Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Refreshers

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know when the requirement for doing a refresher course at ISIA level changed from being once every three years to every year?

Also being as I work at a slope where a refresher will be done and the basi refresher is listed as "including slope fees" has anyone been in this situation and managed to get the "slope fees" element of the cost waived?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skir67, i could be wrong but i heard for ISIA it is 2 days every two years, so if you do a multi day course every other year that counts.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i understand it the same way as skimottaret.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Once you get to Level 3 are there any courses other than the standard 1-day refresher course available? If you're not going to go forward to Level 4 it would be nice if you had a wider choice of stuff that you could select from.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, i was thinking that the shorter coaching (course setting) or adaptive modules (visual Impairment) would be appropriate but now that Adaptive is only in the L1, L2 L3 format not sure that works.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skir67, I have done 2 refreshers - both were not even a whole day, and neither was qualification specific, so in both cases I ended up with Grade 3's (Level 2 now).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, rob@rar, freestyle coach?!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Although the one day refreshers might seem a bit of a hassle or not so useful, once you've been qualified a while they are. I did a refresher 3 years after first doing my BASI Instructor, and quite a lot had changed in that time - getting rid of the basic swing for a start! Since then I've been doing ISIA courses (but not the teach or tech), so no refresehers and hence have been unaware of any developments made to the central theme etc. So I've asked other instructors, borrowed a newer copy of the manual etc to keep up to date, but it's not as useful as a day with a trainer. Of course as your experience as an instructor deveops you may not want to follow the central theme, but I think it's good to at least have knowledge of the latest ideas.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beanie1 wrote:
skimottaret, rob@rar, freestyle coach?!

Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
beanie1, But does it matter? I appreciate it does if you're still going through the system, but anyone thinking they'll get any help or insight for their own skiing/teaching at these things will be severely disappointed. On the first one I was effectively the second trainer (although I paid to be there), and on the last one I was paired with a Grade 3 who said she couldn't see anything wrong with my skiing! Clearly her eye was not sufficiently developed!! rolling eyes rolling eyes Laughing There was not enough time to discuss the reasons behind the central theme etc. just to be told 'this is how we do it now' is not a proper refresher. Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, i do think it pretty ridiculous to have L4's and L1's in the same refresher... ("grade 3" went out with the arc Razz Razz ) wink

One of the reasons they are developing the short coaching modules was so that they could be taken instead of refreshers. But these short courses have been "coming soon" for some time now....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, I am well aware, but the person concerned was a Grade 3 - not an L2! I would like to see proper refreshers as in a CPDs for docs etc. It's interesting and instructive, and we've all seen instructors on the mountain still teaching feet together, downsink, pole plant, up-pop, rotate etc... It's just a shame that in all these years they don't seem to have sorted it. The french one was more interesting in terms of discussion, but not much better in terms of actual help and info. Sad Better value I thought though, and at least they came up with a receipt for the professional expense - BASI didn't, even after 3 phone calls. rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski, just busting your chops a bit Toofy Grin

i couldnt agree more that they should have refreshers per grade/level to keep it interesting.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skir67, The requirement is to to with the minimum level of training required to maintain ISIA status (mandated by ISIA).. which is two days every two years - which is the same as 1 day every year.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
After reading this thread I emailed BASI asking them when I am due to do a refresher. I did the EMS training at the end of november 2008, and I have to do a refresher by the 27th November 2009. Hmmmm..... so it looks like my ONLY choices are a 1 day refresher, or L1 freestlye coach, and having to fly in from europe to do it. This could be expensive rolling eyes
snow conditions
skir67, The requirement is to to with the minimum level of training required to maintain ISIA status (mandated by ISIA).. which is two days every two years - which is the same as 1 day every year.

Fair enough then if ISIA are now asking for this. However I'm sure the last one I did was £25 now they seem to be £70 and up (ignoring the one which is £55 as you have to pay slope fees as well). I just feel a bit like BASI are cashing in. My qualifications much like all of yours cost me thousands to do, never mind lost income whilst on training courses. There are various other intangible costs that we bear too. Still I made my choices and I enjoyed the times when I was involved full-time.

I enjoy my teaching and I certainly don't do it solely for the money, but when you're getting paid £11 an hour all these extra training costs add up and make you feel as if someones taking the mickey.
snow report
skir67, when I did a referesher it was £10!!! And that was only in 2006 I think so not so long ago. Didn't include slope fees though, which I think most now do.

freestyleandy, don't they run any refreshers in the Alps?
snow report
beanie1, not many before the 27th November! Can't see any on the website! The other one I might get away with is the L4 teach starting on the 30th November, but having not been on snow since April, might not be the best to go for. Looks like I will be stuck with this early season problem from now on, must have a word with the BASI office Laughing
snow conditions
freestyleandy, you'll still get your licence in Oct though? Is there not some leeway?
ski holidays
freestyleandy, if you are looking for some training or "refreshing" in the Alps from a BASI trainer, you might be interested in the tdc autumn courses - http://www.tdcski.com/about_tdc/other_stuff/basi_prep.shtml there are two weeks of training early in October. A BASI refresher doesn't have to be arranged by BASI it can happen with any trainer.
latest report
Boyceman,
Quote:

A BASI refresher doesn't have to be arranged by BASI it can happen with any trainer.

I know that used to be the case, but I thought they'd changed that rule?
snow report
Boyceman,

P.S. Welcome to Snowheads!
snow report
skimottaret, I wonder if the Eurotest training that BASI run would count as a refresher? Or does it have to be one of the standard modules?
snow report
Thanks for the welcome, as far as I know a refresher can happen with any trainer. I don't think the Eurotest training counts as it is not specific to the BASI product.
latest report
Boyceman, hey you don't work for TDC do you? Only there have been a couple of new posters on Snowheads lately whose first post has been a plug for TDC... wink Very Happy
ski holidays
beanie1, that thought did cynically cross my mind too wink
snow conditions
beanie1, at a wild guess I'd say Boycey has joined the forum Smile

Boyceman, welcome.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy