - deserted Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nigels, some of it may be dependent on how far up the road you are from Denver. Different hills get different patterns of activity. Otherwise what Bones says.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

you may get lift queues ...and they might be for as long as 15 mins or so

15 minutes!!! I haven't queued in Europe for 15 minutes since one afternoon in about 1989 when the lifts in Mottaret had been closed for snow all day and they opened for a final hour of the day at 3 pm. Though I gather queues in the US are a lot better behaved.

Actually, thinking about it, I did queue for a lot longer than that one day in Chamonix about 10 years ago - low season too. You live and learn.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, you've obviously never lined up for the tram at Jackson or Snowbird on a powder day .... I've had 15 mins in St Anton, Ischgl getting out of the base areas, a lot more in Val D'Isere/Tignes. bad queues happen everywhere occasionally, and in some places frequently.

but in the US Presidents Weekend is the one weekend a year when it might happen. Rule of thumb, as anywhere when's its busy, get up the hill early. If you do, you pretty much never wait.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bones wrote:
nigels, Feb 16th Presidents Day - falls on a Monday next season, and apparently the week will be busy Smile Spring Break can be mostly after Mid March IIRC, and different states and counties can be off at different times. St. Paddys is big over there, have been in Aspen twice on St.Paddys - pretty busy but fun. Dont think anywhere will be as busy as Europe during their holiday times - you may get lift queues Shocked and they might be for as long as 15 mins or so Madeye-Smiley

Any time Mid Feb ( After Presidents day ) to Mid March should be good Smile Enjoy !!

No doubt someone from there will have more info Smile

You first statement is correct. The whole week following Presidents Day (2/16-23) is usually the busiest week besides Christmast! So if you have the choice, avoid the 3rd week of Feb also.

BTW, Presidents Day ALWAYS falls on a Monday, not just next season. Wink

The rest of Feb and all of March are pretty similar. Busy but not madness. After March 31, it tend to get really, really quiet, with good snow cover and longer and warmer days, pratically much of the Rockies.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gortonator, abc, thanks for the feedback. Looks like we are planning to head out to arrive the weekend of 2/22 then. I assume no danger of two weeks from 2/22 being too late to get the best of conditions? We haven't skied Colorado, so I would also appreciate your views on whether to spend the whole 2 weeks based in Brekenridge (and do day trips to the surrounding areas) or should we spilt the trip and do 1 week there and 1 week somewhere else?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nigels, Breck doesn't excite me, I'm afraid, but guess it depends on your ability. It is easy to check out other places tho. Vail/Beaver gets much better (and more) snow, think Winter Park/Mary Jane do too, and Aspen has some wonderful terrain across it's 4 hills. I've only really skied these places in late Jan and early Feb, and conditions everywhere were great - deluged in pow everywhere. And it was extremely quiet on hill. Includes one memorable 15 inch powder at Aspen, blue sky, cold, and SuperBowl Sunday - us and about 100 other people. Did we have fun that day Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
nigels wrote:
[bWe haven't skied Colorado, so I would also appreciate your views on whether to spend the whole 2 weeks based in Brekenridge (and do day trips to the surrounding areas) or should we spilt the trip and do 1 week there and 1 week somewhere else?

That question can't be answered without knowing your critiria/preference.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy