Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pre-BASI training and assessment?

Poster: A snowHead
We are thinking about offering a day-long coaching clinic for people who are thinking about starting BASI qualifications, but might be unsure if their skiing is at about the right standard to start the process. No firm details or dates yet, so just trying to gauge interest in the idea. We would use a BASI Trainer (who teaches and assesses trainee instructors) for part of the day to give feedback on whether your skiing is at the right standard to get started, and to offer feedback on what areas you might want to develop. The rest of the session would provide an opportunity to develop those areas that are important in the BASI process, including Central Theme and personal performance. Anyone interested?

Those interested:

angel
RPF
blytht
GrahamN

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 9-08-09 19:08; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, Good idea I'm interested.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RPF, excellent Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good idea, rob@rar,
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree with beanie1, good idea. I spoke (in the bar, oh dear Little Angel ) to gillski so you have the right person on hand already.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wayne wrote:
I spoke (in the bar, oh dear Little Angel ) to gillski so you have the right person on hand already.

Yes, it will be gillski who will be the BASI Trainer providing the dates work out for him.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Presumably this is at XScape Castleford Wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, Would be interested in this.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We'd probably both be interested but a bit difficult from here Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, thanks, I've done it again! I keep thinking that Hemel is the centre of the universe and forget to say where our courses are being held Embarassed

blytht, OK, I'll offer a coupl of dates soon. Is a mid-week day possible, or weekends only?

eng_ch, when are you across here next? I'd get serious brownie points at Hemel if I could show that the snowHeads courses were attracting clients from Switzerland Wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, I'm fine with mid-week or weekends.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar,
Did you know the Hemel means Heaven in Dutch. Do we call you St Rob or what?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How about "Mein Got in Hemel"?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone else interested in this? The course is for aspirant instructors who wish to see if they are ready for BASI examination/training weeks. Pete Silver-Gillespie, Director of The Snow Centre ski school and current BASI trainer/examiner will review the group's personal skiing performance, run through exercises required to pass the L1 exams in the morning session and give you a verbal review of where you are at. Rob or Scott will be with Pete during the morning session and will then work with the group in the afternoon addressing group and individual areas for improvement. If you are contemplating trying for an instructor licence this is a great way to see if you are at or near the level required as well as being told what to expect on the BASI course. We need a minimum of five people to run this session, with a maximum of eight. Cost will be £99, with a £10 discount for supersnowHeads. This is a little bit more expensive than our regular clinics but with coaching from a BASI Trainer included for part of the day we think it's still great value for money.

We hope to run this course late September or early October, which will give you time to book one of the BASI Level 1 courses taking place this autumn in the snowdomes (The Snow Centre in Hemel; Chill FactorE in Manchester; the Snowdome in Tamworth and XScape in Braehead, Castleford and Milton Keynes are all running L1 courses) or in one of the winter resorts (Cairngorm, Courchevel, Morzine, Val d'Isere, Hintertux, Soldeu and Zermatt). Check the BASI website for course dates.

If you're interested please email us (visit our website for the address) or post here. It would be helpful if you could indicate whether you had a preference for mid-week or weekends.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As discussed last night, I'm a definite maybe for this. Would probably prefer weekend to mid-week, depending on the date though (can't do 12/13 sept, but that's probably too early for you anyway, not yet decided on whether to do Brit Champs on 26/7 Sept, and am at Brentwood 17th Oct).
latest report
GrahamN, thanks Graham, I'll try to work out some dates and post them here.
snow report
OK, this is now confirmed for Thursday 17th September, with the day starting at 9.30am. I'll be in touch with those of you who have expressed an interest in attending, and anyone else who wants to attend the course should PM me or send an email via Inside Out Skiing.
ski holidays
double post

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 21-08-09 11:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
rob@rar, this is a great idea. I would love to do it, but I know that i do not have the skill set to even think about doing level 1.
snow report
o11y, Level 1 is not a particularly high standard as it is designed to be the first step on the ladder towards becoming fully qualified. The day will identify those areas where you might need further development and provide initial training in those areas. Having seen you ski I'm sure you'd enjoy the day and get a lot from it.
latest report
For everyone who reserved a place on this course the date and payment option is available on our website. Click here to go to the booking page.
snow report
rob@rar, Clicked,Booked,paid................................

Really looking forward to this. Very Happy Very Happy

o11y, Sign up, you know it makes sense Very Happy Very Happy

Hopefully see you on 12th September @ HH also.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 22-08-09 9:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
booked up too Little Angel
snow report
also paid up Very Happy
snow report
angel, excellent!

Any more interested in this day? It will be a small group with some first class coaching from Pete Silver Gillespie and, as usual, skimottaret and myself. Although Pete will be offering feedback on whether your skiing is at the standard to start the BASI process, those people who don't think they are interested in starting instructor training will benefit from the coverage of the skiing fundamentals that we will go through that day. There will be lots of video feedback as usual, plus the opportunity to ski from 9am to 6pm.
ski holidays
I am also interested-will check the website, but thought I would confirm my interest here. Hoping to do L1 in Castleford in Oct, so the timing works well.
snow report
swisssnowbunny, excellent. Please feel free to ask any questions, but if you think it's goig to be useful you can book a place on the course via our website.
snow conditions
Were this not on a weekday I'd do it, but I'm fast running out of annual leave and need it all for a cheeky long weekend/week at Christmas
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Too far south, damn Sad
ski holidays
rob@rar, thanks. I am just trying to work out if I can get that far south- the course itself sounds perfect but the logistics may prove difficult. Will get back to you/book asap.
snow conditions
swisssnowbunny, OK, hope you can make it.

Mosha Marc, sorry, it's a shame that The Snow Centre isn't a portable facility, then we could take it on tour Smile
ski holidays
rob@rar, ah, but we do have some of our own y'know.
latest report
Mosha Marc wrote:
rob@rar, ah, but we do have some of our own y'know.

It would be nice if some of the others were as 'snowHeads-friendly' as Hemel is, but I'm not sure that we could have the same kind of arrangement that we've developed with The Snow Centre. Anything north of Tamworth would also be too far for me and Scott to do in a day trip, so the cost of travel and accommodation would likely mean we couldn't make these type of events work financially for us. Be great if someone locally could build up a similar kind of thing though.
snow conditions
Looking forward to tomorrow everyone? Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
blytht, Unfortunately, I cant make tomorrow now. Not pleased but such is life. Crying or Very sad
Hope it goes well. The last InsideOut Course was really good. This sounded like it would have been very good.
Evil or Very Mad
Please post reports and enjoy Madeye-Smiley
latest report
First things first a big thank you to Rob, Scott, Pete.

Also Angel and GrahamN for allowing us all view each others video's Shocked Shocked

What an eye-opener on how to teach skiing. The passion these guys show for there skiing is incredible, they have a
way to uncover your weaknesses and give you the neccessary "Tools/Drills" to demonstrate that weakness, but this allows
you to correct/practice.

The way the BASI "Central Theme" was explained by Pete was extremely interesting.

Interesting to see(Video evidence!!) how you think you can do simple snowplough and demonstrate it repeatedly. rolling eyes rolling eyes

I enjoyed the whole day, and now I have a decision to make Toofy Grin
ski holidays
A big thank you from me as well for another very productive and enjoyable day. Lots more drills to practice!

Just got to decide when/where to do BASI 1 now - and find a money tree growing somewhere!!
snow conditions
blytht, that practice on Sat obviously stood you in good stead wink
ski holidays
cathy, Hee Hee, nothing I could teach you anyway Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
a big well done to the 3 fellow SH's who endured our "BASI L1 in a day" course... a huge amount of things to cope with and no time to let it sink in but we hope everyone will have gotten a feel for what a BASI week would be like.

ps i think there could very well be 3 more SH instructors sometime soon after their respective performances....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy