Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need some help with Valmorel please

Poster: A snowHead
As you may or may not know I have put my booking to Valmorel on hold due to tour operator website change. however when I looked at the snow coverage I read a few resorts that said sometimes the snow is not good, ARe there new snow cannons there (some of these reports went back to 2005).

They also said that the lifts were very slow and that it was very croweded.

Another down ppoint which concerns me the most is that it says the lifts were badly set out and you often find yourself having to walk uphill to the next lift, the same with the restaurants, they said they seemed to be set in a dip so that you have to walk back uphill?

Can anyone shed any light on this? we are planning going in beginning March
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not my experience. In my two visits I was able to ski station to station everywhere. I also skied other resorts in Tarentaise Valley and did not find the snow condition different from the rest of the valley. If the snow condition is bad in Valmorel then it will be the same case in 3 Vallees. One of the trip was in January new year. There were plenty snow but otherwise a bit gritty (contained stone and gravel occasionally)

Don't think I ever walk in Valmorel but quite a bit in La Rosiere/La Thuile (mainly the longest San Bernado run which is in Italy). The restaurarnts I used were all ski-in and ski-out. I can vouch for every restaurant but it may be a different case if a beginner is confined by less choices and forced to eat in busy places.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree with saikee. I've been a couple of times and had no problem. Last time was an early Easter and although the snow was typical Spring it did cover everywhere, and you could ski back to the resort. Took my kids many years ago and had a great time.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks for the replies. that sounds like good news then. so you didnt have to "pole" or sidestep uphill to get to a connecting lift?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went once donkeys years ago (early 90s) during februaury holidays. Snow was good (but it does mean much..) but more useful for you is that I don't remember having to walk between lifts at all..
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thats good, thanks for the info.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just an update is that I have booked my trip to Valmorel.

I have heard another negative which is the lift is very busy first thing in the morning. does anyone know what time ski school starts and also do you know is there only 1 lift onto the slopes? if not did there used to be only 1 lift? I have been advised to get up on the slopes well before ski school starts. the reason why i booked during term time was so i could avoid it being busy (we are going 6th march)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I skied there a while ago and I think there was just one lift from the centre of the village up. I had a look at a piste map http://www.valmorel.com/images/stories/PDF/plan-pistes.pdf and it still looks the same. I think ski school started at 10.00 (memories of dragging one child alongside me with the other on my shoulders and both skis in one hand!). We skied at an early Easter and although the snow was slushy low down you could still ski right back to the village.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
polo99, that's a good week to choose, the first non-holiday week after the busy February period. So it should be OK - and it's also a good time of year for snow, though there are no guarantees anywhere, obviously. Many places have a bit of a bottleneck first thing - and getting to a main lift before the morning rush sounds like good advice. If that's not possible, have an extra half hour in bed and go up that bit later. If there's any bits of poling between lifts think positive; it's great for warming up, and getting fit. wink

It's surprising how few snowheads seem to know Valmorel well - I've never been, though my two lads went there on a school trip ages ago, and enjoyed themselves. We might ski there this year as our season ski pass includes a free day in St Francois Longchamp.

I'm sure you'll have a great holiday! snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, It must be over 20 years ago that I went from Valmorel to St Francois Longchamp. A great day trip mainly on blues is my recollection. Oh, and falling when I came across a ditch in the piste I hadn't noticed. Didn't hurt myself in the fall, but my brother-in-law, who is about 16 stone, did the same thing and had a softer landing as he landed on me! Missed a morning the next day as I couldn't move my arm.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's some surpirsingly nice off piste in the area too.

Don't recall it being more inconvenient for lifts than anywhere else, there is one slightly oddly placed eatery close to the resort, but I seem to recall a rope tow. Great views from it though. Had poor snow in 1992 or thereabouts, had great snow a couple of years back, loads of freshies. Such is the way of the sport wherever you go.

La Marmite is good for an evening meal, the guy selling from the giant tartiflette in the main street is good for a snack and a break at the Col De la Madeline sign is a must if you watch the Tour de France. Have a good trip!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ah Pam, I hope he didnt hurt you too much lol.

I am really looking forward to my trip but I am finding it really hard to find reveiws on Valmorel or much information. That could be a good thing because it means not many people go there. fingers crossed.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have been Valmorel twice and would rate it a cruising paradise for the beginners and early intermediates.

Every time I skied from Valmorel to the far end passing St Francis LongChamp. Think the last chairlift at the far end is called St Francis (without the LongChamp). It is a day's skiing in itself and very enjoyable with nice restaurants dotted along the route.

I think Valmorel is an ideal place for a family with mixed abilities as it allows everybody enjoying the sport together on a wide and flattish terrain with very few skiers competing for space.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
can anyone tell me what are the prices on the alps for say drinks and lunch?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I learned to ski in Valmorel last year and had a great time there.

It was the week before half -term and although the resort was packed with French families, I haven't noticed any significant queues at the lifts. Having said that, I wasn't usually the first one at the lifts in the morning though.

It is true that the main lift out of the village to where the main slopes are is the Altispace. However, there are two alternative routes to the same spot. Have a look at the Valmorel Pistemap and you will see that you could (1) take a short ski down from the top of the Pierrafort cabine to the Morel drag lift, or (2) could ski a little to the right of the Altispace and take the Lanchettes and Arenouillaz drag lifts instead. So there is no need to join the end of the queue.

As this was my first experience skiing, I cannot really compare the village to other destinations. It has a friendly architecture and is traffic free and very much a family destination. I didn't really explore the apres ski as I have a young child. It is a purpose built resort and quite small. Other than the skiing and the excellent nursery, there isn't much in terms of other facilities/activities. That, however, suited me fine as I loved the skiing and needed my downtime to recuperate.

I would certainly recommend it and in fact, am going back this half term.

there is only one ski school (ESF) and the hours are 9 to 12 AM or 14.30 to 17:00 hours. English classes are only in the afternoon, but do not expect them to be fluent speakers.

Let me know if you need anything further
snow conditions
Been there once in the mid 90s. Thought it was a nice resort with a friendly atmosphere. Good ski-in/out. No queues back then and I don't remember having to walk to lifts. Snow coverage was fine too in mid Feb that year for what it's worth.
snow conditions
I'm biased as I've been going there for 15 years now, every year for 2 weeks at Easter, with 3 kids and various in laws! In all that time I have never not been able to ski to or from Valmorel. We stay at the satellite village Doucy Combelouviere which is on a branch of the ski system. A few times the green down to Doucy is closed in the last week or two of the season but not much else. The whole area is I think very underated. Brits tend to swamp the better known Tarantaise resorts, but if you want a relaxing good value for money holiday, and with a short transfer from Lyon or Geneva, and probably the first resorts you reach by car then look no further.

I've seen so called experts complaining about lack of ski area but as an ex instructor I can assure you this area has it all - cruising runs, trees, nasty bumps, long steep blacks, gentle and serious off piste, snow parks, ski cross tracks etc. Most of the Valmorel ski area is north ish facing so snow holds well. St Francois is more exposed and can get a bit slushy late on but when the snow is good (basically any time pre April) there is plenty to go at. The other thing is that the powder and off piste does not get skied out in 10 mins after a fall. Most visitors are intermediate and stick to the piste, and there is a huge off piste bowl about Valmorel itself that always has untracked snow even a week after a fall.

If you want all day and all night party action then stick to Meribel or Val. If you want a good value family holiday then there are fewer places that are better IMHO. Valmorel is less than 20 mins from Moutier and 30 mins to Albertville - both have good hospitals and supermarkets! Most of the apartments in Valmorel are either on the piste or a few mins walk away. When shown is good you can probably ski to the door on maybe 90% of the blocks. Not the case in Doucy but hey, exercise is good! Mountain restaurants are good IMHO. Best ones are towards St Francois and the one where the web cam is located here - one of the best terrace views in the Alps.

http://www.webcam-ski.com/interfaces/valmorel/interface.php?pk_interface=29&m=images&r=panoramique&width=960&height=665#conteneur_meteo

Ski highlights for me are always:

1. The main "motorway" red down to Valmorel from the Altispace - just a great fast cruising run
2. The Madelaine run from the Col de la Madelaine - another mega cruise
3. The off piste bowl above Valmorel
4. The show off off piste bit under the chairlift between the greens and blues above the Altispace
5. Chasing the kids down the ski cross tracks (there are two).

and if I am feeling like I can be bothered the steep and very bumpy black from Le Mottet.....which in all the years I've been I have only managed a top to bottom non stop once! Maybe again this year......then again probably not!
snow report
quigs,

Welcome to Snowheads!

I echo your sentiments. I am please Valmorel has managed to keep its charm and attraction for all these years. Let the crowd trash the 3V, Paradiski and Espace Killy. I like Valmorel of what it is at the moment. It is refreshing nice place tp ski and certainly a rare gem in France.
ski holidays
... and for a quick update on Valmorel should anyone be interested. They are in the middle of building a Club Med resort on what used to be the beginners area/tennis courts accessed by the Bois de la Croix chair. Club Med will open for the 2011/12 season but in meantime - for those of us going to Valmorel this year - we have lost both the Bois de la Croix and Creve Coeur chairs.

I am told by an ESF instructor friend that there is a moving 'carpet' available to get people from the apartments at Creve Coeur a little higher so that they can then access the Pierrafort gondola. Haven't seen it myself yet.

Roll on 2011/12 when we get a brand new telecabine from Creve Coeur and hopefully more lift updates with Club Med's investment.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy