Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any new lifts for 2009/2010?

Poster: A snowHead
More to the point, any new lifts opening up new terrain anywhere?

Most of the lift projects in the Alps at the moment merely seem to be upgrading existing lifts to offer more capacity.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We're in Saalbach this week. No 'new' lifts, but there are a couple of upgrades going on. The beginners area next to the Kohlmais gondola is getting a chair (think it was a poma/drag?). In Hinterglemm the chair next to the Sportalm at the top of the Reiterkogel gondola is being re-built as an 8-man bubble chair. Crikey.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chrisdavis, what's a bubble chair? (Going to Hinterglemm next year Cool .)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

think it was a poma/drag

chrisdavis - It has been until now a T-bar. I'm surprised that they thought it needed a chair, although a beginner would no doubt disagree. I would rather have seen an upgrade to the T-bar on top of the Bernkogel or that old 2 seater chair that links with the Reiterkogel. Maybe next year. Hope that the new chair doesn't look too much of an eyesore compared with the old T-bar. By the way, have a great time, and say hello to Bobby!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
maggi wrote:

A new innovation where they mix gondolas with chairs on the same lift, so you can take two separate queues depending if you want to hop on a gondola or ski onto a chair. THere are quite a few of these springing up over the Alps.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
geepee, ah, yes, thanks, I know the ones you mean! Haven't heard them called that though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Marmot Basin.

No new (AFAIK) terrain but the longest express quad in the Albertan Canadian Rockies.

Funnily enough called the Canadian Rockies Express. Being assembled now.

Should be well shook down before I freeze my @rse to the seat.

John.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Re-doing the Rendlbahn in St Anton, moving the base station a little nearer the Galzigbahn whilst they're at it so will remove the need for a bus/tow to get over there. Be interesting to see if it brings more people over to the Rendl slopes, tended to just be seasonnaires over there mostly.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tatman's Tours wrote:
Quote:

think it was a poma/drag

chrisdavis - It has been until now a T-bar. I'm surprised that they thought it needed a chair, although a beginner would no doubt disagree. I would rather have seen an upgrade to the T-bar on top of the Bernkogel or that old 2 seater chair that links with the Reiterkogel. Maybe next year. Hope that the new chair doesn't look too much of an eyesore compared with the old T-bar. By the way, have a great time, and say hello to Bobby!

There may be other work going on...that's all we've noticed while we've been up walking.

We've been rubbing shoulders with some of The Austrian Ski and Snowboard squads at the gym in Saalfelden we've been using. They are doing some scary things with weights......and tightropes Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

There may be other work going on

They cost a bit don't they?! Copied from www.saalbach.com:
News for Winter 09/10:

Three (!) new lifts will be built this summer:

Turm 6-er replaces Turmlift:
6-er chairlift with orange panorama bubbles, heated seats and safety loops.
Investment volume: approx. 5,000,000 EUR

8-er Hasenauerköpfl replaces 4-er Hasenauerköpfl:
8-er chairlift with bubbles, heated seats,...
Investment volume: approx. 7,000,000 EUR

4-er SL Almbahn replaces Almlift (T-bar-lift) in Leogang:
4er chairlift
Investment volume: approx. 1,400,000 EUR

Additionally the lift companies will invest in vehicles, piste bashers, snow making, etc.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
geepee wrote:
maggi wrote:

A new innovation where they mix gondolas with chairs on the same lift, so you can take two separate queues depending if you want to hop on a gondola or ski onto a chair. THere are quite a few of these springing up over the Alps.

Are you sure that is what he meant?

Those are usually called "chondolas" (horrible name), while what I have more commonly heard called "bubble chairs" are the chairlifts with closable covers.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
According to last year's piste map there will be a new 6 man chair in the Ellmau section of the Ski Welt, going from part way down run 88 to the top of the Hartkaiser.

That will mean people who don't like drags (88 is a T bar) can use the top part of that run, or people who use the drag will be able to return to the Hartkaiser more easily, because you currently have to use a very shallow slope to lift 96 - many people have to pole part of it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would agree with Alex here... Bubble chairs are normal chair lifts which have option to close plastic cover (bubble) in case of bad/windy weather. It's something like this: http://www.skifidelity.at/easycontent.at_cms/filepool/images/m3.jpg I know it's not best photo, but I can't find anything better at the moment.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There was a comment on another thread about the Roseal (sp) chair in the 4th valley of 3V being replaced by a 6pack - can't see the reason.

Also in the 3V the slow 2 man out of Reberty, Etlele is being replaced with a chair, I believe starting lower and going higher but to a different spot, don't know what it means for the black Etele run?

Another 3V one I saw a note on the SKGB site saying that they're would be a new detachable chair between C1850 area and C1650 area, couldn't find anything on the Courchevel site, does this mean that they're replacing Praumel (sp) and Roc Mugner (sp)?

edited once for bad grammar

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 6-08-09 12:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is some building going on in the Espace Diamant (lifts and snow making), but no new territory as far as I am aware. Various "new territory" things have been under discussion for some time but there are major environmental hurdles - rightly - as well as financial ones. It astonishes me how much they are spending, in such difficult times. The skiing aspects of the domain seem to be doing fine, actually - I suspect it's more the restaurants and other beneficiaries of the spending on "holiday extras" which are feeling the pinch.
snow conditions
stevew, Yes, they're replacing the Roc Mugnier (and, I think extending it a few metres). They are removing Pramaruel (the slow chair that used to close for lunch!) and the poma at Combes. Interesting to see if it increases use of 1650 - which is normally very pleasantly quiet.
snow conditions
Stevew - yep they are replacing the Rosael which is the lift out of the Orelle valley back to VT. Saw it last week - the old one has gone and they are in the middle of putting the new one in.
ski holidays
In les arcs they're upgrading the arpette lift and getting rid of col de frettes, won't open up new areas but will improve the ease of dropping over the ridge into 2000

Being kings of the drivel on last season's snow report thread - we've created a whole thread relevant to this upgrade - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=52299
snow report
and in La Plagne 3 or is it 4 new lifts are being built or moved and replaced as well as many pistes being re-contoured
thee ia thread here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=52032&
and much more detail here www.perso-laplagne.fr
snow report
Sitter wrote:
Re-doing the Rendlbahn in St Anton, moving the base station a little nearer the Galzigbahn whilst they're at it so will remove the need for a bus/tow to get over there. Be interesting to see if it brings more people over to the Rendl slopes, tended to just be seasonnaires over there mostly.

i hope not its nice n quiet up there ...
Is that peak to peak thing in whistler working yet?
snow conditions
It is hard to believe how much money they spend on new lifts in Salzburg region, Austria.
New lifts in Zauchensee, Flachau, Saalbach, Zell am See, Wagrain, Bad Gastein, Maria Alm, etc.
snow conditions
kerekip wrote:
It is hard to believe how much money they spend on new lifts in Salzburg region, Austria.
New lifts in Zauchensee, Flachau, Saalbach, Zell am See, Wagrain, Bad Gastein, Maria Alm, etc.

Particlarly since (if what I was told last year is correct), in Austria they are not generally allowed to create truly new lifts unless they can justify them on grounds such a health & safety (e.g. if it will clear up particular bottlenecks which lead to overcrowded pistes in specific areas).

Which means most of what they are doing is upgrades/replacements/extensions of existing lifts.
snow conditions
http://www.lift-world.info/en/lifts/new_lifts/page1.htm

http://www.seilbahn.net/snn/projekte.php?wert=21
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
kerekip wrote:

Particlarly since (if what I was told last year is correct), in Austria they are not generally allowed to create truly new lifts unless they can justify them on grounds such a health & safety (e.g. if it will clear up particular bottlenecks which lead to overcrowded pistes in specific areas).

Which means most of what they are doing is upgrades/replacements/extensions of existing lifts.

Last year they did build a completely new lift in Bad Gastein (the Senderbahn) to take people from Angertal Ski Centre up the Stubnerkogel. They did this to allow better movement of skiers around the mountain and it worked a treat. Before they built this lift, there was no direct lift from Angertal up to the Stubnerkogel summit.

This year, they're upgrading the Stubnerkogel Bahn which is the main lift in Bad Gastein. Anyone who's been skiing here will know this lift. They're changing everything by the sounds of it, larger cars, lower pylons, etc. They're hoping that the new lift won't get affected by the wind as much as the old one. I've not been out there this summer so I only have info from the net - anyone been there this summer and seen what theyre doing? Speedster, you been out to your place?

Cheers
Kersh
snow report
If anyone happens to know where the French take their old pomas to be scrapped I'd be very interested to find out.

Our club is always on the look out for second hand spares so if you live near a Poma scrapyard tell me about it snowHead
ski holidays
Peter S, one being dismantled in Les Saisies, and replaced by a chair lift is being re-built in a location where it can provide "overspill" capacity to ease a bottleneck which tends to build up in peak holiday weeks at one of the essential chairs bringing skiers back from Notre Dame de Bellecombe. They'll only open it in peak weeks (there are several drag lifts like that; rarely used spare capacity). The last dismantled chairlift was re-used too (at least, the seats did) so it's good that there is some recycling going on. But if I come across a Poma graveyard, I'll let you know....
snow report
Thanks Pam. Given the wholesale removal of poma drag lifts and their replacement each year with chairlifts, there must be somewhere they go before being put back into the blast furnace.
latest report
Peter S, don't they go to Italy and when they have finished with them Bulgaria? wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter S wrote:
If anyone happens to know where the French take their old pomas to be scrapped I'd be very interested to find out.

Our club is always on the look out for second hand spares so if you live near a Poma scrapyard tell me about it snowHead

I was skiing in Argentina two summers ago and in one of the resorts the lift was the old bubble car that used to run up from Courchevel 1300 some years ago.

From what I recall the whole system had ben shipped over including pylons, cables and the bubbles. I am not sure about the buildings but no doubt the machinery was from the old system.

The bubbles are small compared to newer lifts and it did seem a bit strange to be sitting in a lift in Argentina that I had used before in France.
snow report
alex_heney wrote:
Are you sure that is what he meant?

Those are usually called "chondolas" (horrible name), while what I have more commonly heard called "bubble chairs" are the chairlifts with closable covers.

That's the one.
snow conditions
kerekip wrote:

Thats because austria is brilliant and they belive that by offering new, shiny, comfy, reliable, facilities people will go there..
snow conditions
Arno, And after Bulgaria ...... Switzerland!
latest report
stanton wrote:
http://www.lift-world.info/en/lifts/new_lifts/page1.htm

[pedant=on]

Not that relevant - it seems to be lift projects that were completed in '08 for season '08/09 whereas this thread is all about lifts being completed in '09 for season 09/10.

[/pedant=on]
snow report
bertie bassett wrote:
Not that relevant - it seems to be lift projects that were completed in '08 for season '08/09 whereas this thread is all about lifts being completed in '09

Read the site, its that not difficult to understand even if you do not understand German.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
bertie bassett wrote:
Not that relevant - it seems to be lift projects that were completed in '08 for season '08/09 whereas this thread is all about lifts being completed in '09

Read the site, its that not difficult to understand even if you do not understand German.

I did find the right page eventually, stanton is being the pedant here as he could have provided the right link!

What I found amusing was this entry for Tignes...

Place Ski resort Name of lift Country Type Lift manufacturer Year of construction Project-Status
tignes ???? ??-???? ???? ???? unconfirmed
ski holidays
Some lifts in the Salzburg region (skiamde) are being put in to 'prep' for next years' new lifts...

From Flachau/Wagrain in 2010/11 there will be a cable car running from the mid station of the mozart lift to the Wagrain side of the mountain (Graffenburg).

So to prep for this they are re-building the gondola station in Wagrain and puttin gin a new chair lift rather than a mid-station in the exisitng gondola.
This means you can get the chair up, ski down to the cable car and then shoot accross the valley to Flachau.

This will then open up Flachau and Wagrain/Alpendorf... then there is a shuttle bus between Wagrain and Kleinarl... which links to Flahcau Winkl... and here they are upgrading the gondola and chair that take you from Flachau Winkl up to Zauchensee.

And.... Radstadt is finally getting an apres ski bar at the bottom of the lift! Lets hope it isn't as bad as the old one!!
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
bertie bassett wrote:

I see that the webmaster is a fan of innovative 70s Krautrock. He's put the logo for his favourite band next to each line.
snow report
There is also the replacement of the cable car at Chamrousse - details can be found from the below websites:

http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=6644&st=120
http://picasaweb.google.fr/com.chamrousse/TravauxTelecabineDeLaCroix2009?feat=directlink#

Thanks
Nick
snow report
Rendlbahn (St Anton) and Muggengratbahn (Zurs) being replaced. From Stanton's comments in another thread, it appears that the only new lift allowed in Austria are those that got permits a while ago, or are replacements.
ski holidays
Zermatts extending the Matterhorn-Express so it runs all the way through to trocknersteg, replacing the need to ski from schwarzee to the chair at furg. Basically replacing that well old blue cable car they used to have.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy