Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap car rental from Munich airport

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Who's the cheapest car rental from Munich - anyone used/got good experiences?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Avis (unusually) was way cheaper than Holiday Autos when I booked recently.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Europcar and Sixt are German-based car rentals, you might try them.

I've just asked our Managing Directors PA who we use and she says she sorts through the internet and books the cheapest offer. No one particular rental firm is always cheaper than the others on a regular basis - depends on time of year and period of rental as well as the size of the vehicle. She did say to make sure you are not charged extra for winter equipment though. So dealing with a German-based company would mean that there would be no extras other than maybe for renting snow chains.

http://www.munich-airport.de/en/consumer/anab/mietwagen/index.jsp takes you to the Munich Airport page listing all the current rental companies.

Hope that helps!

wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Samerberg Sue, I know there are loads of topics on here about winter tyres etc but since I always get a transfer it's never been an issue for me. On any of the car hire websites it always gives you the optional extra of winter tyres but am I right in saying that by law they should be on winter tyres anyway, so as you say I might just need to hire a set of snow chains (Which I think would be prudent given the road to Gerlos was pretty dodgy when I drove it in the summer)?
Thanks again folks - all useful info
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boabski, Beware... Munich has on-airport rental companies (like Sixt, Avis, Hertz) and off-airport rental companies (like I can't remember). Brokers like Holiday Autos tend now to offer the off-airport and, in my view, its a PITA. There isn't much difference in cost using the on-airport guys (try going direct to Sixt) but there is a big difference when it comes to faffing about waiting for non-existant transfer bus or when you're running late getting back to the airport. So, make sure you check that your supplier will give you a car at the airport.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Though the last time I hired off-airport at Munich, instead of a Focus/Megane, I got upgraded to a virtually new C-Class supercharged estate with leather, satnav, bluetooth phone and parking sensors Toofy Grin Much fun was had on the outside lane of the autobahns Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boabski, Have used Avis, Sixt and Europcar from Munich. All were fine and all gave me a better car then I had booked, Europcar was the best as they upgraded me from the Merc A class I booked to an Audi A6 3.0 Quattro .

I can't say for sure why I always get upgraded but suspect it may be something to do with booking an automatic (which I do as that what I drive here and don't want the hassle of remembering to change gear as well as trying to work out where I should be on the road all the time) my theory being that there are probably less autos than manuals and if you're arriving past the middle of the day and the availability is reducing from walk in hirers then it is only the larger and more expensive vehicles left.

I think you said on another thread that you are using Easyjet from Edinburgh and thats what I have used each time I have rented there, so it will be interesting to see what you get compared to what you book. I have never rented in winter though as I normally go for 2 weeks or so and that makes it too expensive for a car to be lying in a garage, mainly unused, during the holiday. I use the train instead, more hassle but a third of the cost based on last winters prices.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boabski, Yep all the cars will have winter tyres, but you may need to rent snow chains as they are not standard issue for rentals. The ADAC rents out snow chains and if you are a member of the AA or RAC, I think you get reciprocal cover and therefore member's rates. If the company's web site is looking to charge you for winter tyres as an optional extra - find another company as they are trying to rip you off!

I would definitely use an on-airport provider for exactly the reasons Bode Swiller, says. Especially the returning part if you have been slowed up on the autobahns.

slikedges, nice one - probably you driving up my tailgate, honking and blinking when I was doing 160kph in the left-hand lane! Laughing Laughing

Sue wink

edited for clarity!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 5-08-09 10:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think ADAC only rent chains to ADAC members. They weren't interested in me joining there and then on the spot and getting the discount for chains purchase or free/cheap rental, but to be fair, it was 10 minutes before closing on a Saturday Lunchtime. Not sure about reciprocal cover though. I'd be surprised if they extended ADAC membership benefits (of which there are many) to non members.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the tips folks. Knew I could trust Smile 's
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I normally rent with Avis through Lufthansa miles and more service, and until now I never better offer from any other rental company. But it's true, I normally don't look for some small local companies which own car or two Smile It's just too comfortable to arrange everything on airport and not bug with companies located 50km off airport Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Used Thrifty via Holiday Autos in June
Their site is off airport about fifteen minutes
Thrifty were fine to deal with
Holiday autos gave out the wrong info re getting picked up though I did complain to them but did not got a reply so will not be using Holiday Autos again though would use thrifty again but would book directly with them
Can see the attraction of using the on site companies if there is little difference in price

On a totally different note re Munich airport if you have time to kill and like Thai food the restaurant at the airport is very good by airport standards.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Second (or third) Bode Swiller's comments about off site rental. One of the companies Holiday Autos used (maybe Budget) are 11 k from airport and only have a seven seater shuttle to take you there. It gets quite competitive for a seat. I landed up going for our bus myself, the rest of the group turned up an hour later having had something of a shouting match with the minibus driver over him trying to allow a bunch of Australians to jump the queue.

Sadly tho, minibus for 5 days with Holiday Autos is £360, £500 with anyone else so I may have a repeat performance this year.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy