Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dry Slopes

Poster: A snowHead
I go to a dry slope in Stoke on a monday night in the run up to the season. The tuition is good but the slope itself is short with the run over in about eight seconds. It's also good in the fact that a dry slope is harder to ski on than the real thing. This makes skiing on snow feeling like you suddenly better than you thought you where.
Has anybody got any good experience of dry slopes or is indoor snow domes like Hemel the only way to go?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ph, any skiing is better than no skiing, especially if the tuition is good. Prices are much cheaper at dryslopes, and for there are many more around the UK so less travelling time can be a benefit. I much prefer snow rather than plastic, for a long list of reasons, and I'm more inclined to ski indoors than out when in the UK. But there are a many people, including quite a few snowHeads, who have used dryslopes to reach a very high standard of skiing.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Eight seconds ? Even the best of english racers take about 12s (albeit that is around poles). If you are taking only eight then you should be racing for GB!

By comparison, at the recent Hemel GP, fastest times were a bit over 11s - so that can't be any longer!

If you want a longer dry slope. then head for Pontypool - fastest time around 21s.

(times based on recent results as published on britski.)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ph, if you're getting down Stoke in 8 seconds, you probably ought to be racing - at the Club National in June the winner's best time was 11.95, and the highest ranked skier in the country should have taken about 11.10 Wink . There are plenty shorter than Stoke around too. It is a total waste of time just pointing down and going, as it's over (as you say) so quickly. But use it for technique development and it's a completely different kettle of fish. Even as (now) a big fan of dry-slope skiing (I typically go 2-3 times a week throughout the year), I do have to conceed that snowdomes are more pleasant, with a load more grip and MUCH easier to ski on, which allows you to be more adventurous and more willing to push the envelope. This does come at a significant extra financial commitment though - I'm currently also averaging over 1 session a week at Hemel, but it's not something I can really envisage doing at that frequency all year around.

Anyway, from what I saw, at Stoke you can always get a bit of variety in the skiing by stopping every now and then and doing a little light weeding - wouldn't go amiss Wink .
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RobW, snap Wink . The winners at Stoke took almost exactly the same time for their runs at Hemel. You do though go quite a bit faster on indoor snow, so times for an equivalent distance will be shorter. Hemel is a bit longer - both races had 14 gates, but the gates were spaced a bit further apart (vertically and laterally) at Hemel. Maybe ph could also take a trip to Rossendale? But maybe get diverted to Chill Factore on the way Wink .

See you tomorrow.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I believe sheffield has the longest dryslope in the Uk, claims 300m top to bottom but the top half is crap as they have no sprinkelers on it. The snowflex is good for learning tricks on as well
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rambotion, Hillend near Edinburgh is longer - 400m Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ph, Stick to dry slopes for tuition, as you say plastic is less forgiving for bad technique. Indoor slopes are good for practice, but they only offer one type of snow condition and atmospheric condition. I have met many VERY good skiers from Stoke who have had relatively little experience on snow but are S*** HOT all round skiers.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RobW wrote:
Eight seconds ? Even the best of english racers take about 12s (albeit that is around poles). If you are taking only eight then you should be racing for GB!

By comparison, at the recent Hemel GP, fastest times were a bit over 11s - so that can't be any longer!

If you want a longer dry slope. then head for Pontypool - fastest time around 21s.

(times based on recent results as published on britski.)

Eight seconds = wimp.
I did the Hahnenkamm in Kitzbühel in 2 hours 45 mins. Only done it once so that the mark to beat. Oh and we stopped at quite a few cafes on the way down. Mind you, you do need to depart from the "normal" race route to reach the cafes, but it's much more civilised that way. Madeye-Smiley so ph I'm sure you could extend the eight seconds to a least an hour or so with some slight divergence from the standard route down the plastic, that way you'll get more skiing for your money (maybe)
http://www.hahnenkamm.com/
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RobW,
Quote:

If you are taking only eight then you should be racing for GB!

Get me in the Union Jack lycra. wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Anyway, from what I saw, at Stoke you can always get a bit of variety in the skiing by stopping every now and then and doing a little light weeding

Laughing so true!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wayne, I would love to do a run for 2 hours 45 minutes. Bring it on. Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I did the Hahnenkamm in Kitzbühel in 2 hours 45 mins

I make that an average of 1.2km/hr and at that speed down any dryslope you could probably get a good minutes ski
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ph, Keep going to the plastic fantastic, it'll do your skiing no end of good, and personally I prefer to ski outside and not to spend my entire month's spending money on one session! Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Eight seconds in a straight line, perhaps equivalent to 15 or even 18 round poles. But give the training a go before you feel the need to travel to Manchester or Tamworth and spend excessive amounts of money.
snow report
easiski, I have been the Manchester Chill Factor and i was not impressed.
I will stick to plastic and of course the real thing during the season.
latest report
I ski on a dry slope twice a week, very good for performance or race training. Obviously much harder to ski on than snow due to the increased resistance but very good for developing ones technique. Make too many mistakes and you will be very sore......
latest report
ph wrote:
easiski, I have been the Manchester Chill Factor and i was not impressed.
I will stick to plastic and of course the real thing during the season.

How come easiski ? what did you dislike about it?
snow conditions
Skyhawk, I think i was expecting to much from the Chill Factor. It was congested and the slope was short. At least with dry slope you know what you are going to get. It's there to practice and that's it.
snow report
I go to a dryslope that is close to where I live - I've never timed myself down the slope! If I want to go to a snowdome then it's around 100 miles so a bit of a trek for an evening. I've met a great bunch of people and join in with a fun group so I'm happy with the social side as well as being able to improve my skiing and fitness. I know some people turn up their noses at dryslopes and wouldn't dream of going to one but these are usually people who have learnt when they were young or have the opportunity to ski quite a bit on snow. As somebody who has learnt later in life and become something of an addict then it's the dryslope or nothing except for my week on snow so I'm grateful to put my skis on anywhere really.
snow conditions
Wayne, My attempt at that run took a similar amount of time, due to end of day tiredness, and my weakness for radler in the sun!
snow report
ph wrote:
At least with dry slope you know what you are going to get. It's there to practice and that's it.

What did you expect from chill factore? Its a big fridge set on a slant partially filled with fake snow with 2 poma lifts. What more did you want? A cafe halfway down and some gnarly techinal stuff?
snow conditions
anotherproblem, I know i should not have expected the Alpes in Manchester. For some reason i did.
I will stick to a dry slope from now on.
snow report
ph wrote:
I will stick to a dry slope from now on.

Get some 4Matt wax on your skis. That'll stop the problem.... Laughing
latest report
I can do something that is a lot faster than eight seconds..............
snow report
I learnt to ski at Hillend, back when there was a face and an elbow. I remember one time I was up there and it was snowing, my brother and I dashed off into the hills with our skis on to try out some "real stuff". We got into a bit of trouble from the staff.
Anyway, after a trip to Austria with the school I didn't ski again for about 10 years.
Took it up again a couple of years ago on a much shorter dry slope in Southampton, which was fine. I sometimes make the trek up to Milton Keynes to practice on a bit of indoor stuff. I don't mind using either - both are quite short - not sure if I'd take my new skis on the dry slope, but then again sometimes the snow at MK is terrible. I'd agree with you that dry slope makes skiing on snow seem so much easier.
snow report
Depends if you like what 'dendex' does to the human body??

Nice wet Snowflex is a better surface to play on but hopeless if you use too much edge. A dry slope is way better than nothing and Indoor freezer ice is better than dry. Its just a balance of cost and accessability

One thing on a dry slope is that it is fairly unforgiving of poor technique (IMHO) so if you ski well on dendex or snowflex then it should certianally have you ready for the season.
latest report
Just make sure you don't use your own skis unless you want them trashed.

Getting down in 8 secs vs the 11 secs of racers isn't that huge a deal. If the OP is doing bigger than SL sized turns (which if he is not on SL skis he will be) then he will get down much quicker.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Despite being comfortable tackling any piste (and most mid-level off-piste) anywhere in the Alps or Pyrenees that I've ever been, I still get nervous on my first couple of runs back on unforgiving plastic. So def agree with kevindonkleywood re plastic forcing good technique.

BTW. I learned to ski on the plastic hill at Craigavon in Norn Iron. I turned up for a session one evening just as some light snow had begun to fall, only to be told that the slope was closed because of the 'bad weather' rolling eyes
latest report
Snow Beard wrote:
Despite being comfortable tackling any piste (and most mid-level off-piste) anywhere in the Alps or Pyrenees that I've ever been, I still get nervous on my first couple of runs back on unforgiving plastic. So def agree with kevindonkleywood re plastic forcing good technique.

BTW. I learned to ski on the plastic hill at Craigavon in Norn Iron. I turned up for a session one evening just as some light snow had begun to fall, only to be told that the slope was closed because of the 'bad weather' rolling eyes

rolling eyes ski slope closed due to snow Madeye-Smiley

We had snow on the dry slope in Kilternan last year and it was fantastic.
snow report
Went to the Ackers in B'ham in the heavy snow at the start of this year and they warned me it was the equivilant to riding a black because of the conditions, bless 'em! Laughing

Really good day though, they were happy for you to ride anything (including the 'off piste')!
ski holidays
manicpb, sweet
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy