Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

catering for self catered holidays

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I organise a friends ski trip and last year a friend and I catered the whole party, Breakfast, lunch and supper on a budget. Friends raved about it and have mentioned it to others and we have now been asked to cater for 2 other ski parties one of 12 and 1 of 18.

This is not posh nosh just good quality homecooked food e.g stews, lasagne, chilli etc. for suppers,quiches and soups for lunch, all obviously homemade.

These were all then frozen and we have a way of keeping this food frozen for a self drive trip including a stopover.

We are currently investigating health and safety and labelling but wondered :
a) would anyone be interested in a service?
b) would £45pp for suppers and £55for suppers and lunches be a realistic price?

With a possibility of reducing this depending on numbers in the party.
Many thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
£45pp per week.....??? sure, sounds good if you produce a menu.. but then I guess you will also be staying in the same accomodation...which is less of a problem if the cost of the accom is fixed for the week

Are you touting for business..? sounds like a word of mouth thing that could get you cheap ski hols...altho I would think that chalet companies would kick up if the could...and knew about it, of course..

How do you think this could work... ??
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am trying to remember what freezer space if any we had at the EOSB. Is a freezer normally available at most self-catering apartments?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sorry to clarify we were planning on customer picking up frozen food in uk and re-heating in the chalet themselves rather than us cooking it on site
A bit like a good quality homecooked ready meal, so all customer would have to do is pop food in oven and follow instructions rather than have the hassle of prepping all the food themselves and having to do the shopping etc.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fizz, that sounds a bit pricey to me. £35pppw for supper sounds a bit more like it if you want to be competitive with, say, Cook, who provide a similar sort of service.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fizz, I think you'd find that as soon as you started doing anything of this kind commercially you'd find a lot of regulatory stuff - not just about labelling but also about food handling. It's easy enough to get a food handling certificate, but it also affects where you can make the food - if you do it in your own kitchen you run into all kinds of problems.

I agree with paulio, that your prices are a bit high. For that sort of money you can buy "traiteur" dishes in most ski resorts. And stowing a week's worth of frozen stuff for a group would be pretty well impossible in any ski accommodation I've rented.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sending out frozen food with a customer to travel for a couple of days sounds dodgy too. Can you guarantee that it can be kept at the required temp ( I think an ice box is about -6) for the whole journey, and what happens when you get there? Fridges are often small and freezers non-existent. Leaving it on the balcony could be quite dodgy if it gets sunny during the day. Someone out here will deliver pre-prepared meals for a week, but does so fresh every day. More expensive definitely, but it is freshly prepared.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fizz, I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I dont think you would get away with it tbh! HACCP and other regulation will kick in if it done commercially. You could be exposing yourself to tremendous litigation!

As Helen Beaumont, said it just would not be suitable. Frozen goods have to be kept at -18. Bacteria will have a field day when food is frozen, semi thaw, frozen, cooked, reheated etc.

Stay away from it. I imagine the EHO's in France would come down on you like a ton of bricks!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We stayed in an appartment block in VT teeny tiny freezer compartment built in the fridge wouldn't have held food properly frozen for longer than a few hours, also no oven bar microwave to heat up stuff in which requires defrosting grub long enough to put into microwavable trays or putting food in something microwavable to begin with which rules out cheap ali trays 'a la chinese takeaway'.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fizz, have a look at http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk/ , particularly this page - http://www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk/shelflife.html
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hyweljenkins, look very similar to the compo rations we had in the RAF. Quite good.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles, they're probably not far off that, but, one would hope, slightly better tasting - after all, you probably didn't have chance to shop around!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hyweljenkins, Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hyweljenkins, apparently they are quite nice. Someone I used to work with brought them in for his lunch a few times.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fizz, As others say, it's expensive (In one resort, I'm able to offer 'cooked in resort' three course dinners at 26 euros pppn, with someone based there, who has all the necessary certificates and H & S accreditations). Aside from this, it would be virtually impossible to keep a weeks worth of meals properly frozen en route to France, and again, very few ski properties have freezers of ANY size, let alone large enough for this. Cooking facilities can be pretty basic too - it's commonplace to have no oven. Sorry to rain on your parade Sad There ARE a number of resorts where it's impossible to find catering people to come in, for self-catered properties - it's a niche in the market for someone, but I don't think this system will work
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy